spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

tommy2010

@sbcglobal.net

Drop Land Line & Keep DSL

In the last 6 months AT&T has raised my monthly bill $11.24. Is there anyway I can drop my AT&T Land Line and still keep AT&T's DSL? Thank you.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Click for full size
Dry ADSL may be available in your area, although in some areas they are requiring new installations to be done using VDSL or IP-DSLAM.

Go online, see what they say, and then call them and ask which plan is which technology. If you're lucky, somebody there might know. What I found was that the $75 modem was IP-DSLAM and not available to me, despite what the website said, and I could only get the $100 modem, which is UVerse VDSL.

Did you look on the website under "Internet without a phone line"?

tommy2010

@sbcglobal.net
reply to tommy2010

Thank you. I will do as you suggest.

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest
reply to tommy2010

said by tommy2010 :

In the last 6 months AT&T has raised my monthly bill $11.24. Is there anyway I can drop my AT&T Land Line and still keep AT&T's DSL? Thank you.

Call them and threaten to cancel your land line service. They'll lower the price. We were paying almost $50, and it went down to $30 with every bell and whistle they offer including inside wire maintenance.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by dmxrob6:

Call them and threaten to cancel your land line service. They'll lower the price. We were paying almost $50, and it went down to $30 with every bell and whistle they offer including inside wire maintenance.

Here I think POTS is still regulated so they can't offer deals on the lowest tier of services, although they can sell you Caller ID, wire maintenance, etc. for nothing if they want.

Just a few years ago, the "Local Line" portion of my bill was less than $10. Now it's $18.

This is what I pay:
$18.00 Local Line
$5.10 Federal Access Charge

$0.18 911
$0.73 Federal USF
$0.61 State USF
$0.75 Police & Fire

$0.72 Federal 3% Tax
$1.22 State 5% Tax
$0.12 County 0.5% Tax
$0.02 Stadium 0.1% Tax

$27.49 Total
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

dmxrob6
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Boonville, MO
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

Doubt you will get it much lower than that; but you should be able to get them to throw in all the "extras" for free if you push them.

I just checked, and we pay $32.33 total for our home phone, and that includes all the options and inside maintenance.

ebone

join:2002-03-06
Davis, CA
reply to tommy2010

said by tommy2010 :

I would only choose to sign up for dry loop dsl as a last resort. We've had att direct (dry loop) for the last 6 months and it has been a constant trial. We've had att dsl for over 2 years but changed to a dry loop 6 months ago and that's when the constant battery of issues began... and I now know all of the att techs in the area on a first name basis. I might be the exception, but dry loop dsl has been a complete nightmare - constant modem sync drops and/or speed issues - if it's not one it's the other. I would gladly give an isp the money we are saving through our VOIP, to receive a stable internet connection once again, i just don't want that isp to be att, again. Good luck in your pursuit.