Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vnhfremen

join:2011-03-20
Quebec, QC

E911 and anonymous caller id

Hi,

I have my caller id setup as "0000000000" for anonymous caller id. I'm wondering if there's any way to override it to set the correct caller id number when dialing 911. I know that I could setup a speed dial entry for 911 and then override it from there, but I feel it would kind of miss the point of 911 since someone would have to know to use the *75 speed dial code instead of dialing 911...Any clean way to do this with voip.ms ?

A_VoIPer

join:2009-11-04

I think it would be nice if VoIP.ms had a setting for E911 that said to always use a specific DID when 911 is called. Currently, a less than ideal workaround was mentioned in a different thread on the VOIP Tech Chat forum (»Re: Should I port to VOIP.ms or Google Voice?). It assumes you are always using the same ATA that has a modified dial-plan, so if you replaced it and/or use a different SIP connection then all bets are off. As PX Eliezer7 See Profile mentioned, this relies on two number conversions (one on your ATA and one at VoIP.ms), so use at your own risk.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to vnhfremen

said by vnhfremen:

I have my caller id setup as "0000000000" for anonymous caller id.

I'm really kind of worried about your 911 setup.

See this from Voip.MS:

However, you will not be able to dial 911 from your Voip.ms account unless you have activated this service.

To test that your CallerID is working properly, Dial 1-555-555-0911 from VoIP.ms Network. The system will playback your CallerID, then make a short pause, and play the test result. To make sure your device/switch is correctly configured for e911, you must ensure that your CallerID number matches exactly the DID number that is activated for 911. That is the only way to identify you correctly. Otherwise your 911 call will not go through. Correctly formatted CallerID consist of a 10 digits number, identical to your DID. For example, if your DID is 555.555.1234, your CallerID number should be 5555551234.

»www.voip.ms/m/me911.php

vnhfremen

Quebec, QC

It's not my setup, but yeah, my friend basically decided to drop E911 and use his cell for emergencies. It's too bad really, but I feel the e911 service as provided by voip.ms might not be worth it. I bet it's the same situation for every voip provider though.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

said by vnhfremen:

It's not my setup, but yeah, my friend basically decided to drop E911 and use his cell for emergencies.

If that's what your friend's home phones are hooked to (Voip.MS without signing up for 911) then those phones should be labelled accordingly.

You never know who might pick up one of those phones in an emergency (friend, relative, visitor, babysitter, maid, someone else doing work in the house like a contractor) and call 911, only to be blocked.

said by vnhfremen:

I bet it's the same situation for every voip provider though.

Actually, if you look at most other major VoIP providers in Canada, 911 is mandatory, not optional.

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to vnhfremen

If you don't enable 911 at least change your dial plan so that someone dialing 911 will call the police (or ask your city about the direct non-911 number for the call center). They might not have the Caller ID and all the info, but at least they can talk to someone.

For $1.50 a month, for the reasons stated above, I'm not taking that risk.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River

Excellent suggestions.

vnhfremen

Quebec, QC

I think that what is disappointing with voip.ms's e911 is that it doesn't go directly to the local psap but rather to a central call center. This extra hop just to confirm your address sounds rather lame in my opinion. Then again, I believe this way of doing it is a CRTC rule ?

I agree that what he is doing is dangerous. People pretty much take 911 for granted these days.

@Bingo_Ringo: Modifying the dial plan sounds like a great idea. Is there any good tutorial on how to do that ? He has a PAP2T...

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by vnhfremen:

I think that what is disappointing with voip.ms's e911 is that it doesn't go directly to the local psap but rather to a central call center. This extra hop just to confirm your address sounds rather lame in my opinion. Then again, I believe this way of doing it is a CRTC rule ?

Yes, this was decreed by the bureaucrats at your Canadian CRTC.

They decided on an approach totally opposite from the US FCC, which says the calls should go immediately to the PSAP.

(The Canadian approach stresses accuracy, the US approach stresses speed. In a sense, this typifies the two countries....)

---------------------------------------------

Linksys Dial Plan:

You must find out the phone # (IF there is one) to access the local emergency center. You need to find out if such a number (other than 911) will actually be answered on an urgent basis!

Where such a number takes the 10-digit form of xxxxxxxxxx then the sequence would be:

|<911:xxxxxxxxxx>S0|

Where it is the LETTER "S" and the NUMBER "0" (ZERO) !!!

And it should be at the very beginning of the dial plan!

And it should be TESTED before use!

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms

said by PX Eliezer7:

said by vnhfremen:

Yes, this was decreed by the bureaucrats at your Canadian CRTC.

They decided on an approach totally opposite from the US FCC, which says the calls should go immediately to the PSAP.

(The Canadian approach stresses accuracy, the US approach stresses speed. In a sense, this typifies the two countries....)

---------------------------------------------

Linksys Dial Plan:

You must find out the phone # (IF there is one) to access the local emergency center. You need to find out if such a number (other than 911) will actually be answered on an urgent basis!

Where such a number takes the 10-digit form of xxxxxxxxxx then the sequence would be:

|<911:xxxxxxxxxx>S0|

Where it is the LETTER "S" and the NUMBER "0" (ZERO) !!!

And it should be at the very beginning of the dial plan!

And it should be TESTED before use!

This is what I used. I use it for 311 and direct this to my city's 311 service (they have a number you can use if you can't use 311 so I redirect it to that number).

vnhfremen

Quebec, QC
reply to PX Eliezer7

Thank you both, I'll forward this info to my friend. He still needs to find the correct "regular" phone number for the local emergency services. In the meantime he decided to keep the e911 service.