uniqs
« UpgradesMississauga Line quality test? »
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 7 · 8 · 9 · next
cyc66
join:2007-09-16
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

[Cable] 1mbps cable in Kitchener

Guys, this is totally ridiculous. I understand that Rogers delays upgrading POI links but it's up to you (Teksavvy) to avoid oversubscribing. Sure, you shut down sign ups in Kitchener, but it's clearly too little, too late as it's 5:30pm and speeds have reached a new low of 1mbps!

Taylortbb
Premium Member
join:2007-02-18
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb

Premium Member

said by cyc66:

Guys, this is totally ridiculous. I understand that Rogers delays upgrading POI links but it's up to you (Teksavvy) to avoid oversubscribing. Sure, you shut down sign ups in Kitchener, but it's clearly too little, too late as it's 5:30pm and speeds have reached a new low of 1mbps!

Rogers upgraded everyone to 24Mb/s from 15Mb/s without doing the link upgrade that was supposed to happen, that's what pushed it over the edge, not signups.

That being said, there's more than that in your case. I'm still getting at least 10Mb/s during peak periods.

anonvmvsc0w
@teksavvy.com

anonvmvsc0w

Anon

Yeah I just ran a test from Waterloo at 6:30 and got ~30Mb/s.
smhpro123
join:2010-02-07
canada

smhpro123 to Taylortbb

to Taylortbb
If you're supposed to be getting 15 Mb/s, then I wouldn't be satisfied with a 33% drop in speed.

Taylortbb
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb

Premium Member

said by smhpro123:

If you're supposed to be getting 15 Mb/s, then I wouldn't be satisfied with a 33% drop in speed.

I'm not too happy about it, but it doesn't affect any essential uses of my connection and it should only last a couple weeks. If it drops below 4Mb/s and I start having issues with streaming video then I'll be really annoyed, but for now I can deal. Getting angry wont get it fixed any faster.
darryldale
join:2010-12-29
Cambridge, ON

darryldale to cyc66

to cyc66
Agreed. The nightly slowdown has only gotten worse the last week and slowly approaching unbearable.

It's 7:50PM and just got this:

Totally ridiculous. If it keeps up for much longer I might have to tuck my tail between my legs and go back to Rogers and take advantage of their 50% off for 6 months special if you sign a year contract. I've also got to spend the next year apologizing to the half dozen people I convinced to switch to Teksavvy. Trust me there definitely aren't any more recommendations coming from me.

Darryl
darryldale

darryldale

The only saving grace is that speed is OK during the day. I work from home and if the speed even shows a slight hint of slowing down during the day I'll melt the keys off my phone I'll be dialing Teksavvy to cancel so fast.

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB to cyc66

Premium Member

to cyc66
Just ran a test, and while it's slower than normal, it's still usable

I didn't even notice the slowdown, but I'm not downloading/watching videos tonight (and I had much worse speeds when I had DSL that's probably why I didn't notice.)

I'm over by Grand River Hospital.
dcorreia
join:2003-08-08
Mississauga, ON

dcorreia to cyc66

to cyc66
I think the OP has some underlying problem with his router or cable connection. I recommend checking all QoS settings, ensuring Wi-Fi is secure and checking current bandwidth utilization on the router in case something is using the connection and you are not aware of.
cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

No, unfortunately, everything is working correctly.
alpovs
join:2009-08-08

alpovs to cyc66

to cyc66
In Waterloo I have the same problem as the OP:

I get normal speeds early in the morning. It's been for a while but got much worse when students moved in. I left Yak because of nightly slowdowns but history repeats...

BGB
Wants moar interwebz
Premium Member
join:2009-07-09
Waterloo, ON

BGB

Premium Member

It could be local congestion then... What neighborhood are you in? A lot of university students live nearby?
darryldale
join:2010-12-29
Cambridge, ON

darryldale to cyc66

to cyc66
I'm up in Cambridge (Hespeler) just off the 401. Doubt very much I have very many students around me and for the last couple days the speeds during the evening are horrible (see speedtest above).

Darryl
cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

I keep thinking it's local congestion but then people point out that it's unlikely with Docsis 3. I do live in an area with some students but I think it's the Kitchener POI service area that may be affected.

Taylortbb
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Taylortbb

Premium Member

said by cyc66:

I keep thinking it's local congestion but then people point out that it's unlikely with Docsis 3. I do live in an area with some students but I think it's the Kitchener POI service area that may be affected.

Kitchener POI service is affected, the good news is we have a reasonably firm date of September 22nd for the upgrade. »Re: General Update

In your case however your speeds are much lower than just what can be attributed to the POI link. While local node congestion on DOCSIS 3.0 is unlikely, it is still possible. If you're absolutely sure you've checked everything then you may need to consider it. The test will be what happens after next week.
cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

Yeah, I've been following that thread and I'm waiting for the new link before I complain further. Daytime speeds are normal and I've tested on multiple systems so I'm pretty sure the issue isn't on my side.
defiantxx
join:2006-09-06

defiantxx to cyc66

to cyc66
I'm located near Huron and Strasburg Rd and I am also getting extremely poor speeds (compared to normal).

cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

Another night of poor speeds. It started slowing down gradually around 2:30PM.

va3tng
Premium Member
join:2011-09-13
Waterloo, ON

va3tng to cyc66

Premium Member

to cyc66
I have been seeing the same thing for about the last 5 nights. By 6pm or so the best speed I can get is ~1Mbs.

It's just past 3:30 and I am already down to 1.5Mbs.

cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

Speeds have been normal today so far. I'm not sure if anything has changed but here's hoping it's fixed. The real test will be from 9-11pm!

va3tng
Premium Member
join:2011-09-13
Waterloo, ON

va3tng to cyc66

Premium Member

to cyc66
I have also been seeing much better speeds today. If I stay above 10Mbs tonight I'll be happy.

cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

I briefly went below 10 for some time but now it's back to full speed.
aver
join:2007-12-03
Kitchener, ON

aver

Mine seems to be slow around peak times. But right now I'm steady at 2.8 MB/s download.
smhpro123
join:2010-02-07
canada

smhpro123 to cyc66

to cyc66
I've been getting great speeds in the last few days. Funny thing is, it starts to slow down to 5 Mbps after 11 pm? Strange.
cyc66
Kitchener, ON

cyc66

Pretty slow today!
zinc
Premium Member
join:2004-02-17
Kitchener, ON

zinc

Premium Member

I get speed drops nightly as well, but nothing close to 1 Mbps. I'm north of 401/Homer Watson (and have 24/1).

jb2
@teksavvy.com

jb2

Anon

Slow for me tonight too, around 2/1 Mbit right now. Was quicker earlier today.

johnboy105
join:2008-11-27
Kitchener, ON

johnboy105

Mine sucks as well...

Posting on the direct forum momentarily...

TSI SteveO
TSI SteveO
Premium Member
join:2009-01-26
Chatham, ON
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT502
Asus RT-N16

TSI SteveO to cyc66

Premium Member

to cyc66
Hey Guys. There have been several reports of slow speeds on the Kitchener POI, and it IS one of the POI's scheduled for upgrade soon. If you are experiencing speed related issues that do NOT appear to be congestion (slow at all times, or with specific programs/services), please make a post in the direct forum, as it will need to be investigated. If however, your speed issues appear to be congestion related, it should be alleviated within the next week or two, when the upgrades are complete.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24

damir52 to cyc66

Premium Member

to cyc66
SteveO, any update on this?