share rss forum feed

gigahurtz
Premium
join:2001-10-20
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

Updates on NFL Network Discussions

I know it's been talked about off and on but as a Brighthouse customer for quite some time, I am really just ready for all this nonsense to come to an end. I understand where both parties are coming from and I understand why Brighthouse is taking a stand.

My only question is: how has every other major TV provider been able to strike up a deal without any major increase (at least one that has been known publicly) yet BHN/TW can't? I hear of increases each year due to one channel or another, most of which I can care less about but I still pay for happily.

I really hope this comes to an end soon

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:139

3 edits

Gigahurtz it could come to an end quickly IF the NFL would agree to a simple condition and that is to allow the channel to be tiered and those who want it pay for it and those who don't pay nothing. The NFL refuses to budge on this issue therefore it is the NFL and their cash grabby mindset that is causing the hangup. If I were you I would focus your anger and efforts towards the NFL and not TWC or BHN.

For years now the cry from many customers is that THEY want choices especially as it applies to programming and how it's delivered to them. They don't want to pay for things they don't watch and when providers listen and start moving in that direction even in the most limited of ways there is always that group of customers that get a bit upset and programmers are quick to exploit their frustrations to their advantage much like the NFL has. Guys you can't have it both ways. Either you want your provider to look out for your best interests and listen to you or you don't.

The fact that other providers were weak and caved to the demands of the NFL sets a nasty precedent that will be used against providers and customers by programmers for years to come. Had everyone held their ground (as they should have) it would have sent a powerful msg to programmers that the cash grab is over and to refocus on the bigger picture which for everyone involved is...SERVING THE CUSTOMER!
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

Thank you for the reply.

I completely understand BHN's take on this, but I do notice that MLB Network is on the standard digital tier while others are on the sports pack. What is the reasoning behind the MLB network being allowed on the basic tier but the NFL network not being allowed on there?

I personally don't watch baseball but clearly pay for this through my regular monthly fees. I'm not complaining at all but I do feel it should be consistent across the board.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by gigahurtz:

Thank you for the reply.

I completely understand BHN's take on this, but I do notice that MLB Network is on the standard digital tier while others are on the sports pack. What is the reasoning behind the MLB network being allowed on the basic tier but the NFL network not being allowed on there?

I personally don't watch baseball but clearly pay for this through my regular monthly fees. I'm not complaining at all but I do feel it should be consistent across the board.

Grrr why does it always end up with "well they do it why can't I?" Gigahurtz I'm not gonna go any deeper than to say this. The MLB interest is substantially higher than that for the NFL Network. You do realize that that TWC and BHN track these kind of things and they do market research constantly to insure they are meeting the viewing demands of the customer.

Both providers have received substantial feedback from all sides in this argument and the overwhemling feedback is to hold their ground and that's what they're doing. At some point will things change? Maybe...but if you want to help the process along instead of hating your local provider go to the root of the problem which is the NFL.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Einstein~

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

In all the information I've seen, TV ratings for NFL games are always much higher than MLB games. Regardless, I understand BHN's stand on all of this and appreciate the reply.

I do not hate my local provider, I'm very happy with BHN! I'm simply asking for updates on an issue that I haven't heard much about over the last couple of years, that's all.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

your probably right about football games having higher ratings but also take into account that there are like 20x's more baseball games than football. Even if half as many people watched each baseball game vs football, the total viewers for a season would still be MUCH higher.

Thats just my take on it, nothing official. I dont care how its done personally, I Wont watch either and it probably wont affect my bill either way

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to gigahurtz

said by gigahurtz:

In all the information I've seen, TV ratings for NFL games are always much higher than MLB games. Regardless, I understand BHN's stand on all of this and appreciate the reply.

I do not hate my local provider, I'm very happy with BHN! I'm simply asking for updates on an issue that I haven't heard much about over the last couple of years, that's all.

Ratings and total viewers are different beasts. You seem to be losing track of the feedback from customers. The overwhelming feedback is to hold their ground based on the information I have seen. Providers are consumer driven machines despite what some might think. IF there was any reasonable data to support anything different you can be sure all involved would be adapting to that information.
--

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

I see. I guess with the overwhelming popularity of the NFL and all that comes with it I'd figure that there would be far more interest for it then MLB Network. I also understand that regardless of interest, if the NFL Network is asking for too much then something has to be done.

