how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hyemb

join:2011-08-31
High Point, NC

choosing a new router

i have been look at wireless routers for weeks now and still cant decide on one.
i had been looking at the linksys E4200, but i heard the external antennas are better than internal ones.

i have been on newegg.com and a few other sites that list the top wireless gaming routers of 2011. i have also been reading reviews for routers that have interested me.

i have been looking at D-Link DGL-4500 Gigabit Gaming Router 802.11a/b/g/n 2.4/5GHz Selectable Dual Band Xtreme N

but the more i research the more uncertain i become about choosing a router for me.

i am currently using a linksys WRT54G2 v 1.5
i am looking for a gaming router, a router that gaming will be a priority before anything else.

can anyone help me with opinions or suggestions??

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
You are going to get a lot of different opinions on what to buy. I have had great luck with the Netgear WNDR3700 and the Linksys E4200. I have heard good things about the D-link that you mentioned as well. In essence, all these routers are going to have their fans and detractors. The best thing you can do is research each one and make a decision based on what you like. If you like the D-link, then buy it. Just looking at that router, it looks solid. Of course, I love my Netgear WNDR3700 too. That gigabit router is nice.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to hyemb
i just realized that the dlink is selectable dual band. does this mean that both 2.4 and 5 ghz wont be running at the same time??
wouldn't it be better if it was simultaneous dual band ??

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
reply to hyemb
The WNDR3700 has dual band.

Parth

join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY
reply to hyemb
If D-Link says it is selectable dual band then yes it will not run simultaneously.

I prefer a simulatenous dual band router in this age. The 2.4Ghz spectrum is eaten up (if you have a lot of routers already broadcasting in your area) but you also need to keep 2.4Ghz around for devices that don't support 5Ghz WiFi. The D-Link router supports one or the other, but not at the same time.

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to hyemb
i guess im not going with the dlink router then, i was pretty excited about it too, ehh.
i would rather spead more time researching it then making a hasty decision.

dlink has gamefuel, all that is, is intelligent QOS right?? im assuming the WNDR3700 has pretty good QOS as well?

and any other router suggestions??
also does internal antennas mean loss of range?
sorry about all the questions lol

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:153
reply to hyemb
As a dgl-4500 owner several times over I feel obligated to steer you away from this one. Dlink had a great original product then screwed it up badly with broken firmware that took months and I do mean months to finally get a working version.

In the meantime thousands of people waited with literally bricked or unusable units with no help from Dlink except months of excuses. We finally got together and filed mass BBB complaints and reported it to the media and ONLY then did Dlink get off their ass an start replacing the routers.

When they finally fixed it the end result was a DGL-4500 not worthy of owning for the price we paid. I have since replaced them with the latest Asus RTN56U and all I can say is WOW! This router performs and performs VERY well. The only quirks to speak of that might annoy you are extremely minor and for most people will not cause them issue. Beware of the NAS server limitations however...it only supports 2TB or less drives which for most people is not an issue AND it is a bit tricky to get working the first time (it can be a bit confusing).

Once you get everything setup this router will be your best friend! Is that to say there aren't issues with firmware...no...there are a couple of things however unlike Dlink, Asus has been reasonably fast in correcting them along the way.
--
~From time to time my posts may contain information derived from publicly available sources. If you ever have any question as to the source please feel free to ask and I will provide them to you.~

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to hyemb
as far as gaming goes, how is the setup for gaming applications, QOS?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by hyemb:

as far as gaming goes, how is the setup for gaming applications, QOS?

Very straightforward and plenty of extra features you wouldn't expect. If you need screenshots or anything let me know.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

hyemb

High Point, NC
yea screenshots as well as any other information, like signal strength from a distance. i prefer external antennas since the signal reaches farther

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
said by hyemb:

yea screenshots as well as any other information, like signal strength from a distance. i prefer external antennas since the signal reaches farther

I'll grab some screenshots from a couple of reviews and get them posted. Now you hit on one of the only complaints I have about this router...NO EXTERNAL antenna connections. This thing is so SMALL that there almost isn't any room for them. When I say it's small...I mean really freakin small...shockingly small. Back at ya in a bit.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless···reviewed

»www.maximumpc.com/article/review···r_review

»www.trustedreviews.com/Asus-RT-N···l_review

»www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3853/a···ex4.html

One thing I want to point out about some of the user reviews. Some refer to DOA units (thats just gonna happen sorry) and others list complaints about issues that have either been resolved or were never issues to begin with or user error. That's not to say the device doesn't have some minor issues because it does but in my opinion they are minor when compared to the performance and other routers brands.
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to hyemb
I am hoping to get my hand on a zyxel NBG5715 for a trial in the near future. It looks promising but obviously cannot recommend a model that has not even been reviewed yet.

»www.us.zyxel.com/Products/detail···856EFECF

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by Anav:

I am hoping to get my hand on a zyxel NBG5715 for a trial in the near future.

