uniqs

FastEddie

join:2000-12-29
Channel Z

4 edits

3 recommendations

FastEddie

[Mods] Turn Nook Color To Android Tablet

I've spent a lot of time reading and doing this mod and can now set it up in 5 minutes. The first time will take you about 15-20 minutes but I'm going to help cut that down by giving you what I learned.

This does not void the Nook's warranty

What do I need:

MicroSD card and adpater plus a USB reader.

What MicroSD card?

8 GB SanDisk CLASS 4 has been working great for me.

And a 16 GB SanDisk CLASS 4 works real good too.

Some tips he also tells you what "must have apps" you should get once your done.

The Guide

Step 1: Grab the installer image (change the gz extension to zip) and unzip

Step 2: Grab WinImage (for Windows) too!

Step 3: Put MicroSD card into adapter then put in the USB reader and insert it into the USB port

Step 4: Write the image on your SD card with WinImage

Step 5: Once done eject the MicroSD card USB reader

Step 6: Reinsert the MicroSD card USB reader

Step 7: Download a CM nightly build from here (I used cm_encore_full-171.zip)

Step 8: Once downloaded Copy it to the boot partition that showed up when you plugged the USB reader back in

Step 9: Then eject the USB Reader and take the MicroSD card insert it into the Nook Color's slot and turn the Nook on.

It will now install the OS. Once you get to the "Desktop" setup the wireless connect. Then turn off.

Step 10: Download gapp (at the bottom of the page) This will install Android Market and Google Apps

Step 11: Take MicroSD card out of Nook and put it into the USB Reader and insert it

Step 12: Copy the gapps file to the boot partition

Step 13: Eject the USB Reader

Step 14: take the MicroSD card insert it into the Nook Color's slot

Step 15: Follow the instructions on how to install them

Try the "boot normally into Android, then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears, In the poweroff menu choose "reboot", in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK". The nook would reboot straight into recovery" method first it is the easiest.

Once installed just follow the set up wizard.

Have fun!

win32diskimager.zip
5863786 bytes
WinImage

generic-sdca···.img.zip
8214142 bytes
Generic SD card image

Booting

Booting

seangprice
join:2002-09-10
Coalville, UT

seangprice

Re: [Mods] Nook Color Into Android Tablet

I've tried this guide several times with an 8bg sandisk class 4 micro sd card and my nook always boots into the regular B&N OS, it never boots from the SD card and goes through the CM7 install.. I'm at a loss =/.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie
Anybody else have success with this?

seangprice
Coalville, UT

1 edit

seangprice

I should add my Nook auto updated to 1.3.0.. do you know if this would have any bearing on the issue?

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

said by seangprice:

I've tried this guide several times with an 8bg sandisk class 4 micro sd card and my nook always boots into the regular B&N OS, it never boots from the SD card and goes through the CM7 install.. I'm at a loss =/.

said by seangprice:

I should add my Nook auto updated to 1.3.0.. do you know if this would have any bearing on the issue?

I updated mine to 1.3.0 before I even tried this mod so it shouldn't be the problem.

Let's start with a fresh card. On Windows 7 go Control Panel\System and Security\Administrative Tools click on Computer Management then select Disk Management from the left side menu. Find your MicroSD card probably listed as removable media or some such name, the first partition will be listed as boot once you find that you will notice the other partitions. Now delete all partitions and then when you have done that make a new partition using the whole card. Then format the card. (See the picture below. The arrows show boot and other partitions)

Then try again.

I tired cm_encore_full-177.zip and it did the same thing to me. That's why I dropped down to using cm_encore_full-171.zip

What Android build did you use?

Click To Enlarge

seangprice
Coalville, UT

seangprice

Tried the process again with the above information but It's still bypassing the SD card. For the initial try last night I used the latest nightly but I also tried 171 and no success. When I format the SD card I assume it has to be FAT32? I have also tried my built in card reader and an external as well.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Do you know how to get into your bootloader? If so, then you can manually set it to load from the SD Card.

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie to seangprice

to seangprice

said by seangprice:

Tried the process again with the above information but It's still bypassing the SD card.

I'm assuming you deleted all partitions and made a new one before formatting.

The process of setting up a MicroSD card to run CM7 is simple.

Use the app WinImage to write the Generic SD card image to the MicroSD card. Eject card. Reinsert card then copy the build you downloaded (cm_encore_full-171.zip ... Do Not Unzip) to the boot partition (see picture below. Do Not UnZip build) and once that is done eject card and put it into Nook.

You can try a stable build which is update-cm-7.0.3-encore-signed.zip but the downside to that is you can't load Android Market.

Also read over The Guide and follow along with him. It's actually a 101 page thread.

I've read over many a guide but the one above is the best.

MicroSD card boot partition

seangprice
Coalville, UT

seangprice

Thanks for posting that image.. after I use winimage to write to the SD card I only see 4 of the 6 files I see on your picture. I'm missing something.. and I'm sure it's simple.

FastEddie

Channel Z

4 edits

FastEddie

That's all you should see.

Here, I wiped a MicroSD card clean and here are a couple of pictures of WinImage writing the generic-sdcard.img to the MicroSD and the end results.

Fresh formatted MicroSD card

WinImage after I selected generic-sdcard.img

WinImage writing generic-sdcard.img to MicroSD

The finished results after I ejected and reinserted MicroSD. Now copy CM7 here.

CM7 copied to boot partition

This is the boot partition after cm_encore_full-171.zip has been installed by Nook.

