how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Pharaoh11

join:2011-02-01
Toronto, ON

Cable modem list quite abit smaller now

Only seven modems on the list now and it looks like docsis 2 modems are getting phased out.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS :

Most recently, the specification was revised to significantly increase transmissions speeds (this time both upstream and downstream) and introduce support for Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6). This version, DOCSIS 3.0, was released in August 2006.

Likely part of the reasons has to do with IPv6 being rolled out these days just about everywheres. Though this isn't the sole reason though. However, I'm sure it figgures in there somewheres.

I for one applaud the change.
--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.
------
Motorola SurfBoard 6120 | Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON
reply to Pharaoh11
There was a post a few days ago like this and the same mistake was made.
Although they shortened the list of approved modems, three of the modems are still DOCSIS 2, therefore we can assume at least for now that DOCSIS 2 is not being phased out yet...

DOCSIS 2 Modems still approved for TSI:
Joohong SL-2810 - 10.2.7
Motorola SB5101N - 2.1.7.0-GA-00-388
Thomson/RCA DCM425

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
said by the cerberus:

There was a post a few days ago like this and the same mistake was made.
Although they shortened the list of approved modems, three of the modems are still DOCSIS 2, therefore we can assume at least for now that DOCSIS 2 is not being phased out yet...

DOCSIS 2 Modems still approved for TSI:
Joohong SL-2810 - 10.2.7
Thomson/RCA DCM425

No mistake was made.

When you go from alot of docsis 2 modems to down to just three it basically says there's a reason behind it.

In this case its not to hard to guess why.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON
Not really, they should remove ALL the docsis 2 modems if they want to phase it out.
So for RIGHT NOW, it is NOT being phased out yet.

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
said by the cerberus:

Not really, they should remove ALL the docsis 2 modems if they want to phase it out.
So for RIGHT NOW, it is NOT being phased out yet.

You clearly don't understand the term phased out .
(To bring or come to an end, one stage at a time.)

It doesn't me suddenly stop its means you do it gradually over time.
You have to secure suppliers for the new modems and you still have docis 2 users.
Its not like everything suddenly going to get upgraded and they wont work.

That's not the way technologically or business works.

Not to mention if you read the other threads here you know that the shift to the newer cable speeds is happening and that they require docsis 3.

So its kind of clear whats happening and well continue happening over a period of time.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON
Not really, they need to get everyone currently on docsis 2 upgraded to docsis 3 if they want to phase out d2.
They should stop accepting d2 modems if this is happening, and start getting people to upgrade.
Since they are still allowing new customers to sign up with d2 modems, and even allowing the speed bump on d2, they arent really that close to phasing out d2.
You really like to argue though, even when you are wrong.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to Pharaoh11
As I said in the other post....
Here is the text from the reseller portal about this change:

Please note that the following modems are the only ones available for use for the time being: • List of Approved Modems o Joohong SL-2810 - 10.2.7 o Motorola SB5101N - 2.1.7.0-GA-00-388 o Motorola SB6120 - 1.0.6.1 o Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1 o SMC 3DGN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES o Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16

So, it looks temporary, which is something, and at least it was announced some places :P
Any speculation about phasing out D2 modems seems extraordinarily premature.

evil_gusgus

join:2008-04-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to Pharaoh11
Well Rogers customers on D2 arn't getting the 10-12M upgrade, and if wholesale customers want any faster tiers they need to but a new modem. Also with the higher upload speeds and the need for channel bonding and IPv6 it seems like the right move.

the cerberus

Richmond Hill, ON
I'm not saying the d2 phase out wont come eventually, but right now they ARE speed bumping d2 modems.
I'm not sure where you get your info from, some rogers retail reps are a big pain, and like to lie to get you to buy their modem.
Right now the list of approved modems is pretty much 50/50 d2/d3.

DOCSIS 2 Modems for TSI:
Joohong SL-2810 - 10.2.7
Thomson/RCA DCM425

DOCSIS 3 Modems for TSI:
Motorola SB6120/1 - 1.0.6.1
SMC 3DGN-RES - 1.4.0.40-RES
Thomson DCM 475 - STAC.02.16

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
reply to evil_gusgus
It is all about relative price, isn't it.. If you can pick up a D2 modem for 1/3rd the price of a D3, or maybe even less, it makes sense. If you are paying more than 2/3rds the price of a D3, it doesn't make sense.

neuromancer1

join:2007-01-22
York, ON
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by Teddy Boom:

It is all about relative price, isn't it.. If you can pick up a D2 modem for 1/3rd the price of a D3, or maybe even less, it makes sense. If you are paying more than 2/3rds the price of a D3, it doesn't make sense.

D3 modems are priced to high no way I'm going $100+ for modem which is why I bought D2 modem for around $69 but then again I'm on express and would never pay the price for TSI Extreme service monthly.

Pharaoh11

Toronto, ON
reply to Pharaoh11
Most of rogers is a big pain and i think we all agree to that.

Now things are being phased out but i think people are getting a little confused on the time.
Its going to be over quite a lengthy period that they do get phased out and not a case of mere months.

Its been going on with rogers for some time already and they rarely do anything quickly, unless its billing you.

Teksavvy well be quick to change over then rogers do to its smaller user base but it still going to take time.