spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Break Aes

join:2011-08-29
Los Gatos, CA

ISP recommendations for the Los Gatos Hills area?

Hi,

I'm going to be moving to the Los Gatos Hills in late September. My future landlord tells me Verizon DSL is the only ISP in the area. I thought I'd check and see if there are any other options.

From San Jose I'll be off of Highway 17 on Brush Road, before Redwood Estates.

Here's a map: »maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=···023&z=16

Comcast doesn't go up there. Hughesnet has very extreme bandwidth caps. I know there's some wireless broadband although I don't know if I can get it there. And I know someone who lives in the mountains who uses long range wifi, which I'm not familiar with...maybe that would be an option although I don't know how expensive it would be.

I'd like the best customer service and speeds I can get for a good price, although I know my options are very limited there. And I'd prefer to not have any bandwidth caps.

Let me know if you know of anything other than Verizon.

Thanks!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
I was going to suggest Sonic.net, but they only use AT&T, and it looks like you're in Verizon territory.

prag

join:2000-12-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to Break Aes
Check out Etheric - they have high speed wireless around that area. Last time I checked, they were up to 20Mb/s SYMMETRIC speeds, and possibly higher by now. If you can see the valley floor or possibly Mission Peak, you have a good chance.
--
Blue Skies !

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Holy crap, seems their intended customer demographic is "rich people with 4 million dollar mansions living in the Los Altos hills":

»www.etheric.net/residential.html
»www.etheric.net/soho.html

Ouch.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Break Aes
For residential DSL service your landlord is most likely correct.

If you want to have high speeds and no caps you need to step up to business Internet service. For business Internet some parts of Los Gatos Hills are served by both AT&T and Verizon (and perhaps other providers as well) but not only are the monthly rates much higher then residential DSL service, there can be very substantial circuit setup costs too.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to koitsu
Yikes. Caps.

Break Aes

Los Gatos, CA
reply to Break Aes
Thanks for the replies. I saw Etheric, but it's way overpriced. Maybe Verizon DSL will end up being the only option, but I won't give up till I'm sure.

Anything else worth looking into?

LBDSL
Lightning Bolt

join:2002-01-07
Auburn Hills, MI

1 edit
reply to Break Aes

Break Aes

Los Gatos, CA
reply to Break Aes
What about long range wifi? Does anybody know anything about that?

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
reply to Break Aes
Verizon DSL.

I have it up here, and get 15Mbps down/1Mbps up.
Though, you seem to be pretty far from the CO here.

Since you are on that side of the mountain, you might want to check out Verizon LTE.

crsbm

@verizon.net
Yes. Verizon LTE give fast speeds for me (10Mbps down, 7Mbps up), but the connection drops frequently. I can get is somewhat improved if I play with the receiver location. I'm paying $80/month for 10 Gb.

ConstantineM

join:2011-09-02
San Jose, CA
reply to Break Aes
If the place is newer than 1995 and the building has at least 20 units, you /might/ get webpass.net to establish their presence. As per their web-site, they offer free installation (no charge to the property owner) with 100 or more units. However, South Bay still being outside of their existing service area, I doubt they'll go after small complex at first (read: installation with fewer than 100 units might be too expensive or unfeasible so far away from SF), so don't get your hopes too high.