CplEstesUSMC

join:2005-02-16
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Southeast
·AT&T U-Verse

Fiber Project for a Church (newb)

I'm goggling fiber termination kits online and getting everything from an eclipse fiber termination kit for $140 on ebay to a $1000 kit on newegg.com.

The project is for a short (1000 feet 300M) multimode fiber run using .50/.125 fiber perhaps using LC connectors. I'm paying for the gear myself and not charging the church, the church will pay for the fiber and connectors so I was going to use this as a learning experience. I do not want to use the pre-fabbed gel connecters as I want to learn how to do this the hard way. I’m looking for opinions on equipment (paladin vs greenlee vs eclipse etc.)

All suggestions, experiences, opinions are welcome. I will not be doing this for a living I just want to have the tools and the know-how to do a good job.

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5

Any type of termination is going to require special tools. Even using the 1 click belden brilliance lc connectors requires fiber coating strippers. You will need a fan out kit if you are using loose tube fiber.

ST connections will require a stripper plus crimper and polish kit.

If you dont need 1gb speeds you may want to consider looking into just running cat5 and get some kind of ethernet extender such as »www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-100M···02CLKFTG.

If your really set on fiber i would go the first route i mentioned, it will be the cheapest.

CplEstesUSMC

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Southeast
·AT&T U-Verse

said by cooldude9919:

If you dont need 1gb speeds you may want to consider looking into just running cat5 and get some kind of ethernet extender such as »www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-100M···02CLKFTG.

Yeah we are already using direct bury cat5, the shielding is properly grounded but switches keep frying during lightning storms. So we're going to run some fiber.

I know I'm going to have to fork up some $$$ for tools but I was looking for opinions on kits, brands etc.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to CplEstesUSMC

My suggestion would be to purchase the appropriate pigtail and a mechanical splice like the corning camsplice or 3m fibrlok.

Or better yet find someone to fusion splice the pigtail on for you.

My other suggestion is to use single mode unless you absolutely need to use multimode.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

CplEstesUSMC

Douglasville, GA

I'm curious, if productivity is not an issue, then why not use the epoxy method?. And if I use singlemode, won't I burn out the the SFPs on a 150 meter run ?

cablegeek01

join:2003-05-13
USA
kudos:1

You can do the epoxy method, but the pigtail/mechanical splice method is quicker and more common. (in the CATV world, you usually get pre-terminated ends and fusion splice the cables together, but that splicer aint cheap)
You could also use single mode, but the LX optics are generally more expensive. They are usually designed so that if you use the same make/model you can get by without any padding and not burn out the receiver, but I would insert 5dB pads at both ends just to be sure.
Another argument against SM fiber would be that it's smaller and harder to work with than MM fiber.

markp4289

join:2007-03-08
Wadsworth, OH
reply to CplEstesUSMC

You really should look at pre-terminated fiber. I have installed hundreds of runs and its faster to install Corning Plug and Play fiber. It will take you too long and cost too much to get the results you need for the connectors. Once you get it connected you then need to test it. Do you have access to an OTDR or a fiber power meter?

CplEstesUSMC

Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Southeast
·AT&T U-Verse

I have access no neither, you mentioned cost too much to get the results on the connectors. What did you mean ? Did youtube make it look too easy? I'm not concerned with the amount of time, I was going to use this as a learning experience and wanted to do this the hard way.
But anyway, when you say the corning plug in play, are you talking about the unicam connectors ?

bottleworks

@embarqhsd.net

From my research into this, "deep surplus" (google them) seems to have the best price on fiber, connectors, and tools. They can't help you on the know how.... Good luck!

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to CplEstesUSMC

said by CplEstesUSMC:

I'm curious, if productivity is not an issue, then why not use the epoxy method?. And if I use singlemode, won't I burn out the the SFPs on a 150 meter run ?

There is nothing wrong with that method - only it's easier to mess up.
With the appropriate optics - no you will not burn up the optics. Again, it is a suggestion - MM inside the building - SM when you leave the building. Read the specifications on the optics, they will tell you the launch power and the maximum/minimum receive levels.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!