Search similar:

uniqs

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

1 edit

ShawSean

[ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Hi everyone, I just wanted to say how much we appreciate everyone's feedback on Shaw's products and services. We really value your thoughts and really enjoy being a part of this community. I’d also like to thank the moderators for allowing us to have this stickied thread.

We think this space is a great opportunity for you to connect with me personally and ask any questions that you might have. There are obviously a lot of great conversations happening on DSLReports and my team and I will continue to participate in them, but this thread will give you a chance to ask any questions or share feedback directly with us and can be sure that we don't miss it.

Now, I may not have all the answers but I’ll always do my best to get you an one - I just ask for your patience because sometimes I'll have to dig around to get it. Also, please keep in mind that I’m not available 24/7, since I do have a personal life (believe it or not) and enjoy my time off. That being said, I'll more or less be here during normal business hours for you to connect with.

Thanks again everyone for your support,
Sean.
saberon6
join:2011-05-27

1 edit

saberon6

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

1) Can the Cisco gateway bond 8 lines for BB250 when it is eventually available?

2) Get rid of Ask Amy. That strange useless bot has always creeped me out.

Just a few minor things off the top of my head. Thanks

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Does all the packages on the Business side have the standard ports unblocked. Port 80, 25, etc. Would love to finally run my own mail server, but without port 25, it's a lost cause. Be nice to know once and for all. Also, can I package my digital cable with a business internet service at a residential location without issues?

mrmagoooooo
@shawcable.net

mrmagoooooo

Anon

said by rustydusty:

Does all the packages on the Business side have the standard ports unblocked. Port 80, 25, etc. Would love to finally run my own mail server, but without port 25, it's a lost cause. Be nice to know once and for all. Also, can I package my digital cable with a business internet service at a residential location without issues?

All ports are unblocked if you have a Business Internet account with a Static IP address.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Does it cost more for a static with a business? I know some places you either get XX amount of dynamic or say 2 static at same price. Also, any idea on the bundling of digital tv services with a business internet service?
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

I run a mail server on a dynamic res IP. Shaw doesn't block inbound port 25, only outbound port 25. For outbound mail, I just have my mailserver forward through shaw's mail server.

I don't know of any other ports that are blocked (certainly not port 80, since I also run a webserver on the same connection).

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Never have I seen that. Pop uses 110 (Inbound), SMTP uses 25 (Outbound). I could change the ports, however it's a huge pain. I could also use a forwarding service, but that is another hop and another possibly place things can go wrong. Having everything unblocked and using default ports is easiest. For all that much work, rather just do a remote mail server.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to saberon6

to saberon6
said by saberon6:

1) Can the Cisco gateway bond 8 lines for BB250 when it is eventually available?

2) Get rid of Ask Amy. That strange useless bot has always creeped me out.

Just a few minor things off the top of my head. Thanks

1) yes

2) have fun with her, ask her a random question :P
ShawSean

2 edits

ShawSean to rustydusty

to rustydusty
said by rustydusty:

That's correct, with a business account port 25 outbound isn't limited, so you could run your own mail server. Also, you can package your digital cable and business internet together.

Also, business Internet 50 comes with static, however, business 25 and starter can have a static added for $9.95.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to rustydusty

to rustydusty
SMTP uses port 25 for both directions. Email coming to your users will use inbound port 25, email being sent from your users uses outbound port 25 to connect to the remote mail server. POP3 (port 110) will be for your users to pick up their mail from you.
Your users could also use a 3rd party to send their outbound email.

As far as forwarding outbound SMTP via a 3rd party (IE shaw's servers), google "smarthost smtp". It does add a hop outbound, but it's far cheaper than upgrading my service to business and buying a static ip. I'm not running business services on it, just my own personal domain, and this setup has been working since they started blocking outbound port 25.

And again, Shaw only blocks port 25 outgoing. No other ports that I've noticed.
Flamesfan
join:2011-03-28

Flamesfan to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Port 25 is blocked on all Dynamic IPs.

