spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kphutch
@rr.com

kphutch

Anon

[Vista] Uninstall IE9 but it's not listed in the Installed Updat

I am trying to help my Mother with her computer. She has a Dell Dimension running 32-bit Vista Home Premium...SP2. The other day I went to Windows Update, and one of the updates offered was an upgrade to IE9. The update was successful. After re-booting I tried to open the browser, but nothing happened. I mean nothing....after double clicking the shortcut, nothing happened. So I went to Run and typed in "iexplore.exe"......again nothing. So I went back to the updates section and looked at the update history....yes it was there "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Vista" and the status was "successful".

She uses Google Chrome most of the time, so I didn't worry about it for a couple of days. But then I noticed that I could not print any email messages from Windows Mail. I googled that problem and learned that Windows Mail get its instructions from IE. At that point I decided enough was enough and proceeded to try to uninstall IE9 and revert back to IE8.

Again after googling, I learned that an IE9 uninstall has to be performed from the Installed Updates section of Control Panel>Programs>Programs and Features. Here is the big problem....when I click on "view installed updates", the IE9 update is nowhere to be found.

So I am stuck and asking for help. My computer shows that IE9 was successfully updated in the Windows Update section (when I dig down and look at the details the version is listed as 9.0.8.112.16421).....but it doesn't work, nothing happens when I try to open it. In a classic catch-22, IE9 doesn't show up in the place that I need it to be in order to uninstall it.

Please help!! Thanks in advance!!

Ronnie_USA
Premium Member
join:2003-10-09
Morehead, KY

Ronnie_USA

Premium Member

Re: [Vista] Uninstall IE9 but it's not listed in the Installed U

That's because Internet Explorer 9 installs as a Windows update. Here's what you need to do to uninstall IE9 on Windows Vista or Windows 7:

1. click your windows button and type view updates in the search box
2. once the results appear, click view installed updates

Don't want to search? Press Win+R and paste in the following:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{d450a8a1-9568-45c7-9c0e-b4f9fb4537bd}
then press Enter.

3. wait for the Uninstall an update screen to load completely
4. scroll through the list until you find Windows Internet Explorer 9
5. click once to highlight IE9, then click the Uninstall button (or right-click and uninstall)
6. confirm that you want to uninstall (click yes)

kphutch
@rr.com

kphutch

Anon

That's the problem.....step #4 you list above....

There is nothing in the list that says "Windows Internet Explorer 9"

Ronnie_USA
Premium Member
Morehead, KY

Ronnie_USA

Premium Member

said by kphutch :

That's the problem.....step #4 you list above....

There is nothing in the list that says "Windows Internet Explorer 9"

Did You click on what I have highlighted first?
Then You should see it.

kphutch
@rr.com

kphutch

Anon

Yes.....it's not there

Ronnie_USA
Premium Member
Morehead, KY

Ronnie_USA

Premium Member

Try reinstalling it, and then uninstall it.

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· loads/ie

kphutch
@rr.com

kphutch

Anon

It won't reinstall......fails every time I try it
Zak_
join:2003-03-26

1 edit

Zak_

Try third method and if no success seventh method here:

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 99b31bf5

Leathal
Premium Member
join:2002-02-09
Richmond Hill, ON

Leathal to kphutch

Premium Member

to kphutch
said by kphutch :

It won't reinstall......fails every time I try it

This is the first time I have seen that IE9 doesn't show up in Programs and Features under View installed updates, no one on TechNet or MSDN has reported this problem yet, so I guess you are lucky number one, I would go back to the View Installed Updates again and give it a couple of minutes to populate and have a second look for Windows Internet Explorer 9 again.

L.

janie
@comcast.net

janie

Anon

I have the same problem...not listed in control panel under programs and features....

John1930
@wideopenwest.com

John1930

Anon

On my Win7 under Programs and features within Control panel I find
IE9 listed in the installed updates.

Meetoo
@sbcglobal.net

Meetoo to Leathal

Anon

to Leathal
Updates are not showing in Installed Updates in my case. In my two other systems, updates shows up in Installed Updates. So, while while Microsoft may have not reported this problem yet, it/there is a problem. Maybe microsoft is just not wamting to know this or considers it a non-problem
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to kphutch

Premium Member

to kphutch
Check this file for any related messages:
C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium Member
join:2009-09-11

The Pig to kphutch

Premium Member

to kphutch
Would a system restore to before the install work?