IIRC, you're a Zyxel dealer? What are the real hardware specs on it.. CPU, RAM, flash? If it's a strong hardware platform and they GPL firmware, I can guarantee pretty solid global adoption.
--
I'm pretty sure the small hole isn't a reset button, but is actually a microphone hole. So best not to stick anything inside it. (credit: Rashdan@slatedroid)

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
Dont have any specs yet but that is a good point (what is behind the glossy).

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by Anav:

Dont have any specs yet but that is a good point (what is behind the glossy).

With that being said, what's behind the glossy is looking sexxxay If the specs are right, I might be tempted
--
I'm pretty sure the small hole isn't a reset button, but is actually a microphone hole. So best not to stick anything inside it. (credit: Rashdan@slatedroid)

Anav
Premium
Dartmouth, NS
If I send you one, I may have to stretch a rubber over it first LOL.

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to hyemb
so this router isnt out yet??
i found it on newegg.com, it says out of stock

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
reply to Anav
said by Anav:

If I send you one, I may have to stretch a rubber over it first LOL.

No worries, I'm clean and my wife'd understand Actually, the first thing I'd do is open it up, take photos and post'em up on the OpenWRT wiki... Then I'd start trying to figure out what's there, is it already support it, how to build and how to flash.

Just kidding.. I'd take a look at the stock webif and put it through its paces before trying what was mentioned in the above paragraph
--

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to Nightfall
why didnt you go for the WNDR4000?? or even the WNDR37AV ( it states its made for video and gaming)

and is there any difference between the WNDR3800 and the WNDR3700 besides the color and that its titled "Premium Edition" ??

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
Unless I hear different from someone who opened all 3 up and looked what's on the inside, I don't think 3800 and 4000 offer anything extra, other than possibly firmware features, which are useless to most of us. 3700 is an excellent hardware platform with proven support for third-party firmware. It's still at the top of the consumer gear rankings.
--

hyemb

High Point, NC
the 4000 can reach speeds up to 450mbps, is that not a reason to pay extra??

FiReSTaRT
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom
said by hyemb:

the 4000 can reach speeds up to 450mbps, is that not a reason to pay extra??

Of course, at 2" from the wireless client in a room shielded from all sources of RF interference

Never base your wireless router purchase on the manufacturer's claims.. You'll be SADLY disappointed. If you need to move a lot of data, go hardwired. For casual Internet use, even G will do.

With that being said, WISP-grade gear could give you decent speeds/latencies in areas where running wired is impractical, but that's not within scope of this discussion.
--
Never under estimate a Southern gentleman with a backhoe and a shotgun (credit: »blog.level3.com/2011/08/04/the-1···r-cuts//)

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to hyemb
on newegg.com the price difference between the 3700 and 4000 is just $20.
these are the routers i have been comparing as of late
»www.newegg.com/Product/Productco···4-070-TS

if the link doesnt show them here they are
belkin N750
asus RT-N56U
trendnet tew-692GR
netgear WNDR4000
netgear WNDR3700

if anyone had to choose between these 5 routers, which would you choose?
i have never really messed with routers besides changing the default settings of the router for my gaming consoles.
so keep firmware changes aside. i can always research the different firmware that you guys were talking about, and change the firmware if it would better the router.
thank you for your help

NETGEAR Team

@comcast.net
reply to FiReSTaRT
WNDR3700 is a solid platform with 300 + 300 Mbps simultaneous dual band
Gigabit Ports
USB port for Storage
DLNA Certified
Broadband Usage Meter
Live Parental Controls
Guest Networks

WNDR4000 offers the same features but also does 40 Mbps on the 5 ghz band.

WNDR3800 takes the WNDR3700 features to a new level with Premium features.
Readyshare Cloud
ClearChannel Selector
Genie Desktop App
Apple Time Machine Compatible
Dedicated Video mode for more reliable Video streaming
TIVO extended storage support

You can learn more at www.netgear.com/wndr3800

Thanks

NETGEAR Team

hyemb

High Point, NC
reply to hyemb
opinions anyone???

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
I like the netgear WNDR3700 and the asus, for what its worth.

unkz

@etlink.pl
Netgear is good, but... I have WNDR 3700 and Belkin N1 Vision and Belkin has slightly better range. I use both devices as access points.
After I upgrade to new firmware, the signal strength started to floating every few seconds. Well, maybe it is OK.
Trednet has external antennas which can be helpful if you have problem with range.
And you can probably upload ddwrt to Netgear (85%).

CJ

join:2000-07-18
USA
said by unkz :

Netgear is good, but... I have WNDR 3700 and Belkin N1 Vision and Belkin has slightly better range. I use both devices as access points.
After I upgrade to new firmware, the signal strength started to floating every few seconds. Well, maybe it is OK.
Trednet has external antennas which can be helpful if you have problem with range.
And you can probably upload ddwrt to Netgear (85%).

Does the N1 do simultaneous?

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
reply to hyemb
I'd recommend Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH.