spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stevenros

join:2011-09-13

[OS X] How to get rid of Slow Mac Lion Slow Mac OS X 10.7

I have recently switched from Mac OS X 10.6 to Mac Lion. Since then I am experiencing a Slow Mac performance. I don't know the exact reason behind it but tried to speed up my Mac by deleting caches, temp files etc.

Please let me know more solutions to Slow Mac.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

What are your specs? What exactly do you mean by slow mac? You mean slot boot? Beaching balling Safari? Have you booted into recovery and used disk utility to 'repair disk' and 'repair permissions'? Have you reset your PRAM and SMC?

Do those things outlined above, it might take care of Slow Mac.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

+1....I agree with J E F F 100%. I saw an increase in speed when I upgraded to Lion. If I seem to slow down, I run Disk Utility and repair permissions. When I make major changes to the OS, I run OnyX. at »www.macupdate.com/app/mac/11582/onyx That always seems to help. That is my opinion.

If all else fails, I would do a fresh install of Lion. There are a few ways to do it by searching this forum. Of course if you chose this route, back everything up first. But I'm sure you know that.
--
Obama in 2012.....No More TeaBaggers!

stevenros

reply to J E F F

Thanks JEFF

My Mac has 320 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, 2.4 GHz Intel Core2Duo Processor. Yes, I have tried your suggestions but these didn't work.

Actually I work with media files and need to handle large files, play audio/ Video, modify them randomly and save them at different locations. My Mac Lion takes too much of time to start my applications.

I think I have made all the things clear. Your opinion please....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

The RAM is going to kill it. Upgrade to at least 4GB, if not 8GB (if your Mac can support it - might max out at 4 or 6 GB).

I've noticed Lion on my MacBook Pro C2D handles multiple apps much worse than Snow Leopard (it "feels" a lot slower). I have 3GB of RAM.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Youngjm

join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI
reply to stevenros

I booted into Safe mode by holding the shift key on startup then rebooting normally. That has helped. I just did this yesterday.

I would also rebuild your spotlight index. I did this via the Settings. I added my hard drive to the exclude list. Closed the settings. then went back in and removed the exclusion.

I have a MacBook 5,1 late 2008 Aluminum 2.0Ghz with 4GB or memory and 320GB 7200 RPM WD Hard Drive.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to stevenros

Well, several things.

1. Thinkdiff has a good idea about upgrading RAM.

Here are some other thoughts:

2. Disable the local time machine backups (also called snapshots). Lion saves any file changes to your local drive so you can use Time Machine even if your external drive isn't connected. While they claim it doesn't slow things down, it might very well, especially when working on a large file. To disable local backups, do this:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

3. Secondly, if you feel comfortable about it, you could also disable the sleep image. (Sleep image is needed for when your battery goes dead)

I do get the feeling that both those things go bog the machine down a little, especially when working on large files.

4. You may also want to check your activity monitor for any rogue program that might be taking up too much CPU usage. I had an issue with a program once that basically was running a background service that added 10 to my system temp and spinning the HD constantly. Promptly removed, issue solved.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

AlexNYC

join:2001-06-02
Edwards, CO
reply to stevenros

Please note that immediately after the Lion install the system will do indexing and all kinds of other fun stuff that sap your computer's power and make it seem like it is slow.

Just let it do its thing for a few hours and it will get better.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
reply to stevenros

My problem is usually Safari based (yeah, I know, use Firefox...I used it for years, but, I want to use Safari).
It hangs (beachball) usually when Facebook/Scrabble (Flash, yes, it's up to date) is loaded, but it hung with gmail yesterday, so it's not specific to one site, nor is it always problematic.
I usually fire up Activity Monitor and try to see what's overloading the system, but it doesn't specify anything specific, beyond Safari.
I have 2.5GB on a late 2008 Macbook and don't have a lot of intensive programs (Virtual Box with Windows) running when not needed.

stevenros

reply to J E F F

May be u are right. But if u look at »www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html its recommended by Apple it self that 2GB RAM is sufficient for Mac Lion.