After Nook install CM7

This is after I install cm_encore_full-177.zip (CM7) and copied gapps-gb-20110613-signed.zip to it. Once that is copied put the MicroSD back in the Nook and start it. Once CM7 has got to its "Desktop" wait a minute or so then push the on/off on the Nook. Select "Reboot" then select "Recovery" This will restart CM7 in the recovery mode and install Google apps and Android Market. Once they are installed you will get a setup Wizard for them once you get to the "Desktop".

Hope this helps

seangprice
Coalville, UT

1 recommendation

seangprice to FastEddie

to FastEddie
Thanks for all the help, I finally got it to work! I'm not quite sure what the exactly was the issue but I'm good to go,

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

I knew you could do it.

Glad you got it done. Now you can have some fun. And don't go too wild at Android Market.

Tel
join:2001-10-12
Mauldin, SC

1 recommendation

Tel to FastEddie

to FastEddie

Re: [Mods] Turn Nook Color To Android Tablet

Thanks FastEddie, just got the nerve to do it using the latest CM and it works great. Now all I have to do is find all my ebooks on my Nook and I'll be good to go.

FastEddie

Channel Z

FastEddie

Cool!

I found out that a 16 GB SanDisk CLASS 4 works real good too.

I started last night and finished up this morning installing everything. It seems peppier. I don't know if that is because it is a fresh install or more room.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie
Not trying to be funny, but other than the challenge of it, why bother changing the Nook to an Amazon tablet? Especially when the amazon kindle fire can be had for $200.

FastEddie

Channel Z

3 recommendations

FastEddie

The Kindle Fire is limited to 8 GB. So that kind of limits you to how many apps/books/pictures/mp3s you can store. Unless you want to use Amazon's cloud service. And I really don't care for Cloud services.

I turneds the Nook from a limited book reader/Net Browser/apps to an Android tablet that now lets me also read Amazon format books I get access to Android Market which has tons more apps than the few B&N has. My storage is now 16GB as opposed to the stock 8GB. There are apps that I can now get that improve they way I can use the Tablet as opposed to the way B&N limited you. And all this cost me less than $200.00.

DaleB
join:2000-10-18
Clovis, CA

1 recommendation

DaleB to FFH5

to FFH5
There are many that prefer the NC to the Fire. I like the Fire mysef, as is. I would likely pick it over the Nook if it were not for the ability to go full Android on the Nook.
That totally sets it apart.

As far as modding goes, there are now at least two suppliers of pre-loaded Micro-SD cards with the Android software that only requires turnng the Nook off, installing the loaded card, letting it boot and install (much faster boot after the initial one), and that's it. Prices range from $30-80 largely dependent on the size of card you get. 8g is minimum and likely good enough for many people.
N2A is one major supplier of the card, and there are a couple of others. Amazon and Newegg sell such cards, among others.

But if you want to save more $$, the procedure Fast Eddie has outlined here should work just fine. Make sure you use a grade 4 or above for the micro SD and follow the steps carefully.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie
I had my NC set so you could dual boot from memory, very handy. I just got my Nook Tablet so if you like the Color you would love the Tablet. The dual core makes all the difference in the world and I am using Go Launcher to load apps. I use the Kindle app.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

I had my NC set so you could dual boot from memory, very handy. I just got my Nook Tablet so if you like the Color you would love the Tablet. The dual core makes all the difference in the world and I am using Go Launcher to load apps. I use the Kindle app.

what method did you use to get where you are?

I had the GO Launcher running but every time you hit the N the nook screen comes back. The Go Launcher only starts on a hard power up.

I reset it and going to try it again.

BN has added a few things that make it more difficult than the color.

Thanks for any info

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I followed this guy. He didn't create the scripts but it was painless. When I press the n button I get the option for Go Launcher or the Home.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· a_player

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Thanks ptrowski See Profile, just watched it. Seems painless

I'll give it a try.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Good luck, it was very easy to do and it is nice to have the option of go launcher or stock.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium Member
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD

KoolMoe to FastEddie

Premium Member

to FastEddie
If i may digress slightly, since there are Nook users here, grandma wants a 'tablet' but I'm sure just a basic one will do - web surfing and emailing...maybe books but that's not something she mentioned.
The $300+ ones aren't worth what she'd use it for, so Fire, Nook, or a cheapie PanDigital/Colby, etc...

What I don't like about the cheapies is they all seem to be stuck on Android 2.x

I'm not a fan of 'tied ecosystems', though the grandma may not care...so Nook or Fire...and I really like what I'm seeing here about the Nook...

SO - by default, before doing this CW mod, the Nook can do web browsing...fully? Or is there a limit?
Can do email...fully? Limited? Decent webmail app?
It's not a dualcore where the Nook Tablet is? Is it generally responsive anyway?

Any overall thoughts appreciated (sorry again for digression)
KM

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

The internal browser is not bad, I also use Dolphin. I would personally go for the Tablet, it is only $50 more and the improvement is worth it. Plus you can take it to a store for help.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

Good luck, it was very easy to do and it is nice to have the option of go launcher or stock.

So far, not good. I had trouble getting my computers to see the Nook as in the video. Finally got my Win 7 64 bit to see it but when I go to change the USB drive it says it's not compatible with 64 bit.

I haven't tried to use it as a Frisbee, yet

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

I had something similar with a Windows 7 laptop, it could not be seen. I used a Vista 64 bit pc and it saw the Nook. What I did was skip the step to show all devices etc when updating the driver and just selected it.