join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to hottboiinnc

Re: Amazing

1. Voice traffic is too cheap now for anyone to kill off unlimited. They wouldn't make any money that way because people would jsut flock to providers who do unlimited voice, like CricKet.

As for telecom in general, you overstate the competition...let's take my market as an example...just outside Denver:

--Wireline internet (wireless is capped/overages/throttled)--
CenturyLink
Comcast (or US Cable, partially owned by Comcast with worse rates and non-overlapping service areas)

--Mobile Wireless (not counting MVNOs because they can only price at what the parent carrier will let them, and because none offer a compelling deal on cellular data)--
Verizon
AT&T
Sprint
T-Mobile
CricKet

Narrowing things down to providers who actually offer "4G" speeds in the area you get:
Verizon
T-Mobile

--Fixed Wireless--
SkyBeam (still has caps/throttling)

--Satellite (caps)--
HughesNet
WildBlue

So, unless you want your usage throttled beyond 5-50GB (depending on whether you're talking about Verizon or SkyBeam), you've got two choices: the phone company or the cable company. I have yet to meet someone who uses their cell phone as their primary Internet source for more than the time it takes to get CenLink DSL or Comcast cable installed. Why? Because 'net usage patterns make everything else unworkable/uncompetitive.

This is despite the fact that both Verizon and T-Mobile have 20MHz of spectrum in this market dedicated to 4G (T-Mobile may have more), and the fact that both have PLENTY of backhaul capacity at this point. Competition isn't working, and new entrants can't just build their own LTE network from scratch because there's no spectrum available that isn't owned by someone who won't give it up (ahem, AT&T).

Your response might be that I should build my own wireless ISP if I think everyone else is doing it wrong. Okay, can I have $50k in seed capital to get things started? No? I thought so.