Do you have any other solution please. Please mind the investment part of suggestion

lunarPlexus
Nothin' Up Muh Sleeve
Premium
join:2003-02-08
Chicago, IL

said by stevenros:

May be u are right. But if u look at »www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html its recommended by Apple it self that 2GB RAM is sufficient for Mac Lion.

Do you have any other solution please. Please mind the investment part of suggestion

Well, it is "sufficient" in that your system does run, right? You say you are editing large media files. That is generally a use case where more RAM is indicated. 2 gigs of RAM, or even 4, is not going to set you back all that much.

landothedave

join:2006-11-03
Everett, WA
reply to stevenros

Im shocked that with 2gig of Ram that any version of OS X was not slow. Apples minimum spec is 2Gb.. that is for the OS to run. Ad in your large media files and the software you are editing with and all of a sudden that 2Gb is not enough. My MBP is maxed out with Ram for the sake of the only apps i really use on it are Final Cut/After Effects/Photoshop. Seriously buy more ram.
Also repair your permissions and follow the other advice Jeff offered.

Expand your moderator at work

myosh

join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

1 recommendation

reply to stevenros

Re: [OS X] How to get rid of Slow Mac Lion Slow Mac OS X 10.7

said by stevenros:

I'm surprised no one else has suggested this... how about going back to Snow Leopard (10.6)? This would be especially true if things ran fine under 10.6 and you don't want to pony up the $60 for an 8 GB memory upgrade.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to stevenros

I made my post early on in the game, thinking it was a software issue, before I knew your Mac specs. It would seem that you have the minimum requirements just to RUN Lion. To have it run well, I would put the maximum amount of RAM in your Machine (as was stated above, either 6 or 8 GB).

I have 2 iMacs running Lion, both maxed out with RAM for better performance.
--
Obama in 2012.....No More TeaBaggers!

VanDivX

join:2003-07-22
Toronto, ON
reply to stevenros

It maxes out at 4GB and I'd recommend it, even more (and first) I'd recommend changing HD to SSD - you can find ok prices on 60GB if you look for (frequent) price drops.
MacBook Pro 15" with original 120GB HD 5400 rpm HD was booting 70 to 75 seconds, now with SSD its under 25 seconds and apps are launching fast, nevermind its shockproof and uses less power (longer battery lifetime...) The SSD gave the macbook new lease on life really.

Also to offset the investment you can get some cheap external HD enclosure and use your orig HD for DATA (also keep your old data on it in the first place while you install clean Lion on the new HD - 9.99 GB fresh install which means you could get away with even 30 or 40 GB SSD to make it really cheap but still very much worthwhile)

stevenros

reply to lordpuffer

Thanks for reply,

From the above discussions it seems that I need to go for RAM upgrade (may be 8 GB). But from learnings I also knew that while dealing with large files we create so much of temp data which eats too much of free space in HD. Timely removal of such useless data can save free space for applications and ultimately help to enhance Mac speed. These files can be removed with crap remover.

Now, I have two options to resolve the issue. Let me see which one is feasible and affordable..

Will be back soon.....

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

Free disk space has a minimal impact on performance unless you're extremely low on space (less than 10% of total size). RAM plays a much larger role.
--

TwighlightLA
Premium
join:2010-07-03
reply to stevenros

I will with qualification agree with the more RAM advice. I say qualification because there is no GUARANTEE that your problem is solely RAM and perhaps part of the problem lies in some of the other areas. But I am confident in saying that in general for all Macs OS X Lion 2 GB may be "sufficient" but its not "adequate or acceptable." RAM is HP and you are short on HP at 2 GB IMO.

stevenros

Thanks for reply ,

Ok, now I understand that upgrading RAM is a solution. But, can u please help me to save some dollars.

Mac defragmentation can help me synchronize my large files and thus lower down the read/write time for OS. I think it may be a solution. Whats your opinion ?

TwighlightLA
Premium

1 edit

said by stevenros:

Ok, now I understand that upgrading RAM is a solution. But, can u please help me to save some dollars.

