share rss forum feed view:
watch
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 ... 28 · 29 · 30 · next

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to tlcscousin

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Nodes should be physically wired to separate cards/ports. They shouldn't be able to jump, that defies physics. What you are describing is confusing.

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to pkarlos_76

said by pkarlos_76:

"Add superior TV with more HD, Internet, and Home Phone.
Each service is just $19.95/month** for 3 months. Every
Shaw service you add between December 1st and
December 23rd gets you a free $100 Visa®Prepaid Card."

So when do us loyal customers get our rewards for our patience???

I understood that Shaw was never supposed to have contracts. Now they lock you in for 6 months with these gift cards. lol.

tlcscousin

join:2008-09-19
reply to ravenchilde

its not just my node rumor has it everyones modem is jumping on same card on cmts and they say 14 days to fix which is not really acceptible.

ravenchilde

reply to tlcscousin

The good news is that it is probably a bug. Unlikely Shaw would have changed your nodes to have more customers. Probably just growing pains, these systems are complicated, but it will get sorted.

tlcscousin

join:2008-09-19
reply to ShawSean

Salmon Arm BC apparently Internet went on Shaw service yesterday my 15/1 service is dropped tonight to 0.99/0.5 and apparently we get the chance for the 50 service level but if this is what we get on 15 what can we expect on the 50? Have 4 other people at work getting the same thing since yesterday works fine in the day 15/1 at 8 am 9/.05 at 430pm but hit 6pm 0.99/.05 and down it goes. Not a good start with the Shaw service.

eldiabloxxx

join:2011-12-01
reply to ShawSean

Hello.
I JUST got Broadband 50 from Shaw. The speed test at shaw's website shows 26 mbps. I only have one laptop in the house.

Previously, the Extreme internet also showed only around 1/2 the speed (~13-15 mbps).

The guy installing today said that the cable and splitting is fine and that people usually get the speed I am getting"

I don't think he is right because I know people who get around or over 40 mbps with this.

I am from Edmonton btw.

Anything I can do? Should I call shaw or are there things I can do to improve speed?

The new modem btw is this new wireless modem from the company called "SMC"

Help would be appriciated! Thanks.

ainrue

join:2011-11-30
Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean

Thanks Sean,

Anecdotally, I tried to play MW3 on launch day and that was the worst I have ever seen the network. It has gotten a bit better since then, but I am 90% certain that this has got to be a saturation issue. Just not sure how the lines can be saturated nearly 24/7 as I have never seen 100Mbit service, and haven't even seen 50+ in a while.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to pkarlos_76

Next week, I'll have more details for you then
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

"Add superior TV with more HD, Internet, and Home Phone.
Each service is just $19.95/month** for 3 months. Every
Shaw service you add between December 1st and
December 23rd gets you a free $100 Visa®Prepaid Card."

So when do us loyal customers get our rewards for our patience???

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@ainrue - The frustrations pretty understandable, considering you're not getting what you're paying for. I'm looking into things a bit more to see if there's anything else that can be done.

@Zellyn - sounds like your connection is fine. I'd do some further troubleshooting on your computer. Can you try rebooting your computer in safe mode w/ networking and running the speedtests again? also ensure you're directly connected.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Zellyn

@shawcable.net
reply to Zellyn

So I directly connected my modem to my computer and now I'm getting around 45mbps on Shaw's speed test ( »speedtest.shaw.ca/run ), but I can't even actually connect to speedtest.net anymore because the page just won't load completely. I can access a number of different sites with great speeds, but others are just unbearably slow. Pretty much every game I've tried has between 1 and 5 seconds of lag.

ainrue

Vancouver, BC
reply to Cornat

Not to sound all high and mighty, but honestly, as the consumer, I shouldn't have to care if its as complex as defusing an atomic bomb, or if it requires 100 man hours to complete. They advertised and sold me a service which they cannot supply or support.

The best part is that they won't admit that they can't offer it, they just take my money. They've offered the idea of a refund, but wont credit my account until the problem gets resolved. I have this sinking feeling that once (if?) that day comes, they'll conveniently forget about the prommises, or tell me that only a percentage is able to be credited blah blah blah. Call me a pessimist, but I just had this run-around with Rogers over my cellphone bill and frankly I'm exhausted with having to deal with it all.

I am looking forward to the 250+, but to have to wait another 9 months while paying for 100Mbps and getting 0.5-3Mbps on average is infuriating.

