MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Caddyroger

MVM

to Caddyroger

Re: Electrical problems in double-wide trailer

That's a shame. Just giving slum lords more latitude in taking advantage of poor people.
These aren't "travel trailers". These things sit on a pad for years. Hell, they even get strapped down with about 8 turnbuckles to pad. They also remove the wheels.
To me, that says permanent in the eyes of code.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

4 edits

49528867 (banned)

said by nunya:

That's a shame. Just giving slum lords more latitude in taking advantage of poor people.

I can assure you around here trailers do not equate to “poor” people, go through a community down here and you will see a strong presence of middle class professionals living in those trailers.

The reason is simple, during the real estate boom the price of housing became such that that buying a three bedroom site built home would run $450,000 to $600,000 pricing homes out of the reach of the working class, so what happened lots of them moved into “trailer parks” aka communities forcing out the rentals and a lot of the older units, these where middle class workers and professionals new to and priced out of the real estate market, they wanted new homes and the idea of manufactured homes really took hold.

Now lets do the math buy a home for half a mil and pay 3K to 4K a month in mortgage and property taxes, ya ain’t doing that on a phone mans salary, nor with most other middle class earnings.

So on the other hand one could go out and buy a new 1400sf 3/2 manufactured home for $60,000 and drop it on a lot for another $90,000, pull a 125% mortgage on the lot and cover a good chunk of the building cost and siteng fee and pay 1.5K per month.

What would your salary cover?

Furthermore and the best part is, the owner gets to thumb his nose at a handful of AHJ’s because they do not have jurisdiction over his home.

By the way the majority of the units here in Broward are owned by the residents who live in them who own the lots and pay the management company a monthly fee to maintain the common areas.

These things sit on a pad for years. Hell, they even get strapped down with about 8 turnbuckles to pad. They also remove the wheels. To me, that says permanent in the eyes of code.

Then the code is blind or mistaken…

Oh there are way more than eight tie downs per unit.

Wayne

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer

Premium Member

+1 on the demographics in FL - My wife's relatives had a very nice home in a great mobile home development in Naples. They owned the lot. They had a club house, swimming pool, some lots are on canals with docks.

Check out Briny Breezes for the last mobile home community with beachfront property - at one time, a developer offered 510 million for the 500 lots. That deal fell through, but one can still see pressure on Florida communities located in prime real estate.

»maps.google.com/maps?q=B ··· ,,0,5.45
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned) to nunya

to nunya

Hey Nunya Check Out The Hood. ;-)

said by nunya:

I was out and about today and by chance found myself in a real bad part of town, you know a trailer park, and I tell ya it was a real ghetto…

I’ll bet you need a gun to walk around here at night, that's gotta be tough area…

Check out this shotgun shack, I’ll bet they got the wheels laying against the back wall.

You know it a bad neighborhood when they let “plumbers” in the gates.

And of course they do have “smaller” homes for the real poo-folks, you know “trailer-trash”.

Wayne

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

#2 looks like my grandparents place (before it "disappeared"). Sections of the street were actually missing. From a hurricane. How does that happen?
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by nunya:

From a hurricane. How does that happen?

It's called wind, you know that gusty stuff that accompanies hurricanes, and it’s the same force that flattened almost every site built home and a few schools (shelters) in Homestead during Andrew, so it is not just a trailer park phenomena.

Wayne

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Sections of the street itself were gone. The concrete.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by nunya:

That sound like flooding which is another force of nature the building codes cannot override.

Wayne

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor

said by 49528867:

said by nunya:

That sound like flooding which is another force of nature the building codes cannot override.

Well, they actually can by simply prohibiting building in flood zones. Of course, the problem is that lots of homes already exist there, and we occasionally have record breaking floods that no one could foresee.