All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

james301
@comcast.net

james301

Anon

How do I switch to Comcast Business Internet?

I've heard that the comcast business internet does not have a cap, so I am wondering what steps I need to switch from my residential internet to business?

Do I cancel my residential internet first and then call comcast business? or should I just call comcast and tell them I want to switch from residential to business? Do I need to show proof I have a business I mean I'm just im my little apartment but I do have an online business.

MOWAA
join:2010-03-25
Fort Lauderdale, FL

MOWAA

Very easy in most areas.
Just call them and inform you run a home based business and want to switch from residential to business class, they should be able to handle it over the phone, I was never asked to show proof of business.

Do note you may lose any bundled discounts you have.

Metalmania31
join:2011-09-02

Metalmania31 to james301

to james301
It's even easier than that. Just call the comcast business customer service number ask them you want to switch. If they ask just give them your reason. Our was to get more bandwidth as is your case. So it was no problem.

C_Chipperson
Monster Rain
Premium Member
join:2009-01-17

C_Chipperson

Premium Member

Will they let me keep my Motorola SB6120 or do I have to get the business class modem that everyone always seems to be bitching about?

Metalmania31

Metalmania31

They will give you a new modem when the technician comes. The old one you can return to comcast. The business class modem is pretty big btw, at least mine is, so make room for it.
Why are people bitching about it? The size of it?

Chester2
join:2000-10-17
Menlo Park, CA

Chester2 to james301

to james301
Just go to »business.comcast.com/ and give them a call. They will be happy to take your business. Just tell them it is for a home office. They'll just want to know it is a residential install. They don't care about your business or if you even have one.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan to Metalmania31

to Metalmania31
said by Metalmania31:

They will give you a new modem when the technician comes. The old one you can return to comcast. The business class modem is pretty big btw, at least mine is, so make room for it.
Why are people bitching about it? The size of it?

Because they have to pay to rent it, when you shouldn't have to do so.

Metalmania31

Metalmania31

Ah I see. You know what's stupid is it cost more for the residential modem @ $7 vs the $5 for the business. Go figure.
jagilbertvt6
join:2008-10-04
South Burlington, VT

jagilbertvt6 to james301

to james301
I'm wondering if anyone has switched from a triple play package to Comcast Business Class? I'm a little over one year into having Triple Play promotional plan, but as I understand it there is a early termination fee.

Namely, I'm wondering if the termination fee would apply if I'm switching to Comcast Business (I'm suspecting so)?

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by jagilbertvt6:

Namely, I'm wondering if the termination fee would apply if I'm switching to Comcast Business (I'm suspecting so)?

Yes, Business class is a completely new, separate service (and bill) that cannot be bundled with residential TV and or voice for a discount.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to Metalmania31

Premium Member

to Metalmania31
the business class modem/gateway completely replaces your network router also. If I remember correctly it is near impossible to get Comcast to put the business class modem into bridge mode so you can use your own router.

Metalmania31

Metalmania31

That's not entirely true. I'm still using my Linksys WRT54G with it. I just set the modem to static IP as a gateway and pointed my router to it. I disabled the DHCP function. I did notice on the FAQ for the modem there are wireless instructions as well, but I think my modem model doens't have that capability. The option to use the modem/router is probably there though. But my modem doesn't have the ability to setup wireless.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

the business class modem/gateway completely replaces your network router also. If I remember correctly it is near impossible to get Comcast to put the business class modem into bridge mode so you can use your own router.

With dynamic IPs. With static IPs, a supported configuration is "true static" (which isn't bridge mode, but it turns the SMC into a dumb router.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

I guess I am just doing it wrong:

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

i hope you know what I meant.
ArrayList

ArrayList to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
this is exactly what I meant.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to C_Chipperson

Premium Member

to C_Chipperson
said by C_Chipperson:

Will they let me keep my Motorola SB6120 or do I have to get the business class modem that everyone always seems to be bitching about?

I would insist on keeping the Motorola when signing the contract, and refuse install if they want to give you an SMC.

Also, you should have 30 days to cancel the service if you aren't happy. Insist on the Motorola or cancel the service within those 30 days.

Metalmania31

Metalmania31

Why so adamant about keeping the original modem?