This is a sub-selection from Amazing
hottboiinnc4
ME
join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

hottboiinnc4 to Oh_No

to Oh_No

Re: Amazing

the Gov't has no right to intervene in private business matters. And you have options just like others. The fact is nobody wants to change to those options.

For example in Chicago you have the following options plus more:

ATT (landline and Mobility)
Verizon Wireless
T-Mobile USA
Sprint
Clear (internet)
Virgin Mobile (internet and cell)
Boost (cell)
Nextel (cell)
Page Plus (cell)
WOW (cable/internet/phone)
Comcast (cable internet phone)
+ others

Others have similar options and may have more than you.

those companies do NOT have a monopoly (meaning ONE) or duopoly (meaning 2) status on anything. A couple maybe larger than the rest but you have options.

And a private business has the right to make a profit. And you are always free to take your business else wear if you don't agree. That's called Free Enterprise and Free Market. And the last I knew- Cell phone providers provided access to the CELLULAR voice market- internet is an add on they put with it. It used to be charged per minute off your voice minutes the same as text messages where. And as i've said before- they can always go back to that way and kill off unlimited voice and make their $$$ that way.
Trencher
join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Trencher

We have 3 options in Canada.

Bell
Rogers (or Shaw/Videotron)
Telus

Thats it... So exactly who are we to choose from when we have them all offering the exact same deals for the exact same prices with no regulation as to how much they're allowed to charge. Internet these days are a requirement to most people and should be looked at the same as Hydro, Water and Heating and should be regulated as such.

Sure those companies have the right to make a profit but that profit should be reasonable and not outragous. We the consumer are being screwed by companies that give us no options but to continue to buy their service or go without and they know in this day and age we CAN'T go without.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
said by hottboiinnc4:

the Gov't has no right to intervene in private business matters. And you have options just like others. The fact is nobody wants to change to those options.

For example in Chicago you have the following options plus more:

ATT (landline and Mobility)
Verizon Wireless
T-Mobile USA
Sprint
Clear (internet)
Virgin Mobile (internet and cell)
Boost (cell)
Nextel (cell)
Page Plus (cell)
WOW (cable/internet/phone)
Comcast (cable internet phone)
+ others

Others have similar options and may have more than you.

those companies do NOT have a monopoly (meaning ONE) or duopoly (meaning 2) status on anything. A couple maybe larger than the rest but you have options.

And a private business has the right to make a profit. And you are always free to take your business else wear if you don't agree. That's called Free Enterprise and Free Market. And the last I knew- Cell phone providers provided access to the CELLULAR voice market- internet is an add on they put with it. It used to be charged per minute off your voice minutes the same as text messages where. And as i've said before- they can always go back to that way and kill off unlimited voice and make their $$$ that way.

Sorry most ISPs are not comparable.
Landlines and wireless and satellites cannot be compared.
They are different, thus have drastically different pricing.
Then in each category ISPs use different technologies which which do not provide the same service.

In each category people are lucky to have a choice of two ISPs.
Most only get one. If you want the fastest speeds you would rather have a landline than wireless. If you are mobile you would rather have wireless. If you have no choice of anything else you choose satellite.

Anyways we the people have every right to use our government to protect us from being taken advantage of when it comes to things that most americans need.
It is why we have the FDA, EPA, OSHA, IRS, SEC, Utility commissions, state groups, laws, etc.
The people have every right to control private companies through government regulation.
If there was true capitalism we would all have unlimited internet.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to hottboiinnc4

to hottboiinnc4
1. Voice traffic is too cheap now for anyone to kill off unlimited. They wouldn't make any money that way because people would jsut flock to providers who do unlimited voice, like CricKet.

As for telecom in general, you overstate the competition...let's take my market as an example...just outside Denver:

--Wireline internet (wireless is capped/overages/throttled)--
CenturyLink
Comcast (or US Cable, partially owned by Comcast with worse rates and non-overlapping service areas)

--Mobile Wireless (not counting MVNOs because they can only price at what the parent carrier will let them, and because none offer a compelling deal on cellular data)--
Verizon
AT&T
Sprint
T-Mobile
CricKet

Narrowing things down to providers who actually offer "4G" speeds in the area you get:
Verizon
T-Mobile

--Fixed Wireless--
SkyBeam (still has caps/throttling)

--Satellite (caps)--
HughesNet
WildBlue

So, unless you want your usage throttled beyond 5-50GB (depending on whether you're talking about Verizon or SkyBeam), you've got two choices: the phone company or the cable company. I have yet to meet someone who uses their cell phone as their primary Internet source for more than the time it takes to get CenLink DSL or Comcast cable installed. Why? Because 'net usage patterns make everything else unworkable/uncompetitive.

This is despite the fact that both Verizon and T-Mobile have 20MHz of spectrum in this market dedicated to 4G (T-Mobile may have more), and the fact that both have PLENTY of backhaul capacity at this point. Competition isn't working, and new entrants can't just build their own LTE network from scratch because there's no spectrum available that isn't owned by someone who won't give it up (ahem, AT&T).

Your response might be that I should build my own wireless ISP if I think everyone else is doing it wrong. Okay, can I have $50k in seed capital to get things started? No? I thought so.

an0n
@bell.ca

an0n to Trencher

Anon

to Trencher
said by Trencher:

We have 3 options in Canada.

Bell
Rogers (or Shaw/Videotron)
Telus

If you live in Toronto, Vancouver, or Ottawa you also have Wind Mobile and Mobilicity. In Saskatchewan, there is SaskTel; and in Quebec there is Videotron.
« No doubtShafted? »
This is a sub-selection from Amazing