spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lockh33d

join:2008-05-29

1 edit

Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Modem - Too Old?

Hi, I have had a Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem for at least 6 years and within the past 7 or 8 months or so, I have been experiencing a lot of random connection issues and Windows Troubleshooter usually always points to the modem as the source.

I have read some reviews and posts dating back as far as 2003, putting this model at a minimum of 8 years old.
Should I call my ISP and have them replace it with a new one? If so, do newer modems give any problems with P2P like bittorrent?

Thanks =)

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
If you are paying a lease fee for the modem, which I hope you are not, then call the ISP and ask for a replacement. They have made more than enough money from the lease to provide you a new modem. If you own the modem then you will have to buy a replacement that your ISP supports. You do not state who the ISP is, so we cannot help with that task. but most ISPs that support the SB5100 will support any of the newer Motorola cable modems. The new modems should have no effect on P2P. The regulation of P2P is usually handled elsewhere in the cable ISP's network. The DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola modems have delivered outstanding results for some users even in DOCSIS 2.0 only cable systems. If your ISP supports the DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola modems I would get one of those.

»www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions···e-Modems

lockh33d

join:2008-05-29
My ISP is Rogers Cable and I do lease the modem. Thanks for the help =)

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to lockh33d
I have the exact same modem as you, but after a year of renting, I just went ahead and decided to BUY the modem. It's rock solid with no noticed connection drops. If anything, when the internet does go down, the immediate culprit has always turned out to be the router behind the modem. SB5100 are pretty rock solid modems even today. I think I've owned it for over 3 years now.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP