lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:1
Reviews:
·CableOne

What Is Your Opinion Of The 50mbps Service?

CableOne just came to our area and is offering the 50mbps service with, I believe 50GB plus 50GB Free.

I currently have Qwest/CenturyLink at 40/5, which is not too expensive and pretty reliable. I would like the extra 10Mbps down (the up doesn't matter too much to me). However, I just got a Roku, and read a thread that I will probably go over 100GB easily. Thoughts?
--
Obama in 2012.....No More TeaBaggers!

grouper

@vthm.com

Where I live, it's been rock solid but the caps really do stink. Not for sure about the extra 50g free unless you bundle cable and phone..

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:1

I decided that I'm going to stick with what I have. Even 100GB is going to limit my Roku usage. Thanks.
--
Obama in 2012.....No More TeaBaggers!

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

said by lordpuffer:

I decided that I'm going to stick with what I have. Even 100GB is going to limit my Roku usage. Thanks.

I don't blame you one bit. I'm sticking with my grandfathered 10 meg cableone plan for as long as I can; no caps and they want to charge the same amount for their 5 meg plan now. It's pathetic.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Dav3yDark0

join:2011-01-24
Sioux City, IA
reply to lordpuffer

I'm still on the 5Mb plan because of the 50GB cap. I think C1 is being a bit sleazy with this new plan. They advertise that you can use this 50Mb connection for games, streaming, etc but even if you only stream a few times a month it would be easy to exceed their draconian cap. I have a feeling there soon will be many complaints against C1 once people start being charged for going over 50GB/month on their new high speed connection.

Dave

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

I agree. They're playing with fire at this point; U-verse is becoming more and more available, it's even available where I live now.. albeit, it's also capped, but 250 GB is a lot more manageable than say, 50 or 100 GB. Even their vanilla DSL has a higher cap (150). The only reason I haven't switched yet is because I have a personal grudge against them and their idiot technicians... and added u-verse latency.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

cableonehs

@cableone.net
reply to lordpuffer

I've had Cableone 50Mbps service for over a month now. No complaints at all. I'm getting about 52Mbps down and 2Mbps up during non peak hours. During peak hours it hovers around 50Mbps or slightly below. Definitely "smokes" my old 5Mbps service.

Hitting the 100GB cap hasn't been a problem for me... at least not yet. I usually watch a Netflix movie or two every other day and stream various website video quite a bit. I'm up to 16GB for the month and have 10 days to go to the end of my billing cycle.

dsl4ever

join:2009-03-07
Whitewright, TX
reply to lordpuffer

I've had the 50mbps plan for several months now and the speed and reliability are great...but...the 50 gigabyte cap is waaay too low and I'm only home on the weekends. As someone in earlier post said, if you're going to be doing any streaming at all, roku,netflix..youtube, you will go over the 50gig limit. I called cableone and told themn I wanted to downgrade to the 5mbps unlimited and they told me I would have to pay a contract cancellation fee...the fee is the same amount as to drop the service, so I'm thinking about just dropping the service.

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
reply to cableonehs

Only used 16GB a month and you are on the 50Mbps plan???

I could probably go thru 16GB a month with a dialup account on AOL. That's about 500MB/day... doesn't even seem possible. Idle computers on the network checking for updates and stuff could probably get to that! It really points out how ridiculous Cable One's caps are at those levels to even think about trying to be on that plan. For me anyway.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

Same here.

I went through 198 GB last month according to C1's bandwidth meter.

When you use the internet for everything (VoIP, gaming, Netflix, music, etc.) shared among 5-6 frequent internet users, that number is going to add up, but there's no rule or law saying I can't do that either.. and really, how is my 10 meg download speed going to impact my neighbors? 75% of them have internet with AT&T if they even have internet to begin with.

They need to shut up and stop with the whole cap BS. IT'S A MONEY GRAB. Nothing more!
--
CableOne 10m/1m

Dav3yDark0

join:2011-01-24
Sioux City, IA
reply to cableonehs

said by cableonehs :

I've had Cableone 50Mbps service for over a month now. No complaints at all. I'm getting about 52Mbps down and 2Mbps up during non peak hours. During peak hours it hovers around 50Mbps or slightly below. Definitely "smokes" my old 5Mbps service.

Hitting the 100GB cap hasn't been a problem for me... at least not yet. I usually watch a Netflix movie or two every other day and stream various website video quite a bit. I'm up to 16GB for the month and have 10 days to go to the end of my billing cycle.

It doesn't seem possible to me that you are watching 15-30 Netflix (that's 1-2 movies every couple days) movies a month and ONLY using 16GB. You must have the triple-play package to get 100GB, the rest of us who don't want to purchase all C1's services will be capped at 50GB, and to me 50 and 100GB are just too small of caps for a 50Mb/sec connection. Hell its like they drastically increase the speed limit but after 2 blocks it cost you more to drive.

Dave

haggishelper

join:2010-03-31
Mesa, AZ
reply to lordpuffer

Caps are a necessary item, found with a majority of ISP's that provide data services to protect the network from one bad apple spoiling the bunch. Larger ISP's sometimes have larger CAP's however CableOne's Rural America business model often provides service to small to mid sized towns and is not comparable to your Comcast or Cox. If you went over a 100GB in a 1 month period you would be at the top 5% of users in the CableOne network.
On average an HD movie is roughly 1GB per 1hr of video. Standard Def (SD) is about .25 GB per 1hr (depending on the resolution.) Gaming, general web surfing, email w/o attachments are just a drop in the bucket when it comes to your total bandwidth consumption.

CableOne offers a Bandwidth Usage Estimator from the customer facing help site, here is the link:
»www.cableone.net/Pages/datacalculator.html

Perhaps this will help you identify your internet data habits or perhaps point to an unsecured WiFi that your neighbor is using to leech off you.

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

In that case, I guess I'll be forced to upgrade to the 300 GB 50 meg business class tier whenever I move. I shouldn't have to pay $100+ for internet when I don't even run a business and I'm just a residential user... or I can try 5 meg unlimited business since they don't throttle... Meh. This just isn't right.

Then again, U-verse has made its way into my area. Guess I've got more choices, heheh.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net
reply to haggishelper

said by haggishelper:

Caps are a necessary item, found with a majority of ISP's that provide data services to protect the network from one bad apple spoiling the bunch.

There was one month I had a number of things to download both for work and pleasure. Seemed like I was using the connection a lot. At the end, apparently, I downloaded 1.5TB in that month. That's not the "norm" for me. This month, I think I'm only about a quarter of that, but any month, we do use the Internet a LOT. There are two of us here, and we're both online a LOT. We work and play mostly from home.

But how did I "spoil the bunch"? That's ridiculous! I mean how is that a comparison? Using the service thats being provided and paid for didn't hurt anybody... There were other services involved that provided me the data to consume from their end (Netflix, Astraweb, etc). None of them complained of my usage...

areoh

join:2001-11-10
Kansas City, MO

Don't get me started... :/ Give me some time... Testin'....
--
»www.areoh.com

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to jasonkradiog

1.5 TB is one, heck of a pay load to be pushing. My concern wouldn't be the bandwidth being currently used, but how much bandwidth per gig it's costing CableOne, unless they own their backbone, in which case, they've got nothing to complain about and you shouldn't be concerned.

Chances are you probably didn't spoil anyone in the bunch. What tier are you on? I'm on 10 meg here, regularly pushing close to 200 GB per month now. I seriously doubt I'm disturbing anyone on my node; whenever I had to call tech support, they were always telling me how quiet my node is, and that was before my area was even upgraded to DOCSIS 3.. so now there's even MORE bandwidth available to everyone in my neighborhood. What's the problem? And why did they get rid of the 10 meg tier in favor of 5 meg, which is now the same price as 10 meg was? Backwards trend much? I couldn't stand being on 5 meg for long. I would get throttled almost every single day; I AM NOT going to work around some stupid schedule because your AUP assumes we're all on overloaded nodes, which, by the way, is more your fault than anything. All ISPs need to be prepared for traffic increases; gradually tweaking their systems, splitting nodes when needed, etc. Using caps and clever marketing are band aid fixes. Customers are becoming more aware and many of us will not stand for it.

My thought on CableOne's new tier pricing still stands; it's a money grab. They want to look better among the other ISPs by having higher speeds, but severely limiting them with low caps. This would imply that CableOne really doesn't have the bandwidth for today's generation of internet users and/or they really just want the money. They think we're all still interested in the garbage known as TV, because let me tell ya, I enjoy watching that reality garbage and I need my sports fix.

Most of what I watch is online-only based exclusives and Netflix content. CableOne's channel selection has always been mediocre and their on-demand content has nothing of interest to me. My usage is typical of a residential network with multiple internet-savvy users. I don't run a server, I just use the internet for all of my media needs.
--
CableOne 10m/1m

jasonkradiog

@cableone.net

I've heard bandwidth only averages out to be cents per GB to the ISP's. But I know numbers can be twisted into any direction and I'm not sure thats fact. But I'm sure they are profiting or they would be complaining. I pay $53/month which is a lot more than AT&T's $19 promo offers they are always sending me in the mail.

I'm on the 10 plan. My 1.5TB month was even back when we were all throttled (and I was using a wireless router that only gave me 50% of the advertised speed!). Just seems like things kept turning up for me to do online, and then my girlfriend also has this job where she has to stay connected via webcam the entire time and remote control systems pretty much everyday. I'm sure we use a full share. But it's not intentional or wasteful. We're just a set of strong Internet users.

Oddly enough I think I've used a lot less bandwidth since they've stopped throttling lol

Not on purpose. Just how its worked out lately. I haven't been downloading as much as there hasn't been too much to download. And because there are so many nice fairs lately, we've been spending more time outdoors and less time with streaming video, etc.

BLITTZIN

join:2011-10-23
Sherman, TX
reply to lordpuffer

dropped connection frequently, 50 to 90 percent packet loss, 300ms plus pings. I called tech support because my preferred address is shown as a proxy address. Am I wrong or is a proxy configured as my preferred ip address not right? Tech support "engineers" looked into my modem and for whatever reason wouldn't assign new correct ip addresses. It doesn't seem right that ipconfig shows my preferred to be a proxy. Awful connection when I have it. Feel like they're throttling me, network saturation, or they just don't care. Terrible, inept tech support.

capsbyte2011

@gpcom.net
reply to lordpuffer

CableOne is a business, the sole purpose of a business is to make money.

Very recent articles here on dslreports indicates that the average monthly usage for households is expected to reach ~500 gb per month.

It only makes sense from an investor/business point of view to implement these caps to increase profits.

Every single ISP advertises that only a very very small percentage of customers actually meet or exceed these limits. Think about this... If it is only a super small percentage; why bother? Is it greed?

CableOne, much like other ISP's, are cashing in on the fact that people don't know how the internet works, how or why bandwidth is important, or why these limits are bad for them.

Also...... Since these plans are now in place with many service providers, why isn't the dept of weights and measures involved? After all, customers are being charged by volume. Currently there isn't any way to investigate fraud or price gouging.

BLITTZIN

Sherman, TX
reply to lordpuffer

I get 10 megs top. up to 90 percent packet loss and 300 ms pings. I inherited this house from my mom and I'm living here to fix it up for my sister and her mentally challenged son. My mom bought a house in a poor area unfortunately to get away from my dad and albeit a poor neighborhood she finally had peace here. I believe if it were a better neighborhood I would get better quality of service, and better techsupport and line support. 4 tech out replace lines etc...... It's down to I'm getting screwed or I'm on a completely saturated node. I have family who live in better homes that get close to promised speed. I haven't really figured it out because my smokeping used to start right away now since I joined cableone I get can't ping a proxy so I have to use my dynamic ip. I believe we are forbidden to set static ip's. I think they are giving me the shaft and alot of people on here would agree. It's this or verizon dsl. No competition. Just like it's regulated. Kinda like we monopolize so whatya gonna do? I hope this helps.

StLCardsFan

join:2011-06-06
Lafayette, LA
Reviews:
·LUS Fiber
reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

wow 100gb cap on cable? Are you serious? Whats the point? And i read that 100gb is only with bundled service heh. A few big windows updates, a map pack or 2 on any game, and basic netflix / roku usage and youre done.

Honestly .. to me that isn't even worth having. Id prefer to move.

maxell91

@cableone.net
reply to BLITTZIN

Pretty much same Cableone experience here. The connection drops way too often. At one point a few weeks ago it would drop several times an hour. Cableone finally admitted fault due to hardware failure on their end and now it's better... but still drops several times a week sometimes for an hour or more.

Funny thing is I had their 3 meg service for years that ran near perfect. The connection was always up. The problems all started switching to 50 meg and phone.

When you contact their CS it's one "folly" after another. I went to the local office a few weeks ago to switch out boxes and cancel a few channels to save money. I asked the rep at least twice if she had taken the channels off our account and she affirmed. We were still receiving these channels two weeks later. I called the office and another CS rep said the channels were never taken off and they refused to issue credit for that period.

Every issue with them is like this. Why can't they get stuff right the first time?

BLITTZIN

Sherman, TX

The last line tech's excuse was "we're doing voip, it's system wide." No it's not because my nephew's internet, same package is fine. He lives in a decent neighborhood. I also got every packet goes through Atlanta first now then to the destination and back to your pc. I've had a couple of them sit in my living room floor and stick attenuators on the line, and not one has hooked his laptop to the main tap outside like they're supposed to. Like I was saying they know they're the only game in town. P.S. He was probably showing me a saved logfile from a subscriber who has perfect qos and good lines.

maxell91

@cableone.net

Well... hopefully I made some progress on my recurring network problems with Cableone today. The modem has been rebooting itself 6 to 8 times an hour since this morning. I finally gave up and called Cableone tech support. They dispatched a tech earlier this evening and he spent a good hour checking signal levels. Luckily the modem rebooted several times while he was here, so he knew I wasn't lying. He finally determined something was amiss at the cable box mounted outside. He fixed it and kept monitoring signal levels for the next half hour or so and found them to be good and stable.

Got to give Cableone credit for sending a tech out on Thanksgiving and he was a nice, caring guy. Best Cableone tech I've ran into yet.

In regards to the reliability issue... I'm not holding my breath just yet. We shall see how it goes over the next few days.

BLITTZIN

Sherman, TX

I had the same kind of drops Friday. I watched one of the better techs replace my lines. I told them I'm done having line techs come out here I have to set a half day aside everytime I need help. I'm going to buy my own modem it'll cut 100 dollars of my 2 yr agreement, and if that doesn't fix it I told the woman at my local office I'm gonna buy out for around 500 dollars. The 2 yrs cable and internet is about 2,500. Maybe that will get their attention. I'm simply being throttled or on a really saturated node. I'm glad they helped you. some of the guys who work there really are nice guys. I wish I could get fios. It's better no pipeline connection like cable. I liked having my own line nobody else saturating it. Happy Holidays.

maxell91

@cableone.net

Happy Holidays to you too!

The tech that came out Thanksgiving just might have had some success. Our network connection hasn't went down since. He said the cable box outside had an old splitter that was failing. Still too early for me to conclude it's "fixed"... but we're on the right path.

I sure would hate having to "pay up" to get out of the contract. Hopefully you can get things sorted out before that point.

BLITTZIN

Sherman, TX

I hate to go to extremes but, I might have to. They aren't going to fix this. Each tech acts "rogue" if you get a good one he'll try and if you get one that doesn't they'll bs you, a lot like nobody is holding him accountable or they just don't care. Lines are pretty much new and I just believe that I'm on a saturated node. No competition. It's almost like racism. My moms house was in a low income area. I know that it's NOT system-wide, and my nephew gets pretty good bandwidth etc..... Verizon did an account name change I had 7 megs up and they "had to turn the phone and internet off for 3 day." When I talked to them suddenly the only speed available for this line was 1 meg. A customer rep told me plainly that they will lie to you. And he was right they did. That's how I ended up going to cable one. Sad to be a good person and work for companies that break the golden rule. Shameful to not have any recourse. Peace always......

BLITTZIN

Sherman, TX
reply to maxell91

Click for full size
Holy cr4p! Look at this. Here's a screen from my ongoing smokeping from this website. 90 percent plus packet loss and 3 to 5 ms ping? How weird is the ping time to you? A ping to Los Angeles is on average 40 to 45 ms's. What the h*ll is goin' on? LMAO. Just thought I'd show ya how ridiculous this has become. Peace always..........

maxell91

@cableone.net
reply to BLITTZIN

Here's an update. It's been exactly one week tonight since the C1 tech came out on Thanksgiving to fix our recurring network problems. I'm now convinced that tech knew exactly what he was doing since we have experienced zero problems since. The network connection has been up 100%. It has never ran a week straight without downtime. It's almost like receiving an early Christmas present.

I'm confident things are now fixed with C1 on my end. I gave it a week to "prove" itself... and it has passed the test.

BLITTZIN

Sherman, TX

Glad to hear it. Mine is hit and miss. At least now I sometimes fall to 20 percent packet loss. Biding my time until maybe fios, or cable1 competitions comes along. Happy holidays......