Search similar:

uniqs

Frowben
join:2011-07-24
London, ON

Frowben to KPaul

to KPaul

Re: [Cable] London slowdowns?

Im hoping we get a response from tsi on this.
redgrandam
join:2010-08-10
London, ON

redgrandam to KPaul

to KPaul
I posted in direct forum last night, I got a reply. they are gathering information into this issue, and want pings, traceroutes, and speedtests etc. I urge everyone having this problem to post in there and send in the requested information. the more info and the more that let them know there is a problem, the better... I'll wait till it's a little slower tonight and send in the requested info...

Frowben
London, ON

Frowben

I;m at 4 mbps again right now. posted in direct with the required info.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

1 edit

evil_gusgus to KPaul

to KPaul
Yep, there are problems.

Edit: Posted in the direct forum, would encourage other people from London experiencing problems to post there too. Wouldn't be surprised if its from all the students going back to school here.
Arcturus
join:2008-04-18
London, ON

Arcturus to KPaul

to KPaul
Testing now, and old east is getting the slowdowns, guess I hadn't noticed when I first posted.

Although mine doesn't appear to be ad 'bad' as some people.

To Hamilton (fastest/auto)

To Clifford:

To Michigan

To Ottawa

Up and down all over the chart, for sure there is some bandwidth issues.
justsomeguy8
join:2007-10-08
N5M3Z3

justsomeguy8 to KPaul

to KPaul
Teksavvy probably launched in London with 1gbit of capacity
on their London POI that every teksavvy customer in the city goes through.

they probably recently passed the amount of customers that this 1gbit connection can comfortably support and it needs an upgrade.

Frowben
London, ON

Frowben to redgrandam

to redgrandam
It's slow in white oaks too...
londoner1
join:2007-04-26
London, ON

londoner1 to KPaul

to KPaul

Yep slow again Ham RD and Rectory
redgrandam
London, ON

redgrandam to Arcturus

to Arcturus
I wouldn't recommend using speedtest.net. It seems to show 14 MBps for me, when I only I'm only getting around 5-7. The DSLR one seems to be a lot more accurate for realtime readings..

Frowben
London, ON

Frowben

I just got off of the phone with TSI techsupport, and we did a whole whack of tests and determined it's a problem on Roger's end (oh great) and there's an open ticket sent to Rogers. I'm sure any input anyone else gives to TSI will help to ensure Rogers fixes this sooner than later.
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1 to KPaul

to KPaul

this is starting to remind of the @Home days..yep they grew too fast too quick without the infrastructure them KABOOM
aaron158
join:2004-08-09
London, ON

aaron158 to KPaul

to KPaul
took 2 days to get a reply after i posted all the pings and this is all they said.

Hey,

Sorry about the time it took to respond to this thread. This is a issue that is becoming very serious in a short period of time I will post all this information on your account.
redgrandam
London, ON

redgrandam

with any luck we might have some kind of an answer by the end of the week. It really is amazing how fast it went from really good here to quite bad.
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1

surprisingly last night people were posting the same concerns on the Rogers page...but nada tonight so it seems

zapp7
@teksavvy.com

zapp7

Anon

I'm in North Center (downtown) and I'm only getting 5M on the 15/1 plan. Definitely slowdowns here.
redgrandam
London, ON

redgrandam to londoner1

to londoner1
Probably because it is not as bad. Well for me I'm about 25% or so less than normal, last night I was about 75% reduction in speed. Probably because Sunday night is the busiest night.
VladimirZ
join:2011-02-25
London, ON

VladimirZ to KPaul

to KPaul
Well, while speed tests gave me very bad results tonight (similar to ones that were already posted) it is not really an issue of total bandwidth available.

30 minutes ago I was downloading from the Usenet at respectable 2.8-2.9 MB/s. But over 30 connections. A bit earlier I was pulling down work files from the UWO lab over SSH and none of them went over 500 KB/s, however, I was able to go from 1 to 4 simultaneous downloads and all of them will be around 400-450 KB/s (then I ran out of needed files).

It seems that maybe Rogers has some QoS setting in place for peak hours that limits how much bandwidth is allocated per individual connection.

So depending on your usage scenario you may not even notice any slow downs. I did have Usenet download set to 2 MB/s going (over multiple threads), simultaneously with the family watching Netflix SD stream (at max SD rate of 1750 b/s) and myself doing some web surfing with no ill effects.
justsomeguy8
join:2007-10-08
N5M3Z3

justsomeguy8

Its not any kind of QoS, the evening slowdowns are caused most likely by Teksavvy signing up too many customers in London without ordering a bigger pipe from Rogers to support it.

Just look at all the Toronto evening slowdown threads if you want to see whats been going on there. Its basically the same thing on a larger scale.
briggs12
join:2009-02-17
London, ON

briggs12 to KPaul

to KPaul
I'm still getting terrible speeds. I'm on the 15/1 profile too.

