to BellACancer

Re: Hurt Locker P2P Lawsuit Comes to Canada

»technaute.cyberpresse.ca ··· vis.php?

Translation by Google

Download The Hurt Locker: Canadian Internet users continued
Alain McKenna, Editor The Press
November 28, 2011 | 09 h 01

Enlarge
The studio that produced The Hurt Locker (pictured) of Quebec Internet threat of prosecution if they do not pay the sum of $ 1500 each. - Photo: AP / Summit EntertainmentTaille text
Print
Send
Comment
RSS - Internet

Unable to charge of U.S. Internet users have downloaded and English for his film The Hurt Locker (Locker, in French) by the BitTorrent protocol, the American studio Voltage Pictures arrives in Canada, threatening to turn Quebec Internet prosecuted s' they did not pay immediately the amount of $ 1,500 each.

For more information
Bell | BitTorrent | Cogeco | Rogers | Telus | Consumers Union | Video | Shaw Communications | Cable | Authentication | Intellectual property and rights? Author | Protection of Privacy
Last week, the law firm Goudreau Gage Dubuc and was commissioned to write a letter of formal notice to nearly thirty Quebec Internet. In September, Voltage Pictures has obtained a federal court order requiring service providers Bell, Cogeco and Videotron to provide the identity of 30 of their customers they suspect of violating his copyright.

These were identified from the Internet address ("IP") modem that provided them these three companies to access the internet. The same method used by the American studio United States and the United Kingdom, where over 25,000 similar lawsuits are already underway. In both countries, no prosecution has yet been set for Voltage Pictures.

Identification method

In Canada too, this method of identification raises questions, since it does not identify beyond doubt the user who downloaded a particular file. This could be another family member, neighbor or a pure stranger, if access to the customer's network is not well protected, said Howard Knopf, a lawyer specializing in intellectual property and entitled to the internet firm Macera & Jarzyna in Ottawa

"It raises the strong possibility that there is mistaken identity and that the client is not the one who actually downloaded the film," he said, noting that this argument is that the prosecution was derailed similar started in 2004 by representatives of the music industry.

"At the time, they tried to prosecute minors and even the deceased. It has greatly harmed the image of the industry, "he adds. According to the lawyer, this may mean that the U.S. studio will not go to the end of his threats, rather than by mechanical rolling to scare users covered by its warnings.

And it seems to work, at least in part. Voltage Pictures and the firm Goudreau Gage Dubuc and refuse to comment publicly on the matter, but a source close to the record supports that part of the persons mentioned by the producer quickly contacted it to resolve the dispute "in a manner or another. "

However, all will not pay the $ 1,500 required. Under the condition of anonymity, at least one of the defendants told the press that he would await the verdict of a judge. In that and other targeted individuals, Mr. Anthony Hemond, telecommunications analyst for Consumers Union in Montreal, still recommend to consult a lawyer, because the penalty, if any, may reach $ 20 000, according to the Law on Copyright.

"They have an interest to come together to share the cost of a good defense, because the studio could decide to go through with his approach," he said.

Bell, Cogeco and Videotron stigmatized

Interestingly raised by both counsel, users referred to in this case reside in Quebec and are customers of suppliers Bell, Cogeco and Videotron. However, this is a federal issue, which applies to the entire country. Customers of Rogers, Shaw and Telus are they all absent from BitTorrent?

Not necessarily, Mr. Knopf noted, according to Bell and Videotron, in particular, have a historical bias in favor of industry. "In 2004, Shaw and Telus had defended the right to privacy of their customers. Bell has done nothing, while Vidéotron was on the side of the industry. Maybe if they had defended their clients at the time, there would be no prosecution today, "he said.

Anthony Hemond me agrees. He adds: "They could have more appeal and defend the privacy of their customers. One may ask about the degree of respect they show towards their customers and their privacy. "

Copyright open redefinition

The copyright is being redefined in Canada. It's been years that the government is trying to revise the definition to reflect the new digital reality. The proposed new version, Bill C-11, does not suit everyone, but it at least has the merit of better control where the law seems to have been violated.

In his letter sent to users targeted by Voltage Pictures in the case of the film The Hurt Locker, the firm Goudreau Gage Dubuc and cited two previous cases where people have been convicted. The penalty was set at $ 5,000 in the first case and $ 1,000 per film for 14 films, in the second.

Right now, the Law on Copyright remains rather vague about the seriousness of such offenses. If they were convicted, the defendants could be fined from 500 to 20 000 USD, an amount left to the judge's background and intentions of the person deemed at fault. If Bill C-11 is accepted before we make it that far, these amounts would be adjusted downwards, the limit proposed by C-11 is $ 5000.

The website of the Public Interest Clinic and Internet Policy in Canada (CIPPIC.ca), among others, provides tools for users keen to learn about the legal framework surrounding the download protocol for peer-to-peer, and for more information on Bill C-11.

and more
@videotron.ca

and more

Anon

Hurt Locker wants to hurt wallets of downloaders
»www.cjad.com/CJADLocalNe ··· 10318624

If you downloaded the Hollywood movie The Hurt Locker illegally off the Internet, you may be getting a lawyer's letter in the mail.

Voltage Pictures has hired a law firm to go after at least 30 Quebec downloaders, billing them for 15-hundred dollars each.

Voltage got the IP addresses from Bell, Cogeco and Videotron after a court ruling in September.

But can the movie studio be successful in its feat to get some compensation?

Anthony Hémond, a lawyer with the Consumer Union says, it will be very difficult. He says there is one big problem with the case and that's the fact that it's hard to zero in on the person who did the downloading by an IP address.

He notes an IP address represents a machine, not a person, so it's possible of identifying the wrong person.

His advice to anyone receiving one of these letters is to consult a lawyer. Bur if you know you are guilty, might be best to pay the 15-hundred dollar fee because if the movie company decides to pursue you, penalties can go as high as 20-thousand dollars.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer to static416

to static416
I wonder if Aréna Canadien inc received the letter

doubt it
@videotron.ca

doubt it

Anon

said by ohmer:

I wonder if Aréna Canadien inc received the letter

They can pick and chose who they will extort. I highly doubt they will send an extortion letter to the Montreal Canadiens.
james45
join:2011-10-29
Victoria, BC

james45 to static416

to static416
»www.huffingtonpost.ca/20 ··· 810.html

oh LOOK
@videotron.ca

oh LOOK

Anon

tsk tsk
So there is a Russian website that is databasing what IP's are downloading what. The URL is: »www.youhavedownloaded.com/

I pumped in the Montreal Canadians IP address, 207.61.47.217. Yup this site nailed them. Though the Montreal Canadiens say it's impossible since their firewall blocks p2p

Guess the tunes they play at the Montreal Bell Centre are pirated...

This would be Bells second and third strike...
oh LOOK

oh LOOK

Anon

Oh. Look what else I found.

When I first went looking into these IP addresses (»Re: Hurt Locker P2P Lawsuit Comes to Canada) I couldn't resolve a few of them. Particularly the 207.236.136.66 IP.

Well after checking out that new Russian database I found that only the Montreal Canadiens and that IP are listed out of the IP's (a quick check).

Lo and behold. that IP i just found out belongs to the MOntreal Airport Hilton Hotel!

IP Address: 207.236.136.66
IP Host: 207.236.136.66
Find IP Address Location for 'My IP' 207.236.136.66
Continent: North America (NA)
State: Quebec
City: Montreal
ISP: Bell Canada
Organization: Hilton Montreal Airport

Another fine business protected by Bell Canada

Look what they downloaded: »www.youhavedownloaded.co ··· 6.136.66

heh

Will the Hilton Hotel be sued? Or will they get a free pass?

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

What is interesting with the Montreal Airport Hilton is that they run "SuperClick". From what I know of SuperClick is that each and every hotel user is tracked (name and room number type thing). So the Hilton just can't say they don't know who it is. They keep logs of this to also make money by selling info to marketers and advertisers.

