share rss forum feed view:
watch
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to kevinds

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Thanks. It's annoying. The message has cycled through advising that there was a disconnect order issued. Now it is back to just requesting payment. I guess Shaw really is that hard up for customers that they won't follow through.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Glen T
Yeah, just a recording on the call.

Noticed this a few weeks ago, 4-6 weeks ago I noticed them

Possible someone mis-understood or mis-typed their phone number and yours got entered? Dunno

I've had it before, but it was to call a different number (one of Shaw's familiar contact numbers)

Glen T

join:2003-11-03
BC
reply to ShawSean
Does Shaw use robocalls for account payment issues? I keep getting robocalls on my cell phone claiming to be from Shaw, but I checked my account an it is up to date. In fact, I got on Shaw Chat and had a customer rep verify that the account is up to date. To make thing weirder, Shaw does not have my cell phone number as the contact number on record. These calls have continued for months. The number that I am supposed to call is 1-855-729-7658. The Shaw rep says that it must be some kind of scam.

spazz

join:2013-06-20
Port Moody, BC
reply to ShawSean
Hi Mr. Shaw!

I just got the new SBG6782 modem, and is there a way to enable snmp on that thing? I'd like to be able to monitor my bandwidth...

Thanks!

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to tlhIngan
said by tlhIngan:

Actually, that never happened in the US

said by tlbepson:

In Reston, VA the dvr charge is $16.95/month.

For many, many years (8-10), I have used a Comcast provided Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HD stb--it was provided initially in an attempt to fix a closed captioning issue (I have a hearing loss and need closed captions to make programming accessible). A number of months ago, Comcast turned on the dvr function on the 8300HD--I had not requested it and had no desire for the service.

Last week I received a letter telling me that I would now be charged for the dvr service. Since I had not requested it and didn't want it, I certainly wasn't going to pay for it--and certainly not $16.95/month!

Quick search, didn't find one that used the DCT6416, but doesn't really matter

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to kevinds
said by kevinds:

said by tlhIngan:

they were constantly being dinged extra $5/month in rental fees that really should've been rolled into the regular price since it was impossible to use their service without it.

Or $15/month for a DVR service fee, to actually use the PVR features of a DCT6416

Actually, that never happened in the US - because of ReplayTV and TiVo were charging $10/month for their service. The cable providers wouldn't very well charge MORE (because users would just buy a TiVo/ReplayTV), so they billed around $8/month for the recording function.

Of course, Canada is free to do it as there's no way to use a far superior DVR here.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to tlhIngan
said by tlhIngan:

they were constantly being dinged extra $5/month in rental fees that really should've been rolled into the regular price since it was impossible to use their service without it.

Or $15/month for a DVR service fee, to actually use the PVR features of a DCT6416

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to TrainAss
said by TrainAss:

said by kevinds:

said by TrainAss:

Will Shaw ever allow the use of customer owned modems?

Extremely unlikely

Why do you think that would be?

Because they're not legally required to like they are in the US. So they want to be the ones that control the end-to-end experience by making you buy (or rent) their modems, buy their boxes (that only work on their system), etc.

Hell, consider yourself lucky Shaw at least has the option to bridge the modem.

The only reason Americans can buy their own modems and use their own cableboxes and DVRs is because the FCC makes it mandatory that customers can own their own equipment AND use their own equipment (as long as it's compatible). This arose because a lot of companies weren't letting customers buy their gear, so they were constantly being dinged extra $5/month in rental fees that really should've been rolled into the regular price since it was impossible to use their service without it.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to TrainAss
said by TrainAss:

This makes me sad. Oh well.

Yeah, I really want to swap one of my DPC3825s for a modem only unit lol

TrainAss

join:2011-01-26
Canada
reply to kevinds
This makes me sad. Oh well.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to TrainAss
Experience with Shaw.

