how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Helpfulguy

@atlanticbb.net
reply to wolfsmane

Re: ABB Adds Express and Unleashed Tiers

In response to wolfsmane and any other posters or lurkers who might be wondering about wireless router compatibility:

scrawnyb's explanation of Wireless G throughput is spot on. If you plan on subscribing to the Unleashed speed (40m), you will also need to have a Wireless N router in order to attain that approximate speed with any wireless device (the device, also needs to have wireless N capability).

On our internal testing, as well as with different subscribers, we normally see Wireless G topping out at 25-26mbps. Which is fine for the express service, if that is the option that you choose, Unleashed subs will need N in the household to get their full speed wirelessly.

Of course, anything connected via 10/100 or 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet will get the best possible provisioned speed.

The one Ethernet out on our rental modems may be a hold over from when each system was owned by different carriers. Before I worked for the company proper, I do remember Charter allowing multiple public IPs to be pulled via a switch, other areas like Miami also allowed for this with Charter. I know Aiken's Gforcecable system operated in a similar manner as well.

As it stands now, ABB will also offer a dual band Linksys e1500 N router for households that would rather rent one from us rather than buy one. This probably doesn't apply to many active on the forum, but its an option. The rental fee is the same as a modem lease, and also implies the same protections. Should the router go bad, its replaced free of charge.

I would caution those who aren't sure about their router/internal network to give us a call so we can walk you through checking. Most of the tech savvy people already have N routers--- but there are some (myself included until just recently) who have held on to various G/Mixed because up until now the throughput was maxed at the modem end.

I'll miss the DD-WRT firmware of my old WRT54G, but got a Netgear on sale at Bestbuy that hasn't given me any problems yet.

Helpfulguy

@atlanticbb.net
reply to Os

Thats right osravens, in our grouping of plant areas, MDDE (Grasonville and Middletown) are one system. FiOS is in Middletown--- Our D3 rollout will cover the entirety of the system including Grasonville, Chester, and other areas there.

Cumberland is an interesting system-- but most techs treat it similarly to Altoona/Johnstown in terms of serviceability. There are some outlying areas in WV that are also on that plant--and I'm not sure (although I can try to find out for you), how far our Cumberland plant push will be.

My best educated guess as far as the next system to see the D3 upgrade would be Cumberland, as it is normally included in how we define our "Central PA" systems (which includes parts of MD, funnily). Central PA and Aiken are the first two to go live, with other systems then coming behind as the work is done. I don't have a hard timeline as to each system and plant, but by Q1 of 2012 is the answer we're getting for all our major systems.

ScrawnyB

join:2004-05-18
Carlisle, PA
kudos:1

Thanks Helpfulguy for the insight.

You should register and become a regular here, as it's nice to have the insight from someone who has the technical information to clarify some things about the network and what not.

I hope you come back to see these questions:

- Is Altoona/Johnstown market 4 channels or 8 channel downstream right now? Will this possibly be increased in the future?

- Do you know what kind of speed packages are being offered to businesses for DOCSIS 3? ABB has always been fairly quiet about their prices for Business class service and it's hard to find out any information without talking to a business service rep.

- Now that we're on DOCSIS 3.0, do you think that speed upgrades will come in more regular intervals, and do you know if there are any plans to allow for a more balanced download-upload bandwidth ratio in the future?

I also have some more individualized technical questions I would like to ask you over PM here as well, related to my in-home run and cable service.

Os

join:2011-01-26
US
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Helpfulguy

I know the Cumberland system covers all of eastern Mineral County and goes all the way down to Romney in WV. Allegany and Mineral County are divided, with the western side of each belonging to Tele-Media, then Adelphia, now Comcast. There's a separate ABB system in Moorefield.

While there's an FCC franchise to run lines in the adjacent PA townships in both Bedford and Somerset County for ABB, I'm not aware of there being any actual lines there. Everyone has OTA or Dish/DTV.

We're more than slightly intertwined with Altoona/Johnstown. All our IP's are from Altoona here (It used to be Johnstown), and the digital channel lineup is identical but we have a few more HD channels and get MASN instead of the Big Ten Network.