So they know who went to what website or downloaded what. (also see »www.nerdblog.com/2007/01 ··· vil.html for more on SuperClick, owned by AT&T)

Hilton running superclick seen here: »207.236.136.66/superclic ··· ndex.php

Now will the Hilton pay off the extortionists? Tell them to take a hike? Or divulge who their customers are so the hotel guest could be extorted?

This is another interesting one to watch...
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to oh LOOK

to oh LOOK
said by oh LOOK :

So there is a Russian website that is databasing what IP's are downloading what. The URL is: »www.youhavedownloaded.com/

I pumped in the Montreal Canadians IP address, 207.61.47.217. Yup this site nailed them. Though the Montreal Canadiens say it's impossible since their firewall blocks p2p

My CURRENT IP address is listed there. Of course, with dynamic IP addresses, that doesn't prove anything.
james45
join:2011-10-29
Victoria, BC

james45 to static416

to static416
That's 2 commercial accounts out of 30. (Bell Center, and Hilton) What are the chances of that being an oversight. In the US lawsuits they always drop the commercial accounts, along with high profile people with money that might file disputes. And why are the settlement letters in Canada only $1500 when in the US they are double that amount. I think they want to make it look like a US style lawsuit, but the actual motive is to have the commercial accounts put pressure on their ISP's who will put pressure on the CRTC to allow them to block or throttle P2P. Sound logical???

heh
@videotron.ca

heh to Walter Dnes

Anon

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

My CURRENT IP address is listed there. Of course, with dynamic IP addresses, that doesn't prove anything.

Yup that's true.

However, The Bell Centre and the Hilton can't claim the same
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

BTW, Anthony Hémond has left the Union des Consommateurs for a job in private practice. Don't know who his replacement will be.

ah news
@videotron.ca

ah news

Anon

I didn't know that. His twitter page still says Union des Consommateurs.

Guess the Union des Consommateurs doesn't pay enough
jfmezei
Premium Member
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC

jfmezei

Premium Member

I am not sure of his exact date of leaving the Union. Could be that the switch hasn't happened yet.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to heh

Anon

to heh
»torrentfreak.com/busted- ··· -111213/

>After some initial skimming we’ve discovered BitTorrent pirates at nearly every major entertainment industry company in the US, including Sony Pictures Entertainment, Fox Entertainment and NBC Universal. Busted.
Expand your moderator at work

LostNfound
@videotron.ca

LostNfound to jfmezei

Anon

to jfmezei

Re: Hurt Locker P2P Lawsuit Comes to Canada

said by jfmezei:

I am not sure of his exact date of leaving the Union.

He's here, »www.allali.ca/en3/index.html.
Geek1018
join:2011-09-18
canada

Geek1018 to static416

to static416
There was an update yesterday (28 December 2011) on IPPractice:
»www.ippractice.ca/file-b ··· -1373-11

Anyone has an idea of what these updates mean?

Also, has anyone heard something about the person that was suppose not to settle with them?

Thanks

Concerned
@bell.ca

Concerned

Anon

The lawyers representing Voltage requested more time to gather defendants, and were granted until March 2nd to submit a report regarding their progress.
Lynn0
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
Trenton, ON

Lynn0 to oh LOOK

Premium Member

to oh LOOK
said by oh LOOK :

Guess I have been a good girl

"Hi. We have no records on you.

This means you are using a private torrent tracker or, of course, you may not be a torrent user at all! It happens. Please, entertain yourself. Feel free to see what other people have downloaded. The search box is on the top. If you have any friends who use torrents, use it to scare them off. We also have a widget that you can install in your website, blog or Facebook page. Or you can just send them a link to this site. They will see a table similar to what you see below. The only difference — they will see their downloads.

Ott_Cable
@teksavvy.com

Ott_Cable to Concerned

Anon

to Concerned
Or gather additional defendants once Harper passes US **AA's his government's new copyright law.

I hope the "We know what you did last summer" (TM) website brings a bit more awareness to people concerning their choice of file sharing methods. This war just like any recent US wars is far from over.