I can continue to hope for a deal in the future - either tiered or included in base pacakge, it doesn't matter to me.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

Don't confuse popularity with money sense. Popularity only takes you so far when it comes to the consumer wallet. Consumers love their football but they also know a money grab when they see one. The NFL has lost sight of the fact that the game is all about the fan...not the money.

Without a doubt a number of the people who have voiced an opinion against caving to the NFL's demands are football fans. Sure they want football but they aren't willing to allow the NFL to dictate to another company or to the consumer for that matter the terms of viewing and paying for said games. It also boils down to value, the way the NFL wants it you the consumer would pay all year for the right to view 8 or 9 live games and the rest of the year useless reruns and commentary.

There is little value to the consumer in that. The consumer sees this for exactly what it is...another way for the NFL to squeeze yet another dime out of you the fan and in this case whether you like it or not you would pay.
--

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

Well, there is more to the NFL Network then just 8-9 live games a season (although I realize this is one of the big selling points they try and push). It's just like the consumer paying for the MLB Network year round when the season spans only about 7 months. These channels are specific to the sport and show programs/live shows/etc related to it.

I don't just want it for the 8-9 live games, I want it because I'm a football fan and I enjoy watching all kinds of programming related to football. It seems that BHN is trying to make it sound like NFL Network wants you to pay year round for 8 live games and NFL Network is making it sound like BHN doesn't want to carry it.

Again, I don't side with anyone over this and I'm just simply a fan hoping that an agreement can be made. I can assure you, as avid sports fan, that there is a lot more money in the sport of football then there is baseball. Football has become our countries past time. I do also agree though that the NFL has become extremely greedy because of this. The most recent lockout was further proof at how this league is strictly about the money. The only reason a deal was struck is because both sides realized that there is WAY to much money to be lost of the season didn't start on time.

Again, thank you to ispgeek and tim tim tim for your updates on this issue. It seems it's still in the same spot that it was in the last time I checked. I sure hope the NFL and BHN can reach an agreement soon!

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to gigahurtz

I've read in the past few days that Time Warner is very close in sealing a deal with the NFL on the NFL network. I realize Time Warner is in negotiations, but would this mean that Brighthouse customers can expect to get the channel as well if Time Warner strikes a deal?

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by gigahurtz:

I've read in the past few days that Time Warner is very close in sealing a deal with the NFL on the NFL network. I realize Time Warner is in negotiations, but would this mean that Brighthouse customers can expect to get the channel as well if Time Warner strikes a deal?

Sorry GH but I haven't heard anything to back that up as of yet.
--

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to gigahurtz

Any new information on this? It's been two months since my last post and I try and keep up to date. I sure wish I would have been able to watch this past Thursday night's game. I read that it was the most watched game on NFL Network with over 10 million viewers.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to gigahurtz

Sorry Gigahurtz nothing has changed and it's highly unlikely it will this year.

Twc and bh can't make deal, but 7 of the 8 majors cable cables have made a deal and these customers can watch the nfl network gyrarsbho). Let's not forget Comcast customers here in Florida just a few hours away can watch, but here in Tampa we can't. Nor can we sign up for Comcast cause of more regulatory BS. Christ this isn't rocket science - give the ppl what we want. Nfl game are only 16 weeks!

Twc and Bh just the deal! I bet twc waste more money than what the nfl wants annually.

kdwycha

join:2003-01-30
Riverview, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

said by Customers2nd :

Twc and bh can't make deal, but 7 of the 8 majors cable cables have made a deal and these customers can watch the nfl network gyrarsbho). Let's not forget Comcast customers here in Florida just a few hours away can watch, but here in Tampa we can't. Nor can we sign up for Comcast cause of more regulatory BS. Christ this isn't rocket science - give the ppl what we want. Nfl game are only 16 weeks!

Twc and Bh just the deal! I bet twc waste more money than what the nfl wants annually.

Well DirecTV and Dish Network and Verizon FiOS have NFL Network so you do have more options then just BHN in the Tampa area. I think it is ridiculous too that BHN will not budge on negotiations for NFL Network, Red Zone Channel and HBO/Max Go. I understand broadcasters are dicks but if the negotiations fail just man up and pay the price like every other company does. Sometimes I think BHN thinks they are the only game in town still and need to realize there is serious competition out there and they should provide what customers wants are or they will bleed customers to the competition. Especially if you raise rates 11% like in Feb 11 and offer the same channels as before.

