watch
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 ... 28 · 29 · 30 · next

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to pp1111

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

@pp111 - Okay, please let me know how the new modem goes. Hopefully the swap resolves the issue.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pp1111

join:2004-09-13
canada
reply to ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

@
@pp1111 - Have you tried bypassing your powerbar? if not we need to eliminate any poor power sources before proceeding. If so please contact me with your account details and we'll troubleshoot further.

Hi Sean,
Thanks very much for your reply, I did call TSR again on Sunday coz the modem rebooted 3 times in the weekend again. This time the TSR said he'll mail me a Cisco modem. Will update once I got the new modem.

btw, I did try to connect the modem direct to the wall and thr. a UPS as well but doesn't seems any different.

Hope I will receive the new modem and able to solve the problem =P

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@Karthanon - Like kevinds said, you'll have to get your friend who last hosted your email addresses to call in and authorize the transfer. Once that's done the account holder who'll be hosting your emails can get them transferred so they're active again.

@pp1111 - Have you tried bypassing your powerbar? if not we need to eliminate any poor power sources before proceeding. If so please contact me with your account details and we'll troubleshoot further.

@altaclip - Please pm me with your contact details and the best time to reach you.

@wheeled - have you contacted support yet regarding the issues you're having? if so what troubleshooting has been done so far?
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

Hey Everyone,

I've been away for 5 days, i'll try and answer everyone's questions today as quickly as possible. LOTS to catch up on.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to wheeled

Re: Gateway

said by wheeled:

Hi altaclip

Im in Edm as well. This new gateway is the worse piece of crap shaw has ever put out for users.

Running a Gateway and two Portals. below i have listed a few recurring problems with this POS.

1. sound and video dropouts
2. guide locks up
3. Black screen error that this show is no longer available
4. no signal,please check cable
5. sound and picture not synced
6. guide disappears and screen goes blank
7. guide stalls on scroll up and screen goes blank
8. cannot communicate with gateway error
9. screen goes blue and reboots
10. portal does not respond to remote when tasked

Please see my thread on Gateway first impressions, and respond to Sean's request for more information here in this thread »[ALL] Gateway First Impressions

wheeled

join:2004-12-31
Edmonton, AB
reply to altaclip

Hi altaclip

Im in Edm as well. This new gateway is the worse piece of crap shaw has ever put out for users.

Running a Gateway and two Portals. below i have listed a few recurring problems with this POS.

1. sound and video dropouts
2. guide locks up
3. Black screen error that this show is no longer available
4. no signal,please check cable
5. sound and picture not synced
6. guide disappears and screen goes blank
7. guide stalls on scroll up and screen goes blank
8. cannot communicate with gateway error
9. screen goes blue and reboots
10. portal does not respond to remote when tasked

altaclip

join:2011-11-14
reply to ShawSean

Hi Sean. I have Gateway & 3 Portals for 3+ weeks now (Edmt) and will be on my 4th service call including the setup this Wed.

My main problem is that at any given time 8-12 HD channels are missing. 3 diff types of error messages come up on the various HD channels:
1. to subscribe to this channel... (currently what I'm seeing on 220 TSN2, 227, 228, 232, 234). All channels that I do subscribe to.
2. This channel is not currently being broadcast, or there is a problem with receiving the signal. Please try another channel to verify that your signal is functioning properly and check yoru channel lineup to make sure this channel is being broadcast. (currently the problem with 231 HGTV, and 229 Hist)
3. One moment please: detecting signal. Please check your cable connection or call shaw at 1-888-472-2222. Currently the problem on 213 & 222.

Anyone else experiencing/experienced these types of problems?
How were they eventually fixed?

Several tech sessions on the phone and in person tech appts have confirmed strong signal strengths into my house and on a particular line. They also confirmed at the Fri Nov 11 visit that my hardware/splitters/setup was all done correctly.

Visit #2 replaced some of the initial setup saying it was not done correctly.
Very frustrated...
I read on another forum that someone had the same problem as me and it was the result of faulty tuner(s) in the Gateway.

Any thoughts?

Amar

join:2001-07-20
Surrey, BC
reply to Karthanon

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Karthanon, I'm in a similar situation, so let me know if you get it sorted.

PP

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Hi Sean,

My SMC modem will sudden self reboot once to few times a week (in bridge mode). Called Shaw many times in the past months but they said is extremely normal.
They have checked mt signal is good.
This happen since I use this SMC modem. I never have this problem with my old Motorola modem.

Many thanks for your help.

pp1111

join:2004-09-13
canada
reply to ShawSean

Hi Sean,

My SMC modem will sudden self reboot/power cycle once to few times a week (in bridge mode). Called/Chat with Shaw many times for months but they said is extremely normal. Emailed them but never got reply. They said my signal is good also.
I never have this problem with my old Motorola modem.

Many thanks inadvance.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to Karthanon

The email addresses are still on the system, on the account they were last on.

Not enough time has passed, for them to be deleted off the system to be reused by someone else.

Have to have the account holder, who had them on the last active account, contact Shaw, and release them, and have your current Shaw customer friend contact Shaw to take them onto their account.

It is not a matter of re-creating them, they need to be transfered. Logging in, and seeing your contact list, shows that they have not been deleted off the system.

Sean may be able to do this, but will need all the account details, or he'll have someone call you back But that is what needs to happen, and hopefully explains why it is not working for you.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

Karthanon

join:2007-01-12
Canada
reply to ShawSean

I just thought I would ask this question here - although I'm no longer a Shaw customer, I'm getting conflicting information from Level 1 support over the phone.

