All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

some_guyy
@comcast.net

some_guyy

Anon

6580..PCs very slow to connect to network?

When I or my wife open out laptops it takes 4-6 or more minutes before we can get internet connectivity from out wireless network. The 6580 is always on.

Away from home, I am online as soon as I can get a browser window open. Any ideas? Its very aggravating.

We use Comcast.

Thanks.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Make sure the driver for the wireless card in the laptop is up to date. I installed a new Linksys E4200 to replace an older WRT54G. I forgot to update the drivers in the laptops. One older Gateway would not stay connected and the owner called to complain. I went back, updated driver and it worked better at quickly connecting and staying connected.

Tapple
@rr.com

Tapple to some_guyy

Anon

to some_guyy
You're likely having a problem with wifi signal interference. Reguardless of how many bars of signal show on you screen, if there is a large amount of interference it'll take forever to connect.

After you get online, do a speed test at speedtest.net. If the results are close to what you're paying for I'm worng, look into wifi drivers. If you're getting pathetic slow speeds, look into changing your wireless channel on your equipment.

If you rent/borrow your equipment from your provider, you will likely need to contact them for help. Make sure your computer is within 10ft of the modem before you call and be sure to ask the technician the signal DBmv number is at for you computer. This is a good messure of your signal quality.

0 is a perfect signal, -30 is average. -50 is okay. -70 is poor, and -100 is next to nothing.

Having them change the wireless channel should make this number change. Try to get it as close to 0 as you can.