Unless they are forced to, no

They won't even allow the SB6120 modems (that some Shaw customers have), that the TPIA have on their systems - taking a TSI modem and putting it on a Shaw cable account

Unless they are forced to, I don't see it happening - makes troubleshooting harder, service call comes out, tech can't swap the modem to test, tells customer to buy a new modem, customer buys new modem, and doesn't fix the problem - as an example

TrainAss

Canada
reply to kevinds
said by kevinds:

said by TrainAss:

Extremely unlikely

Why do you think that would be?
--
-= It's just random chance that I hit the keyboard in such a way that my responses make sense =-

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to TrainAss
said by TrainAss:

Extremely unlikely

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean
Anyone from Shaw still monitor these forums? Could use a signal check to find out why my modem is dropping every few days.

Thanks!

TrainAss

Canada
reply to ShawSean
Hey Op, I'll be getting my Shaw internet hooked up on Sunday. I understand that Shaw offers Modem/Router combo, and they will enable bridge mode. Will Shaw ever allow the use of customer owned modems?
--
-= It's just random chance that I hit the keyboard in such a way that my responses make sense =-

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to chall2k56
"recently"

1-2 years ago if I recall

Spellbot5000

join:2011-06-09
Port Moody, BC

1 edit
reply to ShawSean
Do the Shaw phone/chat reps have access to more detailed bandwidth logs than what's shown on the website? My bandwidth usage is somehow almost 6 times higher this month than any month previous, and I'm at a loss to explain why.

Hoping they might have more detailed stats, and can determine if it was spread out over the month, and maybe is somehow just normal use, or if it was during a single period and is indicative of someone hijacking my WiFi signal.

EDIT: Talked to a rep this morning, and she said there is an ongoing bug with bandwidth reporting where it will lump several months usage into one month on the bar graph.

chall2k56

join:2007-10-03
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean
Any chance of seeing faster upload speeds on our plans?

Telus recently bumped all of their VDSL plans to 5 or 10Mbps up

There is no reason why 25 cant see 5Mbps and 50 cant match the 10Mbps

detoam

join:2008-02-19
Campbell River, BC
reply to ShawSean
Thank you.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to detoam
said by detoam:

I know you have been asked this before, but I will ask again. Is Shaw going to raise the upload speeds?

No Idea @detoam. I'm sure if there's any changes made to our u/d speeds we'll share it via Twitter/fb/community/shaw.ca etc.

cheers,
Sean
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

detoam

join:2008-02-19
Campbell River, BC
reply to ShawSean
I know you have been asked this before, but I will ask again. Is Shaw going to raise the upload speeds?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to JohnH1
It will be the same cable coming from the street, and split to the upstairs and basement
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

JohnH1

@telus.net
reply to kevinds
Can two Shaw accounts run across the same coaxial cable or will I need to pull another cable?

The basement is being rented out and they are using Shaw for TV.

The whole house is wired for Cable/Ethernet and everything goes back to the closet. Their connection goes from the basement up to the closet, connects to another coaxial cable in the closet that goes outside the side of the house, down a conduit all the way to the garage into the smart panel.

There's a spare coax from the closet to the side of the house but terminates there. There's a fishing line in the conduit from the house to the garage so I could pull an extra coax cable and connect it to the spare coax. But is it necessary or is it all going to travel down the same line anyways?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to 18286719
I've been getting conflicting responces from Shaw lately, Phase 2 is now removing all the analog stations, not just the Tiers
--

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
reply to jtl999
+1 but more specifically, where is my bb250, phase 2 is already done here lol
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to Shaw_Alex
4) Wheres my Phase 2?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to gitaroo
That's been there since last January

gitaroo

join:2010-08-03
reply to ShawSean
I saw "Subject to Bump-up‡."

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to gitaroo
Not seeing anything that indicates that... Other than the + plans are also listed with the non-plus plan (on the same page)
--

gitaroo

join:2010-08-03
reply to ShawSean
the new plans looks like bump up program is in place now?
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next