Search similar:

uniqs
CXMNYC
join:2011-08-30
New York, NY

CXMNYC to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Re: Making unions illegal would solve many problems

The point I made was to refute your mistaken belief that the job I competed for was simply a competition among union members. You seemed to believe that all other applicants couldn't have that job. The competion was open to all. Only after you "won" the job did union membersship become possible. Which puts your contention that somehow I was competing in a pool of only union workers for this job to rest, where it belongs.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

The point I made was to refute your mistaken belief that the job I competed for was simply a competition among union members.

I am really mistaken? Did you have the option of keeping your current position and not joining the union? If so you are very unique, as most union dominated positions require membership as part of the job.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
My union can not strike while contract is in place. Beyond that our contract has expired 6 times over the last 15 years. Every time it expires we can all be fired, and yet we are still here. We are valuable enough where our corporation negociates with us and keeps signing new contracts. You unfortunately are not that valuable to your employer and must contiuosly hope to curry favor with your corporate master to keep your job. I feel for you bro!
CXMNYC

CXMNYC to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
I did not and do not have to belong to the union to get or keep my job. I would save about 75 percent on dues by not joining. The 25 percent that goes toward collective bargaining would have to be paid, as I would get the same contract as the union members get.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez to CXMNYC

to CXMNYC
said by CXMNYC:

My union can not strike while contract is in place.

Right, but there have been numerous instances where unions who are not supposed to strike do.
said by CXMNYC:

You unfortunately are not that valuable to your employer and must contiuosly hope to curry favor with your corporate master to keep your job. I feel for you bro!

Thanks! To be honest however, I really dont mind earning my keep each and every day. Sure, it would be far easier to know that no matter what I did I couldnt be fired but then I wouldnt be where I am today.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

Me and my coworkers can be fired, same as you. I have had coworkers fired for cause, it happens. Excessive abcense, tardiness, insubordination, thft, violence, sleeping on the job. It happens here and everywhere. People get fired for doing stupid things all the time. Where I work its no different. We all earn our keep everyday. That is the fact. Bad employees with or without a union get fired. Sometimes bad employees get over and stay employeed, with or witout a union. I am knowledgeable, skilled and hard working, I belong to a union. My fellow union members run the gamut from great employees to shitty employees. Most are somewhere in between. Our union membership didn't make us good or bad employees, our individual work ethic and values made us what we are. Same as non union, just we realize collectively we will get a better deal from our souless corporation than we could as individuals.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

I am knowledgeable, skilled and hard working

I never said you (individually) were not, so please dont mistake my argument with a personal attack. For all I know you are the most hard working person on earth, and I commend you for all your achievements. However, I correctly pointed out how unions foster laziness and incompetence at wages that are higher than what is charged in the private sector.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

I understand the point your making. However, I work in the private sector, I am not a government employee. I think you meant in an non union employment situation. My point, and it is anecdotal(just what I've experienced personally) is that the union workers around me are mostly all hard working and dedicated, some are lazy slobs. The lazy slobs, would be lazy slobs wherever they worked, union or non union. Their work ethics where formed long before the got a union job. I've had plenty of non union jobs through the years and I've encountered just as many lazy and careless workers there. It is easier to fire non union workers who suck, but I've seen plenty of union workers who suck get fired. I've also seen good workers in non union jobs get fired because they didn't kiss a managers ass enough. If you're a good employee your job shouldn't be at the whim of someone because they don't like your personality. You should be judged on your value as an employee. Being part of 35000 employees I know if I were fired my company wouldn't skip a beat, despite my belief that I'm an excellent employee. My unions value to me is that I know I will only be fired for a just cause. Union employees have a sense that we will not be fired over a trivial matter like a personality conflict with a foreman.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

I think you meant in an non union employment situation.

Yes I did, thank you for catching that as I was using the wrong term.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez
HE didnt give u a 9-6 window, MANAGEMENT did... and in NY its an 8-5p window for all day appt's . And a little FYI, 8-12 and 1-5p windows are also available. Verizon techs also call ahead to their jobs, so your entire paragraph is a load of ____ , INCLUDING your asinine statement that techs sleep in their trucks all day.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by ITALIAN926:

HE didnt give u a 9-6 window, MANAGEMENT did... and in NY its an 8-5p window for all day appt's

1) You are absolutely right, UNION management gave that time slot. Corruption starts at the top my friend, and the higher up in the union you go the worse it gets.

2) Fine, the window is 8 to 5 instead of 9 to 6. Obviously based on that egregious error my entire argument falls apart!

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

No the argument falls apart where you think there is "union management "

No such thing my friend. The managers are not union in any way shape or form.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by ITALIAN926:

No the argument falls apart where you think there is "union management "

Thats pretty funny. So you are actually attempting to argue that the union has no internal structure? Are you also suggesting Jimmy Hoffa was a regular "Joe" who just happened to get whacked? I think his whole life is a good representation of what 'most' unions are; and that is criminal organizations who extort funds from everyone around them.

ITALIAN926

1 edit

ITALIAN926

Listen, you are so ANTI-UNION , youre comments arent even making sense anymore. Listen very carefully.... THERE IS NO UNION MANAGEMENT AT VERIZON. The first level managers, all the way up to the CEO is NOT UNION. These are the people who decide to give you a "9 to 6 window"

Are we clear now?

.. and now that we're clear, if you worked for Verizon in a union position, you would be completely pro-union. You sure as hell wouldnt be raising your hand to give up benefits and wages. I dont care what you actually do, all Im saying is, for you , " The Grass is always browner....

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by ITALIAN926:

THERE IS NO UNION MANAGEMENT AT VERIZON.

I never brought up Verizon in particular, nor do I care to discuss their internal management structure. It is all totally irrelevant to this discussion.
said by ITALIAN926:

if you worked for Verizon in a union position, you would be completely pro-union.

If I was a union member it is pretty obvious that we would not be having this debate right now, regardless of which company employs me. I fundamentally disagree with the strong arm tactics most unions employ in order to deliver sub par services. I think that every person should be judged equally based on the merits of their working ability. Is that such a foreign concept to you? If anything, I probably more firmly believe in the values of equality and equal competition that the union "claims" to hold dear.