Down here in Cumberland, they've been heavily advertising a business internet/phone package for $79.99/month both in billboards and embedded ads. I don't know what speed that is.

F34R

join:2007-10-29
reply to Os

I'm wondering, when will the 29812 be able to get these speeds?

Os

US

Isn't that the Aiken system? I believe it's available for you guys right now.

F34R

Well, it's available for Aiken 29803, but not Barnwell, 29812.

Os

US

Is Barnwell under another headend? If it's not, then I would think the upgrade has to either be in the process of happening or already there.

F34R

thanks for the reply... not sure what you mean by "headend", but I'm going to call them Monday and find out. I'm certainly willing to spend the cash for speed lol.

Os

US

The headend is the command center for your region. When something is available in that headend, it usually goes to all parts of that headend.

EnerJi

join:2011-02-19
Miami Beach, FL
reply to Helpfulguy

Hi there Helpfulguy, I'm hoping you see this! I didn't see a way to contact you directly from your profile.

I just got activated with ABB in Miami Beach, and I'm having some problems with my purchased Motorola Surfboard 6120 modem. It's resetting itself every few minutes. The tech who installed my service unfortunately didn't have much to suggest except that he could bring back a rental modem tomorrow, and that I should consider buying another modem. This modem was flawless on the Comcast system in Atlanta for the past 6+ months before I moved to Miami.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Here's the information from the "Help" page:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB612X-1.0.3.3-SCM00-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 3.0
Serial Number: 317001032900208006040011
Firmware Build Time: Aug 12 2010 13:58:19

Here are the specs from the signal page:

Downstream
Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID
Frequency
687000000 Hz 
Signal to Noise Ratio
38 dB 
Downstream Modulation
QAM256 
Power Level
The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading
4 dBmV  

Upstream
Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID

Frequency
33008000 Hz 
Ranging Service ID
Symbol Rate
2.560 Msym/sec 
Power Level
47 dBmV 
Upstream Modulation
[5] 16QAM

Ranging Status
Success 

Signal Stats (Codewords)
Bonding Channel Value
Channel ID
Total Unerrored Codewords
Total Correctable Codewords

Total Uncorrectable Codewords

blackice72

join:2010-12-01
Perryville, MD
reply to Os

ok, so I'm already on a D3 modem and have the 15mb service in MD, dose that mean I can upgrade to 20/2 or (40/3) now?

overall 15mb is great, but im willing to pay $15/m more for almost 3x my current speed.

Thanks for the info.

B

bobytt

join:2007-07-17
Miami Beach, FL
reply to Helpfulguy

said by Helpfulguy :

-Miami: The Miami network is the last, (I believe), to have D3 speeds provisioned. As far as I understand, that plant was run poorly by Charter-- the infrastructure as well as node placement and load balancing all need re-tweaked. We also have to make sure that our techs can get the signals they need to enable channel bonding. Its something that will require a concerted effort by our technical and engineering staff down there. When it does roll out, I'd expect a slow ramp up. The infrastructure in Miami is something that we're investing in, and the demand for this type of service is high. We want to make sure that it will be reliable, before we flip the switch per se.

So do you have any idea when those speeds are going to be available for Miami Beach 33139? Answer is going to be greatly appreciated.

Jimh1962

join:2012-01-23
Mount Savage, MD
reply to Os

Ok any word when AAB will have docsis 3.0 in Cumberland.
I just had my SBG6580 installed and they had to downgrade
Some file to dosis2.0 to make it work. After about two hrs of
Playing with it. I get 16mg down and 1.6 up.

but now My AT&T 3G microcell will not connect it worked fine
With dsl, any ideas. I've enabled all the port and pass throughs
As per AT&T. Is there something I'm missing, does AAB have to
allow Vo/ip or VPN?

I know the 3G microcell works with AAB as my Daugherty has one
At her house but she has cable, voice and Internet,
I only have Internet.

Please help if you can, thank in advance.
Jim

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

I wish I knew, buddy.

It shouldn't matter with a microcell if you have TV or voice, it should work regardless.

