spc
Search similar:

uniqs

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz

Premium Member

[FireFox] [FYI] Mozilla Privacy Blog (new)

Alex Fowler — Moving Mozilla stuff to our new Privacy Blog

via Planet Mozilla - today by Alex Fowler @10:33:45
quote:
We’ve launched the Mozilla Privacy Blog today to bring together announcements and news about all the awesome work we’re doing in privacy! Covering our work on Do Not Track, privacy icons, as well as new product features and policy activities, the blog is intended to be our hub for privacy.
To kick things off, we’ve posted The Do Not Track Field Guide, which includes the latest adoption numbers of DNT by Firefox users. The Guide includes case studies, tutorials and sample code. In addition, our Metrics team provided a nice chart of the rate of user adoption of DNT, which is included with the post about the Guide.
Exciting stuff!

chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

hacks.mozilla.org — Alex Fowler about DNT and online privacy
via Planet Mozilla - today by Tristan Nitot at 10:20:40

This is the first of an interview series conducted by Tristan Nitot, long-time Mozilla contributor and one of the founders of Mozilla Europe. Today, Tristan interviews Alex Fowler, Global Privacy and Public policy lead for Mozilla.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Thank you for the link to that blog.

I don't understand why anyone would use Private browsing in Fx/SM the way it is set up currently. I'd LOVE to have Fx/SM tell sites to not track me but I cannot enable that. If I enable that then I have NO history and NO ability to control cookies! It is a HORRIBLE setup and goes to show that since Fx 1.5 Mozilla has steadily moved AWAY from privacy for its users.

Why can't I tell Fx/SM to instruct websites to NOT track me yet at the same time be able to control cookies properly and have history? Not tracking me has NOTHING to do with whether or not one wants history kept and has NOTHING to do with how the user handles cookies. Do not track simply tells websites not to track your movements. I didn't notice if comments are possible on that Fx Privacy blog. If they are that would be wonderful because I want to have that developer explain to me why he chose to set up Privacy mode in such an extremely bad manner so that few would use it!

EDIT: My bad but I had not looked closely at SeaMonkey's Do Not Track/Private Mode when I wrote the above. Sea Monkey doesn't have Private Mode BUT IT HAS A SUPERIOR DO NOT TRACK because I can enable it and that does not disable cookie handling as I have it set up and does not disable history keeping. Sea Monkey is MUCH BETTER than Fx on this. It makes me even more curious why Fx Do Not Track is set up so poorly. Do Not Track in Fx should be SEPARATE from Private Mode as I want Do Not Track but do not want Private Mode.

Now if SeaMonkey could use Piro's extensions I'd be using SeaMonkey all the time instead of Fx.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

1 recommendation

Grail Knight to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Thanks chachazz.
Added it to Newsfox for some reading later.

alamarco
Premium Member
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON

2 recommendations

alamarco to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Mele20 See Profile, not sure if this is the same thing that you are referring to, but Firefox recently added the do not track to the options menu. Under the Privacy tab there is a "Tell websites I do not want to be tracked". This in the same place that allows you to control the history and cookie settings.

Nothing to do with private browsing, but you can setup a much more secure setup manually catered to the user instead of what Mozilla wants.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thanks! That must have been added since Fx 4.01 that I have. I'll probably upgrade to ver 7 when it officially comes out. I am not sure though as I need an extension for bookmarks to work and I have read that it does not work past ver 4 and the author has not updated it in quite awhile. There is no other bookmark extension anything like the one I need sooo....as always...extensions are why we use Fx and, thus, we use the version of Fx that will work with our extensions.

I'm glad to know Fx added that.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

1 recommendation

Grail Knight

Premium Member

quote:
.extensions are why we use Fx and, thus, we use the version of Fx that will work with our extensions.
Speak for yourself.

You base the version of Fx you use on what extensions still work with it.

I use the latest version of Fx for its features and security then tweak/make extensions and themes work with the latest Fx version.

If I can not get an extension to work I ditch it for something similar.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

said by Grail Knight:

[

If I can not get an extension to work I ditch it for something similar.

i don't base version necessarily on what "still" works with it. TBE 3 package is for Fx 4 and above so it doesn't "still" work with a new version of Fx. It works only with versions since March 2011. But the problem is not with TBE 3 package.

What do you do if you have what is to you an "essential" extension that doesn't work on the latest Fx, cannot be made to work, and there is NO OTHER extension anything like it? Most folks would stay with the version of Fx that extension worked with and hope the author would eventually work on it, another developer would take it over, or that Fx would incorporate the extension into itself.

You didn't read my post closely. I stated that there is no similar extension available so your "I ditch for something similar" doesn't apply. The extension will not install on SeaMonkey current version (worked on old versions) or I would use SeaMonkey (assuming Piro makes TBE 3 package available for current SeaMonkey).

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Thanks! That must have been added since Fx 4.01 that I have. I'll probably upgrade to ver 7 when it officially comes out. I am not sure though as I need an extension for bookmarks to work and I have read that it does not work past ver 4 and the author has not updated it in quite awhile. There is no other bookmark extension anything like the one I need sooo....as always...extensions are why we use Fx and, thus, we use the version of Fx that will work with our extensions.

I'm glad to know Fx added that.

quote:
Mozilla Firefox 4 Beta, now including “Do Not Track” capabilities
February 8th, 2011

...With the integration of the “Do Not Track” option into Firefox 4 Beta, you can now check a “Do Not Track” box in the “Advanced” screen of Firefox’s Options.
»blog.mozilla.com/blog/20 ··· ilities/

Note: since moved to Options > Privacy.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thank you! I'm not sure how I missed that. I guess because I was busy with the hardware acceleration option that is above it. I also think I thought it was to stop ads being shown rather than stop tracking. I already have Proxo to stop ads. Anyhow, I have it checked now and I know where to look for it when I do upgrade Fx (which will be to ver 7 if it really does help with memory problems. 618,000k at the moment...but I do have a lot of tabs open. It doesn't release RAM properly though when minimized for long periods so I hope 7 fixes that).

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

1 recommendation

Grail Knight to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
I do not assume what most people are doing unless I ask all of them and that is never going to happen.

I had already said what I do if I find an extension no longer works I get rid of it and move along to something else. It is called adapting to something new.

There is always something new to come along for Fx and if Fx gets old there are other browsers to move to. Either way you look at it the end result of any browser is to get one online, security, and ease of use.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Unreal.I've been using the Private Browsing mode on Firefox since it came out and love it.

It works and cleans out all my info ,with no problems ever~

What else can I say?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I'm sorry that you are forced to share your computer with other people. I hope some day you don't have to do that.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

How do you know he shares his computer with other people and even if he is I doubt it is forced?

I do not share my computer and still use Private Browsing Mode just for the hell of it. It is also a good way to leave nothing when I do not feel like running CCleaner.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Why would anyone be obsessed with "leaving nothing" unless they had something to hide from others who use the same computer? I guess he also shuts down frequently. I believe my computer has been running, along with Fx, for about a month now. I do have to reboot about once a month as memory get messed up otherwise...but that's probably because it is XP. A newer OS should be able to not need rebooting or shutting down ever unless installing something that requires it.

Cookies, correctly configured, are not bad and who wants to have to login in every time they visit here or other sites where they wish to be logged in?

I have never used CCleaner. I am not obsessed with having nothing on my computer that has to do with browsing. I value history (more than bookmarks) and I like having Fx suggest from either history or bookmarks what I am typing in the address bar.

Now, using Private Browsing just for the hell of it occasionally ... I can see that ...but all the time, I simply don't see why unless the person shares the computer with others. Or unless there is some sort of tracking I am not aware of, but I keep a tab open all the time to Collusion to check on connections.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Using CCleaner has nothing to do with being obsessive about cleaning.
It is a maintenance tool. For all the issues you have with your software you might want to learn what maintenance is.

I run a tidy computer is all and considering I made a great living doing things my way on computers and had happy clients I see no problem continuing doing things my way at home.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

2 recommendations

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Mele I'm getting a little tired of your misinformed rants.

You continue to post these long winded retorts when it's very obvious to those that actually know how to run a computer and configure their browsers securely,that you haven't got a clue.

Running PBM has very little to do with sharing which I don't do.

Using the Secure Logon extension or the Wand [for Opera],just in case you've never heard of it controls the logins quite well,and there is no need to keep any cookies,Flash/Sol ,etc.

I've set up every browser I use this way [5 of them][all the latest versions,] too,btw.

I also set my customers machines up this way and explain to them exactly how to use them.

You may want to bone up on your homework to better understand the benefits of keeping no info around. :eek:
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I don't rant but you sure do.

I don't get infected. I don't have major problems with my computers either. People who don't like me like to imagine I do. I am using the original install of XP Pro ...over 5.5 years old now. I never had to reinstall 98SE when I had it and that machine ran for over ten years.

If I do have a question no one here (in recent years...wasn't this way when I joined) ever seems to have knowledge about the issue which tells me the general knowledge level in this forum about computers, mozilla, etc is average user knowledge and no more except on a very few issues. I ask here for the hell of it...I don't expect knowledgeable answers...nor do I any longer expect interesting, knowledgeable discussions about computer security programs, etc. or much of anything at this site as it is deteriorating very rapidly these days (has been slowly for years now but has accelerated recently) in the quality of posts here.

I value history. You don't. You think everyone should trash history. O.K. Do your thing but don't tell me to trash my history. Hopefully, some day you will grow up and realize the value of history both on your computer and in real life.

As for Opera's wand that is the first thing I turn OFF in Opera. I do not trust my browsers blindly like you do...that will come back to bite you one day.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
Valhalla

2 edits

1 recommendation

Grail Knight

Premium Member

It is not that people know less about computers around here it is just that I do not help users who never listen as well as users to lazy to learn about the software they have installed on their own computer.

As for allowing the web browser to save passwords you have no idea what passwords and information is being saved by users here if any.