spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SoMD Sal
@metrocast.net

SoMD Sal

Anon

Internet Performance Very Slow

Lately (past month or so), web pages have been very slow loading. It is more noticeable in the evening, but even during the day (I work from home), it has been very slow at times. My tests reveal: Downstream SNR=38dB, Power Level=11dBmV, Upstream Power Level=30dBmV. Speedtest.net reflects Ping=13ms, Jitter=3ms, Download speed=9.69Mbps, Upload speed=0.49Mbps. Obviously, these numbers vary slightly during the day. Can any of the techs comment on these numbers or why some pages load so slowly at times it seems like dial-up. Possibly a node overloaded in my area or a problem at the head end? The lines to the house have all been replaced over the past few years.

billh491
join:2001-08-09
Portland, CT

billh491

Re: Internet Performance Very Slow

Look in to changing your DNS settings I use Level 3 others use Open DNS. I put the settings in the router so everyone in the house has it but you can do it on a computer by computer bais as well.

SoMD Sal
@metrocast.net

SoMD Sal

Anon

I changed to open DNS...no joy. It takes about 7-14 seconds per page, occasionally, I get a timeout. I checked by Downstream Power Level this morning; it is 15dBMv. Not sure what controls the Upstream/Downstream power levels or SNR. I am loathe to call Metrocast; their solution is to always dig up my yard and replace cable. Last time, that didn't resolve anything, it ended up being an overloaded node. I do use a diplexer on the line in to my house since I have satellite TV, then another when I split to the cable modem. Worked great for over two years...so maybe a bad diplexer might cause?

anon29827
@metrocast.net

anon29827

Anon

I would do a test by plugging in your cable modem at the place where the internet comes into the house (so you will bypass all of the splitters), then hook up a laptop directly to the cable modem and see if the problem disappears. If it does, then you can start troubleshooting from there.