ScooterJones

join:2012-02-15
Daytona Beach, FL

said by kdwycha:

said by Customers2nd :

Well DirecTV and Dish Network and Verizon FiOS have NFL Network so you do have more options then just BHN in the Tampa area. I think it is ridiculous too that BHN will not budge on negotiations for NFL Network, Red Zone Channel and HBO/Max Go. I understand broadcasters are dicks but if the negotiations fail just man up and pay the price like every other company does. Sometimes I think BHN thinks they are the only game in town still and need to realize there is serious competition out there and they should provide what customers wants are or they will bleed customers to the competition. Especially if you raise rates 11% like in Feb 11 and offer the same channels as before.

If you don't like this whole BHN vs. NFL crap, then do what I did. Give your opinion by voting with your dollar. I switched to DirecTV and couldn't be happier. Along with getting way more HD channels with DirecTV, I have found two huge benefits of leaving BHN.

1. I no longer have to deal with BHN's horrible boxes that never work & that insanely ugly program guide. I have the new DirecTV Tivo HD DVR and it's AMAZING!

2. I get NFL Network & NFL Sunday Ticket. Both of which (if we are all honest we know) will never come to BHN.

Also to the people who say satellite doesn't work in a storm, that is no longer the truth. While I admit that was an issue back in the day. Since I switch 1.5yrs ago I haven't lost signal once when it was storming. I love my DirecTV service and only regret not switching sooner. So I didn't mean for this post to be soo long, but long story short.... If you don't like the BHN/NFL war then leave BHN! It's really that simple. The only people I feel bad for are the apartment dwellers whose management doesn't allow for sat dishes to be installed on their property.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

said by ScooterJones:

said by kdwycha:

said by Customers2nd :

If you don't like this whole BHN vs. NFL crap, then do what I did. Give your opinion by voting with your dollar. I switched to DirecTV and couldn't be happier. Along with getting way more HD channels with DirecTV, I have found two huge benefits of leaving BHN.

1. I no longer have to deal with BHN's horrible boxes that never work & that insanely ugly program guide. I have the new DirecTV Tivo HD DVR and it's AMAZING!

2. I get NFL Network & NFL Sunday Ticket. Both of which (if we are all honest we know) will never come to BHN.

Also to the people who say satellite doesn't work in a storm, that is no longer the truth. While I admit that was an issue back in the day. Since I switch 1.5yrs ago I haven't lost signal once when it was storming. I love my DirecTV service and only regret not switching sooner. So I didn't mean for this post to be soo long, but long story short.... If you don't like the BHN/NFL war then leave BHN! It's really that simple. The only people I feel bad for are the apartment dwellers whose management doesn't allow for sat dishes to be installed on their property.

The flip side to this is to stop feeding the NFL money beast and tell them what you think of charging for games that for decades were FTA. While you're at it make sure you tell the NFL what you think of being forced to pay for a channel that you don't watch or have any intentions of watching and the NFL's refusal to allow it to be tiered and subscribed to by just those who want to watch it and are willing to pay verses forced down the throats of all subscribers whether they watch it or not. And for what? 8 regular games and reruns and commentary the remainder of the year and let's not forget that already forgotten tidbit that starting with 2012 all the major games including holiday games will be FTA anyway making the NFL Network largely irrelevant.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2
reply to kdwycha

BHN does have the hbo/max go..

Also, You saying that satellite doesnt go out in a storm is crap. I worked for them for a long time. I see them all of the time and I talk to customers who have it as well. it DOES still go out, maybe yours hasnt YET but you likely havent been through a summer with it yet.

plaisance

join:2012-02-27
Sanford, FL

any word on this as this is the time of the year when the NFL and content providers open up for discussion.

This will be the last year I stay with cable if nothing gives as its unacceptable on multiple fronts to have both the NFL and BHN stall discussions on something we, paying customers, want.

I don't care about anything other than a deal getting done, now!

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

4 edits

said by plaisance:

any word on this as this is the time of the year when the NFL and content providers open up for discussion.

This will be the last year I stay with cable if nothing gives as its unacceptable on multiple fronts to have both the NFL and BHN stall discussions on something we, paying customers, want.

I don't care about anything other than a deal getting done, now!

