uniqs

Lescarlson
@50.107.33.x

Lescarlson to wayjac

Anon

to wayjac

Re: Speedstream 5200 bridge mode ?

said by wayjac:

The router's wan connection should be set to dynamic when you first connect it to the speedstream

I finally got the ippassthru to work. But, it didn't help with the ftp server in my NAS. Then I tried the DMZ option and it too made no difference. I hope Frontiernet ISP is not doing anything to block FTP servers. I can access the Frontiernet FTP server where I keep some backup files, but the FTP server I am trying to host here behind the 5200 will respond from a WAN connection.

I did though learn a bit about network connections and I am grateful for your help here.
Thanks,
Les Carlson
YogiB
join:2010-08-18
Montreal, QC

YogiB

Putting the router in the modem's DMZ is only part of the deal. The DMZ only makes the modem invisible for traffic coming from the internet and will be directly sent to the router's WAN port. Before traffic can go to the NAS' FTP server, it has to pass the firewall of your router. Just set-up a port forward for TCP port 21 to your NAS' local IP address (extra advice: give the NAS either a static IP address or a static DHCP lease, so the address can't change, so the port forward can't suddenly go bad).

Before you do this, make sure your NAS is properly secured with a good username and password. Even better (depending if your router's firmware can do this): pick a non-standard outside port for the port forwarding and forward this to port 21 on your NAS. Something like port 45603 (just do something totally random, as long as you can remember it). Everytime you want to reach your FTP server, you can access it by:
»ftp://123.456.78.9:45603
(The '123.456.78.9' you need to replace by your public IP address of course.)

The best thing would be that you have a static IP address from your ISP, otherwise you'll change IP every day and you have no clue how to log on if you don't have somebody at home to check your IP address.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to Lescarlson

MVM

to Lescarlson
said by Lescarlson :

I hope Frontiernet ISP is not doing anything to block FTP servers

Checking this out is easy and quick

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Lescarlson

Premium Member

to Lescarlson
said by Lescarlson :

I tried the DMZ option and it too made no difference. I hope Frontiernet ISP is not doing anything to block FTP servers. I can access the Frontiernet FTP server where I keep some backup files, but the FTP server I am trying to host here behind the 5200 will respond from a WAN connection.

Looks like they do block as they do clearly have personal servers on your PC prohibited to serve files publicly (in other words to the outside world, you can use it on your personal LAN, just not out over the WAN side.). As you know, you have a Public FTP server that is owned by Frontier and that's your only current option.

»www.frontier.com/policie ··· ial_aup/
quote:
The World Wide Web and FTP

The web space and public FTP space included with a dialup or DSL account may not be resold or used for adult-oriented material. We reserve the right to require that sites using such Web or FTP space which receive high amounts of traffic be moved to other servers. Web pages and FTP files may not contain any material, text, or images, whether hosted on our servers or "transclusioned" (images from another site displayed on the page) which violate or infringe any copyright, trademark, patent, statutory, common law, or proprietary rights of others. Web pages and FTP files may not contain links that initiate downloads of copyright-infringing or other illegal material. Those who believe users of our services are infringing their copyrights must submit their complaints in writing to our Designated Agent to Receive Notifications of Claimed Infringement, Gregg Sayre, dmca@frontier.com, Frontier, 180 S. Clinton St., Rochester, NY 14646, 585-777-7270, 585-263-9986 fax.

Servers, Proxies, and Networks

Users may not run any program which makes a service or resource available to others, including but not limited to port redirectors, proxy servers, chat servers, MUDs, file servers, and IRC bots. Users may not run such programs on their own machines to make such services or resources available to others through one of our dialup or DSL accounts; a dedicated access account is required for such purposes. Customers are responsible for the security of their own networks and machines. We will assume neither responsibility nor accountability for failures or breach of customer-imposed protective measures, whether implied or actual. Abuse that occurs as a result of a compromised customer's system or account may result in suspension of services or account access.