Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DMWCincy

join:2004-04-27
Fairfield, OH

Need a new Manga to read

Ok, here is the list that i'm currently up to date one:

Bleach, Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tails, Claymore, Soul Eater, and The Breakers: New Wave

Looking to read FMA(loved both animes so figured i read the manga) and High School of the Dead. Besides those two does anyone have any suggestions on another Manga I should pick up to read?

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

I really like Katekyo Hitman Reborn, and 07-Ghost.

mareastrum

join:2006-09-10
Saint Louis, MO
reply to DMWCincy

FMA is good, though I will say this: after episode 25 of the original series (not the new one that Cartoon Network is airing) it takes a distinctive turn from the manga itself. The new series is much closer to the manga itself.

My suggestions, this may grow as I talk to the husband later tonight:

Neko Ramen*
Genshiken
Yotsuba&!
Azumanga Diaoh (same manga-ka as Yotsuba&!)
Negima! Magister Negi Magi**

*Maybe hard to find as this was a TokyoPop title.

**Del Rey version, now taken over by Kondansha, so it may be a little hard to find as well.
--
Luffy, Zoro and Usopp: Chopper's a doctor?!?!
Nami: Why did you think we made Chopper join our crew?
Luffy: Seven Level transformation... Cool Reindeer...
Sanji: Emergency food supply...

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to DMWCincy

What about D.Grayman or for the adults here I'd throw in Gantz? I also though Beelzebub was pretty ok too.

alamarco
Premium
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON
reply to DMWCincy

Pretty standard shounen line-up, so I'd go with more of the same.

Like others have mentioned you'll probably like Katekyo Hitman Reborn and D.Grayman. I'd try Reborn first because D.Grayman currently is messy and scattered. I still enjoy it, but it feels way to hectic.

If your willing to venture a little bit, you could also try Black God (Kurokami). The anime was butchered, but the manga is pretty interesting. Out of all Im Dal Young's works, Black God is pretty much your typical shounen. Battles, abilities, slowly getting more powerful, etc.

Black God gets my top pick.

DMWCincy

Fairfield, OH
reply to DMWCincy

Thanks everyone, I'll add everything to my list to read. Should get me through the next month or so

Started last night with D.Grayman and so far its ok. I'll give it another few chapters to decide. No reason for trying this first, just happen to be the first one I came across. I may try hitman next.

mareastrum

Saint Louis, MO
reply to DMWCincy

The husband suggested Tetragrammaton Labryrinth. I thought it was okay, but I'm not into yuri. I'm a yaoi gal

huntermcdole
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Tucson, AZ
reply to DMWCincy

I'm enjoying rosario + vampire, and I read some of the ones you are reading also so it might appeal to you

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to DMWCincy

Highschool of the Dead - the manga is stagnant at the moment, but is a damn good tale to this point. I actually enjoy it more than the anime. How alamarco hasn't recommended this to you........ Yeah, you said you were thinking of reading it, but c'mon,

I would recommend Beelzebub, it's pretty long at the moment, so should provide you with decent reading material catching up to the current one.

My read list is near identical to yours, so I don't have much else to offer. I did just read Usagi Drop through, and thought the end was horrible. Nice story up to the end at least, but kind of out of the genre you're reading.

I just started reading Stein's;Gate and No.6, but haven't gotten too far into them.

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON

LOL

I don't think I would of recommended HOTD if he didn't list it as the list really has no ecchi so I didn't want to recommend anything like that. I think I shocked myself just by typing that. :P

I forgot about Beelzebub, that's another good one to read. I haven't read it, but I'm watching the anime and that's pretty good.

In the same vain I'd recommend SKET Dance too. I'm watching the anime and haven't read the manga, but it's hilarious. Although it's not a battle manga, it's full of good laughs and great characters.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to DMWCincy

said by DMWCincy:

Thanks everyone, I'll add everything to my list to read. Should get me through the next month or so

Started last night with D.Grayman and so far its ok. I'll give it another few chapters to decide. No reason for trying this first, just happen to be the first one I came across. I may try hitman next.