KPaul
join:2007-02-08

KPaul

The shit...
schronnery
join:2011-08-23

schronnery to VladimirZ

to VladimirZ
not true for me. 20 connections on usenet only pulling 1.2 - 1.6MB/s for the past few nights. same servers and connections during the day/early evening I see a steady 2.8MB/s
[att=1]
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1 to KPaul

to KPaul

keeps getting worse grrrrr
ArtanicA
join:2011-09-05

ArtanicA

Morning London Speeds
Clearly there is something wrong in London...Morning speeds are up where they should be (24+ Mb/s) but the evening drops down to sub 5 Mb/s. And the cause seems to be related to when they flipped the switch on the speed upgrades...possibly without upgrading the hardware first???

That's the problem though there are too many question marks as to the cause and no schedule for a solution. How much is Teksavvy and Rogers aware of an issue? And Rogers current solution to exchange modems is just busy work to avoid announcing a problem delivering the service they charge a premium for. Common sense will tell you modems are not delivering variable speeds based on time of day.

Guess I'll keep running speed tests and let Teksavvy know if the evening speed doesn't improve once I see London Rogers customers are not experiencing the same issue.

Frowben
London, ON

Frowben

Definitely only a nighttime problem:

redgrandam
London, ON

redgrandam to KPaul

to KPaul
agreed. Not really an issue during the daytime hours...

A reminder to ANYONE with the issues, be sure to post in the direct forum, as they likely need complaints from as many people as possible to get Rogers to actually fix things (assuming it is a rogers issue...)
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1 to KPaul

to KPaul

Well I opened a ticket with TS on Sunday evening. At the time (~11pm) I was getting 1500-2000 kbps. If I get a response that has some reasonable explanation I'll post it here.

Couple things I do wonder about are:

What is the topography of the network. Looking at a tracert it looks like i move from Rogers (69.63.242.9) to Teksavvy (24.246.55.30 which looks like it's here in london) then continue on Teksavvy to Toronto (hitting the tor.packetflow.ca node). Where does Rogers control my connection and where does Teksavvy takeover? Does/Can Rogers arbitrarily throttle back the re-sellers (like me on Teksavvy)? Really what's stopping them except some Service Level Agreement and perhaps a somewhat ineffective CRTC??

Maybe someone can clarify how a company like Teksavvy buys line space from Rogers. The way I understand it is that Internet data is transferred over coax on certain frequencies in the 6MHz range. Does my next door neighbour (a Rogers customer) and me a Teksavvy customer share the same freq's or are we segmented off in the space? If we are sharing the wire with the same freq's wouldn't it make sense if possible (big IF) for Teksavvy to simply lease freq's on the line (assuming they don't because I see rogers nodes in the tracert), and in doing that completely separate us from them and in turn have control over the full user experience?

Based on my IP (24.246.17.x) and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224 their are 30 nodes on my subnet with 24.246.17.33 being the DHCP Server and Gateway.

Tracing route to teksavvy.com [206.248.147.105]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 5 ms 5 ms 6 ms 10.125.132.129
2 11 ms 9 ms 12 ms 69.63.242.9
3 56 ms 99 ms 103 ms london.cable.teksavvy.com [24.246.55.30]
4 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms london.cable.teksavvy.com [24.246.55.25]
5 10 ms 10 ms 11 ms 2120.ae0.agg01.tor.packetflow.ca [69.196.136.77]

6 19 ms 17 ms 18 ms bdr01.chatham.teksavvy.com [206.248.154.118]
7 17 ms 20 ms 18 ms ssg.chatham.teksavvy.com [206.248.154.204]
8 19 ms 19 ms 19 ms willy.teksavvy.com [206.248.147.105]

Frowben
London, ON

Frowben

slow again tonight for everyone else in London?

aaron158
join:2004-08-09
London, ON

2 edits

aaron158

yup

has teksavvy told u what is cuasing the slow downs?

they seem to be totaly ingoring the post i made. i had to pm one of them after 3 days of waiting for them to respond just to get a respones saying they have added the infoermation to my account. didn't even tell me nothing about what the problem is or when they expect it to be resloved. i replyed back asking for more detials. now my post is on page 3 and there not responding again. starting to feel like i'm talking to rogers techs here were they just ingore that there is problems and sweep it under the carpet.
redgrandam
London, ON

redgrandam

yeah same here

I would take a guess that they are waiting on a reply from Rogers end, as most things seem to point to them as the problem. Likely not many Rogers customers are saying much, as tends to happen, most of them don't notice or don't care. I guess we are a little more picky

I too would like any kind of indication that things will be fixed, or just what is wrong. I suppose this kind of communication wouldn't happen with Rogers, like what we get here, so we come to expect some sort of extra information, but often don't get it.

We just might have to keep on them for a while, and hopefully after the busy time here with back to school they will have some more information for us.

I plan to keep posting speedtests in my direct support thread to bump it back up until we get some kind of an answer here . I even linked to this thread but obviously no public post as of yet...
londoner1
London, ON

londoner1 to KPaul

to KPaul

Well I hope that all those potential new customers are paying attention. TekSavvy doesn't seem to be!

BTW this is the 15M/1M service that I'm paying for