spc
uniqs
CXMNYC
join:2011-08-30
New York, NY

CXMNYC to wifi4milez

to wifi4milez

Re: Making unions illegal would solve many problems

Speaking of no idea about how the law works and being delusional. Contracts are for a finite period of time. Usually in my industry 3 years. The union con not strike while the contract is in effect. When the contract expires we can strike. The corporation can fire us all once the contract has expired! When we go on strike, the corporation is leagally allowed to fire us all! They don't because we are somewhat me skilled and valuable then misinformed people are lead to believe. Look it up. I speak the truth. I can be fired once my unions contract expires.

wifi4milez
Big Russ, 1918 to 2008. Rest in Peace
join:2004-08-07
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

The union con not strike while the contract is in effect.

Nonsense! Unions have gone on strike many times while under contract. In addition some federal employees who are in the union are prohibited by law from going on strike (ever!) yet they still do. Please learn more about the topic before you attempt to defend your position.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

The last federal employees to go on strike who were prohibited from going on strike were the air traffic controlers and they were all fired, and rightly so. The weren't allowed to strike by law, they struck and got fired. My union cannot go on strike while our contract is in force. Only when it expires can we "legally" strike. We've never illegally struck. When the contract expires we CAN ALL BE FIRED! Yet we aren't. Imagine that? Maybe we are not all a bunch of lazy boobs and our company needs our skills, knowledge and dedication? They could replace us all at once. This I know to be true and factual beyond a doubt. I know your worldview can not comprehend that a group of union workers is so vital to a business that the wouldn't fire them all given the chance, but every 3 years they have that chance and we're still here. Go figure?

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

The last federal employees to go on strike who were prohibited from going on strike were the air traffic controlers

Yawn, wrong again. Some unions negotiate (or include) what is known as a "no strike" clause in their agreements while others do not. In some other cases local or federal judges will weigh in during a strike and declare the union members actions illegal.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

Really? What federal employees union that is legally barred from striking has gone on strike since PATCO? PAtCO by the way is the air traffic controlers union, or was.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

Really? What federal employees union that is legally barred from striking has gone on strike since PATCO? PAtCO by the way is the air traffic controlers union, or was.

Other non federal unions have been legally barred from striking since the air traffic controller scandal and have still done so. Regardless of whether the union is federal or not, it can be (depending on the contract) illegal to strike. Therefore, your argument that unions can not strike when a contract is in place is balderdash.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

My union can not strike while contract is in place. Beyond that our contract has expired 6 times over the last 15 years. Every time it expires we can all be fired, and yet we are still here. We are valuable enough where our corporation negociates with us and keeps signing new contracts. You unfortunately are not that valuable to your employer and must contiuosly hope to curry favor with your corporate master to keep your job. I feel for you bro!

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

My union can not strike while contract is in place.

Right, but there have been numerous instances where unions who are not supposed to strike do.
said by CXMNYC:

You unfortunately are not that valuable to your employer and must contiuosly hope to curry favor with your corporate master to keep your job. I feel for you bro!

Thanks! To be honest however, I really dont mind earning my keep each and every day. Sure, it would be far easier to know that no matter what I did I couldnt be fired but then I wouldnt be where I am today.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

Me and my coworkers can be fired, same as you. I have had coworkers fired for cause, it happens. Excessive abcense, tardiness, insubordination, thft, violence, sleeping on the job. It happens here and everywhere. People get fired for doing stupid things all the time. Where I work its no different. We all earn our keep everyday. That is the fact. Bad employees with or without a union get fired. Sometimes bad employees get over and stay employeed, with or witout a union. I am knowledgeable, skilled and hard working, I belong to a union. My fellow union members run the gamut from great employees to shitty employees. Most are somewhere in between. Our union membership didn't make us good or bad employees, our individual work ethic and values made us what we are. Same as non union, just we realize collectively we will get a better deal from our souless corporation than we could as individuals.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

I am knowledgeable, skilled and hard working

I never said you (individually) were not, so please dont mistake my argument with a personal attack. For all I know you are the most hard working person on earth, and I commend you for all your achievements. However, I correctly pointed out how unions foster laziness and incompetence at wages that are higher than what is charged in the private sector.
CXMNYC
New York, NY

CXMNYC

I understand the point your making. However, I work in the private sector, I am not a government employee. I think you meant in an non union employment situation. My point, and it is anecdotal(just what I've experienced personally) is that the union workers around me are mostly all hard working and dedicated, some are lazy slobs. The lazy slobs, would be lazy slobs wherever they worked, union or non union. Their work ethics where formed long before the got a union job. I've had plenty of non union jobs through the years and I've encountered just as many lazy and careless workers there. It is easier to fire non union workers who suck, but I've seen plenty of union workers who suck get fired. I've also seen good workers in non union jobs get fired because they didn't kiss a managers ass enough. If you're a good employee your job shouldn't be at the whim of someone because they don't like your personality. You should be judged on your value as an employee. Being part of 35000 employees I know if I were fired my company wouldn't skip a beat, despite my belief that I'm an excellent employee. My unions value to me is that I know I will only be fired for a just cause. Union employees have a sense that we will not be fired over a trivial matter like a personality conflict with a foreman.

wifi4milez
New York, NY

wifi4milez

said by CXMNYC:

I think you meant in an non union employment situation.

Yes I did, thank you for catching that as I was using the wrong term.