I'll give you a caveat about Hitman Reborn to keep in mind when you first start it so you aren't turned off. It originally started off as a weekly gag kiddie comic so you'll see at the beginning it starts off as one-off isolated issues that look pretty hokey. Later on though they do a complete 180° and turn it into a battle manga and it kinda becomes a cross between Bleach and Dragonball Z.

said by »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reborn! :

Reviewers from the series praised its use of comedy as well as the designs used for the infant characters. They also mentioned that though it has become more violent since volume 8, it has turned into a better shnen series, praising the storylines and the fights.

It goes from being like this:

to being like this:

So as long as you can stick through the early parts or find a recommended chapter guide so you can skip a lot of the fluff in the early part and move on to the essential parts (i.e. character introduction/development), and then skip right to the main story arcs, you will be happy you did.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to DMWCincy

I like Katekyo Hitman Reborn, but like the other posters have warned it starts off childish.

I also enjoy Bakuman which is about 2 people writting a manga, it sounds stupid, but I love the series, I don't really know why. You may also want to consider Psyren.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Agreed its a good manga and was a good anime but it starts of childish

alamarco
Premium
Windsor, ON
reply to DMWCincy

Speaking of manga that starts off bad, but ends up good ...

Medaka Box

Pretty good manga I must say from what started out even worse than Reborn. It always had an interesting plot, and you had some interesting battles, but something felt missing. I don't know what, but I do know is that right now it has that something. Around maybe chapter 50 is when I really started liking this a lot.

It's got physical battles, it's got psychological battles, it makes you think (if you want to lol), it has a ton of characters and some pretty cool abilities.

Give this a shot if you can put up with getting up to date. You really have to get by the boring beginning (though maybe that was just me). Currently it's at chapter 111.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to DMWCincy

With Hitman Reborn, what I did was start watching the anime first, and then started reading reading the manga right where the anime left off. There are about 203 anime episodes out, and 352 manga chapters. If you would prefer to do it like I did, then I can post up a recommended anime episode guide so you can bypass all the unimportant, one-off, kiddie, filler crap episodes and get to the essential ones with character introductions/development, and the main story arcs.
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
reply to alamarco

said by alamarco:

Medaka Box

holy crap...it really picks up around chapter 20!

DMWCincy

Fairfield, OH
reply to DMWCincy

again thanks for all the suggestions. this should get me by or a few months. I do tend to stick to shounen simply because mangas tend to be my brainless action reading. I have enough historic and technical books to read if I want to exercise my brain more.

As mention I liked D.grayman and will read Hitman Reborn and House of the dead next then go from there. I'm pretty easy to please with mangas.

urbanracer34

join:2010-01-06
Saskatoon, SK
reply to DMWCincy

Two I can suggest are Love Hina and Video Girl Ai. Both are suitable for Teens and up IMO.

Love Hina is about A guy trying to get into university who ends up becoming the landlord of a GIRLS DORM?! (Cue mass fanservice :-p) and Video Girl Ai is, well, you have to find out on your own, but the title gives 2 key plot points away

Tenar

join:2008-01-02
Midland, ON
reply to DMWCincy

My tastes are probably different than your but I've been enjoying 20th century boys.

I like shounen but I often find the stories are too similar from book to book so I like some manga that present different story.

mareastrum

Saint Louis, MO
reply to urbanracer34

Not sure why you gave Love Hina spoiler tags; it's not as if the info isn't readily available on the internet.

If you do go for Love Hina, wait for the reprints. This was a TokyoPop title, so it's going to be hard to find. Kodansha picked this title up as well, and they're going to be retranslating it. There's talk about them also releasing it as a mega volume rather than the individual volumes.

I'd also suggest Akamatsu's earlier work, A.I. Love You as well. It's his first work, and while rough around the edges, it's very good.
--
Luffy, Zoro and Usopp: Chopper's a doctor?!?!
Nami: Why did you think we made Chopper join our crew?
Luffy: Seven Level transformation... Cool Reindeer...
Sanji: Emergency food supply...

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to DMWCincy

Berserk end thread.

DMWCincy

Fairfield, OH
reply to DMWCincy

Well, just caught up to D.Grayman and liked it good enough. Will agree it slowed down a bit towards the end of the hundreds but we'll see how it goes. I'm off to HS of the dead next.