And we want you to have it. When the NFL starts negotiating instead of dictating we'll have a framework for which all can be made happy. You should be aware there is almost no value to the NFL Network since effective 2012 (this year) virtually all of the important games will now be OTA courtesy of a deal signed late last year. In the meantime I suggest you direct some of that frustration to the NFL.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~

Hardy101

@rr.com

FTA?????

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to gigahurtz

Typo OTA (Over the Air)

HDOrlando

join:2011-11-30
kudos:1
reply to gigahurtz

Gary: When you mean important games, do you mean The Thanksgiving Game moving to NBC?

While I'd love NFL Network, when a deal doesn't get struck, I think of how the NFL screws everyone out of "Sunday Ticket". That is what everyone should think of if no deal is struck. TWC/NFL Network last year and maybe something will happen later this year.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 edit

said by HDOrlando:

Gary: When you mean important games, do you mean The Thanksgiving Game moving to NBC?

While I'd love NFL Network, when a deal doesn't get struck, I think of how the NFL screws everyone out of "Sunday Ticket". That is what everyone should think of if no deal is struck. TWC/NFL Network last year and maybe something will happen later this year.

Thats one of several mentioned in the press release. I need to see if I can dig it all up again. HD you know how I feel about this topic. If folks like the guy above spent half the energy they spent on blasting us at the NFL we wouldn't be dealing with this today.

If people looked at the real reasons behind it they should be angry as hell with the NFL not us for trying to say enough is enough. It boils down to this. Allow us to tier this channel so that only those who want it pay for it, not everyone and make it available at a FAIR price based on the value it adds.

The NFL doesn't want that. In the ultimate money grab (as if they don't already make enough) they want to force it down everyones throat and expect you all to pay for it whether you watch it or not. If the channel actually added some reasonable value for everyone that might be one thing but 8 or 9 exclusive regular games down from the previous year) and then regurgitated sports reruns and commentary the remainder of the year is NOT what most reasonable people would call value.
--

gigahurtz
Premium
Palm Coast, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House

With all due respect, I think the frustration that many of us have is that TWC/BHN state they're doing this because not everyone wants to pay for this channel, yet we have loads and loads of channels that we pay for that aren't included in an additional tier that are useless to us.

I completely understand where BHN is coming from, I just wish it was more consistent across the board.

I would love an 'al a carte' approach to television stations, but I realize that will never happen thanks to the networks. They would actually have to work harder to put out quality programming.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL

said by gigahurtz:

With all due respect, I think the frustration that many of us have is that TWC/BHN state they're doing this because not everyone wants to pay for this channel, yet we have loads and loads of channels that we pay for that aren't included in an additional tier that are useless to us.

I completely understand where BHN is coming from, I just wish it was more consistent across the board.

I would love an 'al a carte' approach to television stations, but I realize that will never happen thanks to the networks. They would actually have to work harder to put out quality programming.

GH we have to start somewhere besides many of the channels you refer to are bought in groups where to carry one you must carry all. No choice there. Also the channels you refer to are in most cases diverse and do offer considerable value to the vast majority of viewers compared to lets say the NFL Network where the programming options are limited to just one topic.
--

HDOrlando

join:2011-11-30
kudos:1

Gary: Yes, I do understand your position . While I want NFL Network badly and that Redzone channel and plan to campaign for the sides to reach a deal, it really is too expensive and sports drives up our bill.

The NFL giving DTV exclusive access to "Sunday Ticket" is the worst though.

They screw over the competitors and complain about competitors not picking up their NFL Network. Unfortunately, Comcast and Dish Network caved and then other cable co's followed.

If they had not, they could have banded together and forced NFL Network into making "Sunday Ticket" available to all and a fairer price for NFL Network. MLB, NBA and NHL all offer their out of market packages to everyone.

That's why I have no problem if a deal is not reached.

Everyone: Look at our HD lineup compared to other systems. It is wonderful and were close to 200 HD channels with HD coming every few months.

The only holes I see are NFL Network (We have discussed this), HDNet (soon to be AXS.TV) and HDNet Movies and more HD Starz.

All actually have a chance to happen this year too if the NFL gets their act together, AXS lowers their price with the new format (I think they will and HDNet Movies would go back on the HD or Movie Tier) and More HD Starz which should happen soon after a new long-term deal is struck (They are on month to months at the moment)

Sometimes I feel we forget how fortunate we are with BHN and I truly mean that.