So you had an installation, and they brought you a 6580? That's a VoIP modem. It's also D3, so if they have those modems, I'd say we're getting very close to Express and Unlaunched being here.

Good to see some more area posters here.

EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL

I also wish I knew when the Miami Beach network would get the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrade! I'm currently on the 12 or 15 Mb tier (don't remember) and I can't even stream YouTube videos smoothly, and ESPECIALLY not at 720P or higher.

My previous provider (Comcast, in Atlanta) had a similar speed service "on paper" but was MUCH faster in practice. DOCSIS 3.0 can't come soon enough to the rest of Atlantic Broadband's cable plants.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Are you doing speedtests? That sounds like node congestion or something going on there.

I have the 10/1 here, and I hardly ever have any problems streaming video. When I do, they're either working on the node or there's some congestion problems. And those anymore here are few and far between. I almost always get my full speed.

jrble819

join:2010-01-22
Cumberland, MD
reply to Helpfulguy

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if I can have my voice modem upgrade now to avoid the possibility of a rush when AtlanticBB releases the new tiers to the masses of Cumberland? I realize that I wouldn't be able to get the new tier yet, but do you think they would upgrade it so it is just the flip of a switch when the new tiers are released? BTW I currently have a SBV5220.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

You may just want to try taking your modem down to Mechanic St. and say it's not working, it needs replaced, and see what happens. They might just issue you a 6580 (the D3 VoIP modem).

I've had to do that with cable boxes 3 times in the last 6 months.

jrble819

Cumberland, MD

The only thing is that it's a voice modem. So it has to be installed by Atlantic BB. I can't just replace it myself unfortunately. Quite frankly I have yet to figure out why that is...

Os

US

So they can collect the installation fee, of course.

EnerJi

Miami Beach, FL
reply to Os

There's definite congestion--my speedtest just now (at 10:30PM on a Sunday) was for 5 Mb down and 1 Mb up. A speedtest performed during the day on Friday hit 13 Mb down and a little over 1 Mb up.

Sunday evening is considered a "peak" time for broadband usage. Does anyone else experience similar slow downs at peak times?

jrble819

Cumberland, MD
reply to Os

They don't charge anything for it. The modem rental must cover it. At least they have yet to charge us any installation fees. It has to be something else.

neadysamurai

join:2012-02-03
Smock, PA
reply to Os

I upgraded to the triple play package with atlantic broadband and it comes with the unleashed internet does that mean im getting a new modem and the 40 mbs internet?

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast

Yes, you're getting 40. Do a speedtest to check and see if you're getting what you should be.

I did not know it was available in Uniontown yet. This means we're probably next on the list.

Triple play packages in Altoona/Johnstown that had the 10/1 before now have 20/2 and those with the MegaMax 15/1.5 now have the 40/3.

neadysamurai

join:2012-02-03
Smock, PA

1 edit

I had to buy a new router and over wireless im still getting 20 mbs but connected straight to the modem i get 40mbs so i think i need to configure somthing for it to work. I got the netgear 600 the lady said would work.
So without the router i can get 40 mbs speed but connect the router which is suppose to work great for this this im still getting 20mbs on speedtest and on ps3 speedtest.

Davidr627

join:2010-12-29
reply to Os

I called customer service today 2/24. Unleashed will be available at the end of March in Grasonville MD.

Os

US
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Os

ABB has a new billboard here in Cumberland saying that you can "Rule the Web" with speeds 25x faster than DSL.

Since Verizon's max offering here is 3 Mbps, that to me would be 75 Mbps. And ABB isn't offering that anywhere.

They used to offer a 768 Kbps tier at Verizon (I had it), and even at that, you'd have 20 Mbps or so, faster than MegaMax.

This tells me D3 has to be coming very soon here.

F34R

reply to Os

Any chance anyone knows what's going on as far as speed upgrades for Barnwell, SC?

jrble819

Cumberland, MD
reply to Os

Just talked to a tech on the phone and she said that the scheduled date is June 5th for the rollout of Express and Unleashed in Cumberland. So, about a week in advance, we should all be able to start getting our modems upgraded.