FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

FarmerBob to mikeiver7

to mikeiver7

Re: Qwest Wants Me To Help Them Troubleshoot?

said by mikeiver7:

. . . Do not use CAT5e for the phone line to the router. The capacitance per meter is much higher than that of CAT3 and will have a detrimental effect on the performance if the run is a fair length.

That's strange. I have had 24AWG Cat5 (175-200 ft) for years (Sprint installed it for their 10/10 SDSL and 4 phone line ION service) and have used it with many services and this was never brought up. And the one Q Tech that was able to find my initial problem with Qwest, bad lines from the CO to the cross box (that have been fixed with FTTN or so said), after many techs failed, said he got the same identical reading at the NID as he did at the plug. And reading the bare wire for resistance issues said the line from the NID to the jack that plugged directly into the modem "was the cleanest and best run he'd ever seen". Then with his personal knowledge of Qwest line noise issues and their hardware, he grabbed the right modem (2Wire 2701HG-D) that he knew could deal with the noise on the Qwest lines. I already had every modem Qwest used, from trying to TS this for years, and they did not work, except that one. Until recently, even with the new FTTN upgrade in my area, it did the trick nicely. That is until I started having complete phone and DSL outages. A couple weeks ago I was sent a PK5000, no difference.

I have always heard and noticed, as well as what the manufacturing specs are, that as you go up Cat4, 5, 5e, 6, 7 the transmission capability gets better? Would that not hold the same for this? Or are we talking a Qwest thing here? Just very curious. Thanks.
Pringlescan
join:2007-01-05
Des Moines, IA

Pringlescan

said by FarmerBob:

said by mikeiver7:

. . . Do not use CAT5e for the phone line to the router. The capacitance per meter is much higher than that of CAT3 and will have a detrimental effect on the performance if the run is a fair length.

That's strange. I have had 24AWG Cat5 (175-200 ft) for years (Sprint installed it for their 10/10 SDSL and 4 phone line ION service) and have used it with many services and this was never brought up. And the one Q Tech that was able to find my initial problem with Qwest, bad lines from the CO to the cross box (that have been fixed with FTTN or so said), after many techs failed, said he got the same identical reading at the NID as he did at the plug. And reading the bare wire for resistance issues said the line from the NID to the jack that plugged directly into the modem "was the cleanest and best run he'd ever seen". Then with his personal knowledge of Qwest line noise issues and their hardware, he grabbed the right modem (2Wire 2701HG-D) that he knew could deal with the noise on the Qwest lines. I already had every modem Qwest used, from trying to TS this for years, and they did not work, except that one. Until recently, even with the new FTTN upgrade in my area, it did the trick nicely. That is until I started having complete phone and DSL outages. A couple weeks ago I was sent a PK5000, no difference.

I have always heard and noticed, as well as what the manufacturing specs are, that as you go up Cat4, 5, 5e, 6, 7 the transmission capability gets better? Would that not hold the same for this? Or are we talking a Qwest thing here? Just very curious. Thanks.

I actually run CAT5e from the gray box outside to a terminal inside. Then from the terminal to my modem/router. The CAT5e was even bought from menards. No real issues. Even when Qwest cam out to troubleshoot some issues they liked what I did and even redid the connections.
mikeiver7
join:2008-04-13
Albany, NY

mikeiver7 to FarmerBob

to FarmerBob
There has been a shift towards using CAT5e or better lately but on older runs the CAT5e will not get you anything in way of performance. The xDSL just doesn't drive that kind of bandwidth down the line. The phone systems physical network is different from that of the Ethernet physical. The phone system is much more lax compared to Ethernet.

CAT7, are you kidding me? CAT5e for GigE is just fine provided you use good connectors and proper termination. I run all GigE at my home and have 16 drops in total and all run with no lost packets day and night. Save your money!

FarmerBob
join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Calix 716GE-I
Netgear Orbi RBK853
Netgear RAXE500

1 edit

FarmerBob

said by mikeiver7:

. . . CAT7, are you kidding me? CAT5e for GigE is just fine provided you use good connectors and proper termination. I run all GigE at my home and have 16 drops in total and all run with no lost packets day and night. Save your money!

That's the same reaction I got when I was running 5e and it was the latest and greatest. In a couple of years 7 will be common and for now "future proofed" when they say this about Cat12 . . .
mikeiver7
join:2008-04-13
Albany, NY

mikeiver7

The price of 10GigE is likely not to come down to where it is reasonable for the average user to own the hardware. Add in the fact that the clients are not going to exploit even a 10th of that capability and you have a waste of money. An HD stream is only on the order of 40Mb/s or so so what are you going to do with the other 99.75% of the bandwidth? Even the video stream driving the digital projection systems used in the commercial movie theaters is only 3Gb/s. By the way, they use a pair of BNC terminated coax lines for the link.

Frankly, if you are really worried about future proofing your infrastructure then you should be thinking fibre rather than copper. It is cheaper, more reliable and even run of the mill stuff can carry 100Gb/s no problem. There will be no interference, no length limit (at least not one you likely need be concerned with, 550M for Multimode), no corrosion issues, easier to terminate than CAT7. The list goes on.

Personally I can't see 10GigE over copper as being practical and would hedge my bets towards fibre at those speeds and above. The reason that the carriers are moving towards fibre is the reduction of maintenance cost and the future proofing that comes with it as well.