Static IP is the only way around this and requires a business package.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Once again, Sean comes through. Got my Business broadband 50, full HD for $95/month for 6 months, then $120/month after. That's 50x5 will all ports open, plus the priority of business tier. I'm extremely happy, and thanks again. Lucky to have such a wonderful member on these forums.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Thanks Rusty, Kudo's to Nikki and Jesse on the business team as well .

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

pkarlos_76

nm, I need to check something.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
said by ShawSean:

Thanks Rusty, Kudo's to Nikki and Jesse on the business team as well .

Let them know I appreciate everything they did. Was quick, and extremely humorous.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to stolen

to stolen
said by stolen:

As far as forwarding outbound SMTP via a 3rd party (IE shaw's servers), google "smarthost smtp". It does add a hop outbound, but it's far cheaper than upgrading my service to business and buying a static ip. I'm not running business services on it, just my own personal domain, and this setup has been working since they started blocking outbound port 25.

If you have a hosting service, it may offer this service for you already.

Mail relaying is a common service offered for free with domain hosting - these hosts require you to use Authenticated SMTP or Secure SMTP over ports like 587. Most MUAs can talk to this easily, and MTAs ought to be able to use it as well. These are allowed because they're authenticated - the mail sender has verified themselves to the relay so the email can be traced back to the origin.

A lot of incoming mail servers also block port 25 inbound from dynamic hosts - so Shaw's requirement of static IPs isn't unusual. So your options are to get a business package, or use your hosting service's mail relaying service.
icydude
join:2005-03-15
New Westminster, BC

icydude to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I need to ask why Shaw is so incompetent and can never follow through with what they say.

I ordered BB50 in August and specifically requested a Cisco modem. My roommate was home when it got installed September 8th. I got home later that night and I open the closet to find a Motorola surfboard.

I spent two and a half hours on the phone waiting to get through to support to ask what happened. The service rep confirmed that they would get a tech to come out and switch the modem.

I just received a text from my roommate this morning and he tells me now that they dropped off an SMC.

Why is it so hard to follow through with simple instructions and requests...Shaw drives me absolutely nuts.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

It's quite possible there were only SMC's available at the time. Send me your contact details and i'll see what I can do.
bushnerd0
join:2006-07-03
Sault Ste Marie, ON

bushnerd0 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
how come I refereed a friend over 3 months ago, and I am not getting my credit as promised despite contacting the chat, and being told I will get it shortly?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

That I don't know, pm me your details and I'll take a look.
Amar7
join:2001-07-20
Surrey, BC

Amar7 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Any ETA for phase 2 of the internet plans in the Surrey/Newton, BC area?
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to ShawSean

to ShawSean
when phase 2 rolls out will broadband 50 be bumped to 100 and be unlimited ?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to Amar7

to Amar7
said by Amar7:

I'll try and find out an approx date for you.
ShawSean

ShawSean to DanteX

to DanteX
said by DanteX:

when phase 2 rolls out will broadband 50 be bumped to 100 and be unlimited ?

bumped? they're different packages. Once new speeds become available, you would have to contact us to upgrade if you desired to do so.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

What I mean is will the pricing scheme stay the same? 139 for 100 Unlimited right now , will 250 be the same? will 100 unlimited drop in price too ?
Amar7
Surrey, BC

Amar7

said by DanteX:

What I mean is will the pricing scheme stay the same? 139 for 100 Unlimited right now , will 250 be the same? will 100 unlimited drop in price too ?

see here

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to Amar7

to Amar7
said by Amar7:

As of today, the scheduled start time is December 2011. Usually takes 2-3 months for the changeover to be completed.
Amar7
Surrey, BC

Amar7

thanks

Nilism
join:2011-02-07
Edmonton, AB

Nilism to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Is there a road map for these upgrades?

Looking for info on the Edmonton downtown/Oliver area timeline.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
What's the ETA on enabling internet service and networking utilizing the Gateway devices?