Right now I'm trying to grab a damn video from a client that's around 100 MB in size and I see ...about an hour remaining and my blood is beginning to boil.

Imagine driving a porsche in Toronto and loving it (rogers, 50 Mbit at the time). Now imagine buying that same porsche in Vancouver. I've paid for the porsche, yet its got the pep of a toyota echo, and the reliability of an old fiat. Also, every time you drive that it you hope it catches on fire so that you can finally get rid of it.

This is what I feel like.

(yes, i mad, bro)

Cornat

join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC
reply to ainrue

said by ainrue:

After trying to reason with him that since the 250+ rollout is an unknown date, that I'd like to have this splice done. He eventually told me that he would not book a tech to do this temporary fix.

When I asked for a better ETA (ballpark of course) on the 250 rollout, he said that he hadn't heard anything about UBC (my) area, so its likely that it will be in the new year, "before august, certainly."

"splitting a node" takes alot more than just booking a tech. They can't just tell the tech to go split it, it's not like adding a coaxial splitter in your home lol. Things will get worse before they get better. BB250 is gonna be like getting that sticker and sucker after getting your shot.

ainrue

Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean

Me again!

Got a phone call this evening from a shaw rep (forgot to get his name) who was very polite. He ran some tests and told me what I already knew ("levels look good from here" and "you should be getting higher speeds than that")

He investigated the speeds in the area and said that there wasn't enough saturation to be causing this much of an issue. "You should be seeing 100Mbps in the mornings at least"

We chatted about the splicing solution which he said was a temporary fix, and that it would interrupt the progress on the big 250 rollout. (Even though my internet is practically unusable, I'm impeding their progress.

After trying to reason with him that since the 250+ rollout is an unknown date, that I'd like to have this splice done. He eventually told me that he would not book a tech to do this temporary fix.

When I asked for a better ETA (ballpark of course) on the 250 rollout, he said that he hadn't heard anything about UBC (my) area, so its likely that it will be in the new year, "before august, certainly."

This is insane. I need better support than this! I appreciate that shaw is busy trying to improve their network, but waiting until august will mean living with this incredibly unreliable internet service for an entire year.

I asked for any sort of next steps or ETA to solve my problem "you'll just have to wait and see" was the senior tech's advice. No deliverables, no timelines, no next steps.

I was basically told to just deal with it, and of course, because shaw owns the only network in my area, that really is my only option. (that, and complain on internet forums.)

There has to be something, some sort of avenue that hasn't been explored, that can be done about this...

Zellyn

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

I'm in the Victoria area and right now my download speed is atrociously bad, sitting around 300 kbps from various speedtest.net tests. My upload is completely normal at around 3mpbs so I have no idea what's going on.

Also, incidentally, I was upgraded to 50mpbs last week and I didn't notice much of a change at all from the regular broadband I had before. I figured 50mbps was an exaggeration, but based on old speedtest.net logs my download speed has only gone from 17-18mbps to around 20mbps.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to pkarlos_76

said by pkarlos_76:

This proves it's not a shaw issue then.

One less thing for me to investigate /cheer
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ravenchilde

This proves it's not a shaw issue then.

ravenchilde

reply to stolen

Like Stolen I went into the preferences and set my connection to Cable >10MB and set my server to Canada - Toronto. I'm now getting 5.2 MBytes/sec

WOOT!

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ainrue

@ainrue - I did read your entire post btw - If you can PM me your contact details and the best time to reach you at, I'll have a senior tech contact you to troubleshoot further and see if we can get some concrete answers on what's going on.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
reply to pkarlos_76

said by pkarlos_76:

Just a note I was told by a steam rep in a trouble ticket about a year ago that they limit their connections to 10 megabit/s per IP address. Not sure if that is still the case today.

Doesn't appear to be. After reading this thread, I played around with the steam servers and found one (Chicago) that gave me 4.5MB/s download speeds. Most of the west coast servers only gave me ~ 1.5 - 2.0MB/s (still more than 10mb/s tho).

ainrue

Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean

Hi!

New to DSLreports. I tweeted you @shaw_sean, but created this account to cover all bases.

I'm out on UBC Campus and my bb100+ account flickers between 0.5Mbps-3Mbps during the evenings. During the day i'm lucky to see 25 Mbps, but of course as soon as I schedule a tech I get 50Mbps +1, enough for them to say "sorry, that's within spec." even though it takes an hour of testing to hit one test above 50 Mbps.

