join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

1 edit

Outgoing calls?

I haven't seen any capability for GV to place outgoing calls.
Can you explain how you are able to do that?
Never mind, after reading the directions for setting up the Obi device I noticed that you have to configure GV on the obitalk.com web site so it's not really calling through GV directly but using obitalk.com as a sip client to forward calls to GV. I wonder if there is any way to get it to call GV directly cause the Obi device will be non-functional if Obi ever goes bust?

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by ArizonaSteve:

I haven't seen any capability for GV to place outgoing calls.
Can you explain how you are able to do that?
Never mind, after reading the directions for setting up the Obi device I noticed that you have to configure GV on the obitalk.com web site so it's not really calling through GV directly but using obitalk.com as a sip client to forward calls to GV. I wonder if there is any way to get it to call GV directly cause the Obi device will be non-functional if Obi ever goes bust?

I think you can configure the ObiTalk device locally (and not use the OBI website). Google Voice doesn't passwords don't have to be provided to OBI IIRC.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·CenturyLink
·T-Mobile US

On Voxilla there are directions for setting up the Obi device locally. However they say to set SignalingProtocol to “Google Voice” and other devices don't have that option or Gtalk so I guess you can't use a Cisco phone, SunRocket box or other device with GV.
»voxilla.com/2011/01/24/how-to-us···ree-2512

pandora
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

said by ArizonaSteve:

On Voxilla there are directions for setting up the Obi device locally. However they say to set SignalingProtocol to “Google Voice” and other devices don't have that option or Gtalk so I guess you can't use a Cisco phone, SunRocket box or other device with GV.
»voxilla.com/2011/01/24/how-to-us···ree-2512

My understanding is you can establish an application specific password for your google voice account. The password will only work with that application.

To see how to do this, visit »www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=742.0

The accounts I'm using are junk accounts (at this time). Later, if GV charges, I may look into this more.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
« Replacement