dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery


how-to block ads

Search Topic:
share rss forum feed
This is a sub-selection from VOIPo


reply to VOIPoTim

I'm back up and running!

I'm happy to report some good news for a change.

As it turns out, there appears to have been absolutely nothing wrong with the first adapter sent to me. However, it was only after we'd installed the replacement adapter that we finally discovered where the problem was.

Who would believe such great havoc could be wreaked by a surge suppressor on its way out? The VOIPo adapter was plugged into my Belkin surge protector, which I could turn off and on perfectly well at the switch. And its green light was on, so we couldn't have known it was a problem.

Seemingly unrelated, my computer lost power a few times last week, right in the middle of use. When I would change its plug from my surge protector to a power strip or back, there was just some slight sparking and noise. After trying other solutions, we thought there was something wrong with the computer power cord. We changed out the power cord last week and forgot all about it because that seemed to have solved the problem. However, the day before installing the new adapter it happened again. Since I was in the middle of solving my problem with VOIPo, I put off looking into it further and then completely forgot about it.

As we were troubleshooting with the new adapter the next day, I suddenly recalled having lost power at my computer the day before and mentioned it to the VOIPo tech. We decided that I should get a new surge protector and see if that might solve the problem. AND IT DID!!! Who knew? I'm pretty amazed that we even figured it out!

We had tried plugging the adapter directly into the wall at one time to test it, but I had to do it in another room because my surge protectors, and thus all my computer equipment, were taking up my office wall outlets (in this old house with very few of them). I'm not sure what we learned from that testing but, as I recall, the adapter lights were coming on as they should.

I'm still not keen on VOIPo's shipping policy. Everything must go out by USPS Ground. Five days from their CA facility to the East Coast. Their way or the highway. Only the CEO can approve faster shipment? I suggested to him that he reconsider this ludicrous policy.

I want to give special credit to the VOIPo guys who did the troubleshooting with me. Brandon, Martin, and Clay were all really great to deal with. Despite my obvious frustration, each of them remained calm, cool, and collected. They were exceptionally patient with me. VOIPo is very fortunate to have them representing the company, out there on the front lines, dealing with problems as hard to resolve as mine. I am very grateful to each of them. They are truly deserving of much praise.

So again, as it turns out, it was not VOIPo's equipment that was the problem. It was mine.


united state
said by Lorigard :

So again, as it turns out, it was not VOIPo's equipment that was the problem. It was mine.

Hopefully in the future you can keep your cool and not be so rude without knowing what the problem is first (Not with just VOIPo, but with anything).

As far as shipping, they offer service at $75/YEAR...why would they spend $20 to overnight you an ATA?
This is a sub-selection from VOIPo