Had many calls in to cus. svc and was told they'd call me back, but I have received no calls (I verified my phone number each time.) I was told I'd receive a refund for the malfunctioning service, so I'm not too pained over this, but it occasionally gets to the point where I cannot play games, skype chat or do my job. (freelance web dev, work from home)

One tech, after pleading with him, said he'd run a saturation report and told me the next day that the node was indeed saturated. He mentioned that the fix was that the node could be spliced and went on to detail how much of a hassle it was to do so (and how the paperwork takes a long time because its the schools' land technically etc etc)

He then mentioned that 250+ would be rolling out 'soon' and when I asked for an ETA he said "fall", but when I pressured him I got a "probably more like the new year."

He said either of these (splice or 250+ rollout) would fix my problem. I would really like some timelines here though, as this affects not only my leisure, but mine and my girlfriends livelihoods (shes a student, hence the UBC campus.)

I'm at the point where I have been shopping around for other ISPs and all that's left in the area is DSL, otherwise I would have swapped telcos a long time ago. 100Mbps may be 'the fastest internet blah blah blah' but when I get 1/200th of that speed, I get pretty pissed off. Even more so when I get the bill every month for a service I do not receive.

Please help!

(I can PM you my specifics, but yes, I tried wired, gigE directly to the new cisco DPC3825 modem/router combo which I've had flashed as gateway only, multiple computers, multiple speed test hosts. This problem has persisted through about 9 tech support calls, and 3 housecalls from techs, had all cables and modem replaced also.)

---

tldr;

I get between 0.5 - 3Mbps during evenings (gaming time) on my BB100+ account.

Tech has confirmed its saturation.

Want to know when I can expect the issue to be resolved, but currently no concrete plan of action.

Thanks!

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

Just a note I was told by a steam rep in a trouble ticket about a year ago that they limit their connections to 10 megabit/s per IP address. Not sure if that is still the case today.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

Whats your connection like to steam when directly connected to just our modem?
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ravenchilde

reply to Steamshaw

The Cisco DPC3825 is a Modem with eRouter (integrated router) so likely the double NAT happening with your Cisco Linksys E1000 is a problem. Two solutions:

1) Take the Cisco Linksys E1000 out of the situation, put it in a box in the attic. You don't need it.

2) Leave the Cisco Linksys where it is, phone Shaw and ask for your DPC3825 to be put into "bridge mode" because you want to "use my own router".

Steamshaw

@shawcable.net
reply to Doonz

Specs are:

Motorola digital TV cable box
+
Cisco DPC3825 Modem
+
Cisco Linksys E1000 Router

Possible conflict? I still have web access at a significantly reduced
speed compared to my old 25mb connection and networks like STEAM or IRC refuse to connect. BT connections have dirt low
response.

STEAMEDShaw

@shawcable.net
reply to Le BRAC

Specs are:

Motorola digital TV cable box
+
Cisco DPC3825 Modem
+
Cisco Linksys E1000 Router

Possible conflict? I still have web access at a significantly reduced
speed compared to my old 25mb connection and networks like STEAM or IRC refuse to connect. BT connections have dirt low
response. I'm at a loss....

Le BRAC

@shawcable.net
reply to Doonz

Chateau On the Hill still there?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to Steamshaw

said by Steamshaw :

Could you explain to me why, previous, with my 25mb internet connection I was able to access the Steam Network, but now that i've accepted a promotional 50mb with Digital TV upgrade I can no longer
access said network?

Connection is also very laggy loading webapages, so unless there is
a clean solution, I think my best alternative is a downgrade to 25mb.

Any insight? `preciate it...

P.S: Going on 49 mins hold for 24 hour support. Lmao.

Im going with your router ports arent set properly

Steamshaw

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Could you explain to me why, previous, with my 25mb internet connection I was able to access the Steam Network, but now that i've accepted a promotional 50mb with Digital TV upgrade I can no longer
access said network?

Connection is also very laggy loading webapages, so unless there is
a clean solution, I think my best alternative is a downgrade to 25mb.

Any insight? `preciate it...

P.S: Going on 49 mins hold for 24 hour support. Lmao.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

Investigating it further for you now, I've replied to the thread.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 ... 28 · 29 · 30 · next