West Point, GA
[colo] Atlanta area colo pricing?
What would I be looking for cost wise to colo the following:
Two Dell 2950's
One Dell 2850
Two custom 4U servers
- 14U total in servers plus maybe 1U networking gear if that isn't built in.
Power wise maybe 10A tops IIRC (don't have actual figures for this configuration off the top of my head). Bandwidth we currently have 22/5 through Comcast. I'm fairly sure we can't get that there but maybe. Otherwise something in the 5 Mbps range would be good.
I know there's 55/56 Marietta, Savvis and some others whose name escapes me at the moment. I really don't want to call/email around to these places because it's not something I'm looking at doing anytime soon and I really don't want to be bombarded with yet more solicitations for stuff when I'm just window shopping to be able to do a proper cost analysis.
I'd have to get you a quote for exact pricing when you're ready to seriously consider, but for now I can estimate your costs for colo at Cogent's Atlanta data center (55 Marietta St NW).
For a half rack of space, 110V/20amp power, and 10Mb of bandwidth on our network, you'd likely be looking at between $600-800.
This pricing can vary due to a number of factors, and I'd need to get my tech guys involved to make sure we can set you up with what you need, so please let me know when this project starts to take off. I'd be happy to help!
My direct line is 312-960-6920. Best of luck, and hope to hear from you!
West Point, GA
Thanks! That's about what I expected. We're considering other options for hosting our servers. They're fine where we have them but the office is getting used less and less so now were paying ~$1000 a month for server space and occasional people space. At some point in the future we might not even need it for people or it would be so few and far between it ends up no longer cost effective.
Plus we have the power backup to consider. Right now our UPS is dead, I have one I can put up there (identical to the one that died) but it needs new batteries and at some point I am going to want it back or be compensated for it. That means we need to buy a UPS and the ongoing battery replacement. And we don't even have a generator for long term outages (haven't needed one thankfully). The one saving grace I can say for the office space we're in now is free power
This is why I'm not sure yet on whether we will even pull the trigger. So many things to consider and most of the decisions won't be made by me. I understand I won't get inked in quotes like this but I don't need that either, I'm just looking for ballpark or penciled in numbers that I can pass on to the owners to make their decision with my recommendations.
There are definitely quite a few factors to consider! Our engineers here are awesome and can definitely help hammer out those more technical details when the time is right. If you decide colo is in your future, we can all hop on a call together to go over some options.
Feel free to call my direct line any time, or shoot me an email at email@example.com to get the ball rolling! I'll look forward to working with you