share rss forum feed

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace

join:2004-08-07
New York, NY
reply to CXMNYC

Re: Making unions illegal would solve many problems

said by CXMNYC:

I am confident in my job performance. Compete on a level playing field? With a 100 million dollar market capitalization corporation.

That statement right there just shows how crooked the unions are. You arent competing against your employer; what should be happening is that you are competing against all the other qualified people in your area for a given job. That way only the best, most qualified people are hired. Instead, when the union has the local labor market (for a specific field) locked down all you get complacency and 'bare minimum' performance. Cozy up to your local union rep and you have a safe, high paying job for life no matter how poor your actually performance. Funny how it's basically the same thing as being a "made" guy in the mob....
--
"No you won't" -The American people to President Obama (11/2/2010)

CXMNYC

join:2011-08-30
New York, NY
I have already competed with all the qualified people in my area for the job...guess what? I got the job!!! Now that I have beaten out all the other applicants the job is mine. Now when it comes to compensation(wages and benefits) I compete with my employer. Being more qualified then the other applicants(almost 60 people apply for every 1 hired) I expect a certain level of compensation from my employer. My employer would like to pay me minimum wage with no benefits. Collectively with the other most qualified candidates who where hired we bargain for considerably better than minimum wage and get decent benefits. Sorry but I "won" the competition with the other qualified people when my corporation hired me after extensive testing of my skills, interviews, medical evaluation and a drug screening.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by CXMNYC:

I have already competed with all the qualified people in my area for the job...guess what? I got the job!!! Now that I have beaten out all the other applicants the job is mine. Now when it comes to compensation(wages and benefits) I compete with my employer. Being more qualified then the other applicants(almost 60 people apply for every 1 hired) I expect a certain level of compensation from my employer. My employer would like to pay me minimum wage with no benefits. Collectively with the other most qualified candidates who where hired we bargain for considerably better than minimum wage and get decent benefits. Sorry but I "won" the competition with the other qualified people when my corporation hired me after extensive testing of my skills, interviews, medical evaluation and a drug screening.

Wrong. You got the job because (by law) your employer was required to hire you. Due to the fact that non union employees were exempt from the hiring process means you are not the most qualified person for the job. I dont doubt you were the most qualified person from the limited, union represented pool, however that is not an accurate sample of the total workforce.
--

CXMNYC

New York, NY
Until I was hired I wasn't in the union!! Seriously you have no clue what you are talking about. I joined the union after I got the job. So did everyone of the 35000 people I work with in this corporation and union.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by CXMNYC:

Until I was hired I wasn't in the union!!

Wow, what an amazing revelation. So you are telling me you werent born a fully fledged union member?

Obviously everyone in the union joined at some point. You took a job that required union membership, and thus you became one. What point are you trying to make?

CXMNYC

New York, NY
The point I made was to refute your mistaken belief that the job I competed for was simply a competition among union members. You seemed to believe that all other applicants couldn't have that job. The competion was open to all. Only after you "won" the job did union membersship become possible. Which puts your contention that somehow I was competing in a pool of only union workers for this job to rest, where it belongs.

wifi4milez

New York, NY
said by CXMNYC:

The point I made was to refute your mistaken belief that the job I competed for was simply a competition among union members.

I am really mistaken? Did you have the option of keeping your current position and not joining the union? If so you are very unique, as most union dominated positions require membership as part of the job.
--

CXMNYC

New York, NY
I did not and do not have to belong to the union to get or keep my job. I would save about 75 percent on dues by not joining. The 25 percent that goes toward collective bargaining would have to be paid, as I would get the same contract as the union members get.