Mac defragmentation can help me synchronize my large files and thus lower down the read/write time for OS. I think it may be a solution. Whats your opinion ?

The truth is I don't feel sufficiently sophisticated regarding the intricacies of the Mac to give you an informed opinion on your question. After using for 15 years I switched from using PCs and Window about one year ago. So in that year I've been learning the Mac as I use it without any documented help or books. Perhaps others can give you a specific answer.

I would speculate, and its only speculation that RAM is the ticket and that other fixes like what you ask about is like saying you don't have enough HP (RAM) but rather than add more HP (RAM) instead you are just going to get a tune up and maybe run a better grade of gasoline. It will help but if my analogy is correct than its still woefully short of the major problem and only true long term solution--more RAM.

modelamac

join:2002-04-13
Waterford, MI
reply to stevenros

You need minimum of 4 GB RAM, and 8GB would set you free. It cured my problem with my 2011 i7 MBP slowing down after rendering DVDs of iMovies.

TwighlightLA
Premium

said by modelamac:

You need minimum of 4 GB RAM, and 8GB would set you free. It cured my problem with my 2011 i7 MBP slowing down after rendering DVDs of iMovies.

ADDENDUM:

I just realized that in the cost of buying to RAM you possibly might be looking at Apple's prices for their RAM. That RAM is way more expensive than Mac compatible quality RAM.

RAM from those reputable vendors is way cheaper than Apple's.

Toppil
Premium
join:2000-12-30
reply to stevenros

I learned this morning that with Safari on Lion, AdBlock was the culprit of all my problems. Uninstalled it and the hanging and performance problems went away.
--
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."-Mitch Ratliffe

stevenros

I found no defrag tool from Apple but I got a third party Mac defrag application from Stellar. I defragged all the volumes and can see a slight improvement in Mac performance. But, I think I need to defrag the disk weekly since, I work with large files and they are more prone to get fragmented.

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
Bronx, NY

said by stevenros:

I found no defrag tool from Apple but I got a third party Mac defrag application from Stellar. I defragged all the volumes and can see a slight improvement in Mac performance. But, I think I need to defrag the disk weekly since, I work with large files and they are more prone to get fragmented.

A Mac's hard drive should not need to be defragmented weekly - it will just put unnecessary stress on the disk. OS X / HFS does a decent job of handling fragmentation on its own. For the vast majority of people, defragmenting is never necessary.

If you have more than ~10% of your total disk space free, fragmentation won't slow you down too much. RAM is the biggest factor (as has been mentioned time and time again). RAM is relatively inexpensive right now.
--

haroldo

united state

said by Thinkdiff:

.... RAM is the biggest factor (as has been mentioned time and time again). RAM is relatively inexpensive right now.

Upgraded from 2.5GB to 4GB and uninstalled Ad Block yet still have the occasional Safari freeze.

heavyduty

join:2008-03-26
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

YMMV, but here's what helps me get rid of the Safari beach ball and disk thrashing:

Safari creates and maintains a SafeBrowsing.db in a persistent location on your main OS volume for each user and it lies outside of your home directory. Sorry for not having a nice GUI way for you to do this but try:

1. quit safari
2. in Terminal.app window issue this command:

rm $TMPDIR/../C/com.apple.Safari/SafeBrowsing.db

The problem is over time this file (it's a SQLite file) gets completely fragmented. And when Safari starts up and reads the file, it starts to read it 4096 bytes at a time and causes (according to my last debug session) about 10,000 disk seeks. Assuming you get 150 iops that's over a minute of pure hdd thrashing.

Removing the file is ok. It will be re-created by Safari automatically, and be "less fragmented".

Hope this helps.

haroldo

united state

Thanks! I'll try it later on tonight.
Is the two dots in line 1 what you typed, or is that the indication of the user name? Tell me exactly what to type.

heavyduty

join:2008-03-26
Brampton, ON

1 recommendation

said by haroldo:

Thanks! I'll try it later on tonight.
Is the two dots in line 1 what you typed, or is that the indication of the user name? Tell me exactly what to type.

Cut-n-paste the line. It's exactly what is needed to delete the fragmented file.