I was originally a Shaw customer using two emails - when I cancelled Shaw, I moved them over to my brother-in-law's Shaw account so I would still have access to my email. When he decided to cancel Shaw and switch to a different provider (months later), I moved all the registrations I had to different email addresses.

Unfortunately, I forgot two - Apple iTunes and Steam.

It's been a year now since my account was deactivated, and perhaps 3 months since my brother in law's account was deactivated. A friend with Shaw said he could enter my previous emails in (as he is only using 2 of his 10 allowable mails) so I could get access to these two again, and then reset passwords/change emails so this wouldn't happen again - however, he received an error trying to recreate them - he keeps getting a "User Name Not Available".

The strange thing is I can login to Shaw Webmail with both of my previous email addresses - but only get to the contacts section. So the ID's are technically still 'there', from what I can see.

I can show that the email accounts were originally set upon my account, and then moved to my brother in laws - is there any way that they can get fully removed/deleted so I can recreate them again?

I'm not expecting anyone at Shaw to give a dang - but I'm hopeful something could be figured out.

Help!

saberon

join:2011-05-27
reply to ShawSean

Ah! I read that thread on NCIX, semp! =)

Sean is awesome and he'll get you sorted out, just fire him a PM with the requested info. (I like to use Speedtest.net vancouver server, it's always very accurate for me at least (in AB))

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@semp - If you can pm me the information I've requested those with connection issues above, I'll take a look into it for you.

Cheers
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

Semp

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Hey Sean,

I just switched from Telus to Shaw for internet, and chose you're new Broadband 50 plan. My download speeds are decent (35mb/s) but my upload speeds are absolutly horrible (0.5mb/s at best) I can get better upload speeds on the Telus 3G network on my iPhone... A member of a PC forum thought I should post here and ask you before calling Shaw directly.

Thanks.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@tlcscousin - We'll be calling all of our Salmon Arm customers before any account changeovers are done. For now you're still on the old Sun Country system so there's nothing I know yet until the changes are completed. If you do require technical/account assistance, you can pm me your account details and i'll have a local Salmon Arm rep contact you.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to tlcscousin

You should probably contact Shaw imho to get a better package if you have tv, internet, and/or phone for a better price most likely. Although most likely you will get auto upgraded and pay the same pricing + November Price Increases for un-bundled internet.

tlcscousin

join:2008-09-19
reply to ShawSean

Salmon Arm BC apparently we start the Shaw Internet the end of November. I currently have the old service providers 15 MB service (extreme), will this get bumped to the 25mb service automatically?I also see a drop in speeds at night some nights as if the node has a small issue but will have to wait until we are totally on the shaw system to troubleshoot.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

Hey everyone,

So I've been receiving a lot of pm's recently due to poor speeds with bb50+ connections. I just ask that people provide the proper information first so I can better assist.

Please make sure these steps have been completed and following information is provided:

-bypass any 3rd party hardware
-complete 3 separate speeds tests while directly connected
-ph# or account number
-best time to contact you

This is much appreciated!

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

I won't have anything for you until Nick returns from holidays
(mid Nov.). It looks like he was investigating the issue. I'll post my findings when he returns.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

ShawSean, can you please provide us with an update about "Error Checking on the SMC" »Shaw data corruption (was: Error Checking on the SMC?) and where the investigation by Shaw has lead and if there is a solution available? I believe at one point you and your team commented in the thread about per suing an investigation. We are looking to get at the root of the cause of the issue and solve it. Plenty of data in the thread is available to your engineers and admins if they actually read the thread as to where to start.

Hank Bonn

@shawcable.net
reply to Doonz

I agree with you Doonz. Rusty Dusty should not say a thing if it is NOT positive !

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

@tlhIngan - If you guys have any suggestions on how we can improve the guide functionality. please send them and your account details to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. It's your suggestions that help guide(no pun intended) our decision making when improving our current products/services.

It's less about the guide, and more about the UI in general. The guide's OK, sort of, but the UI just irks me because it's quite complex. I suppose one way would be to license the TiVo OCAP software, but there's still the problem that the box feels very sluggish and unresponsive.

And no proper season passes or wishlists (e.g., my TiVo will catch all new episodes of Mythbusters and skip repeats, if I tell it to, or it can record repeats, but only once so if they show up 10 times in a week, it's recorded once).

The best option though would be to use CableCARDs - which have been around in the US for 5 years now. The whole purpose of which lets Shaw secure the signal, but lets users pick their cablebox. If you want TiVo, you get TiVo. If you want Moxi, you get Moxi. If you want Windows Media Center, you get WMC. Or if you just want a TV and no boxes making a mess, they have TVs with CableCARD built in (no different than when they had regular analog cable).

And yes, each CableCARD is treated as the same as a digital box - so Shaw still collects the $3/month per CableCARD. The other benefit is the users who buy these things are all technically knowledgeable since they have to import this equipment at the moment.

crazyea

join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

The metaphor we've thrown around this forums is about riding a bike all the time, or driving a sports car, but getting caught in traffic during rush hour. Some folks would rather ride a bike. Others would rather rip around in their sports car.

Yeh, except that Shaw isnt advertising a fast car. In your scenario they are advertising the autobahn and only letting smart cars on between 5 and 12 each night.

JerryC88

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

hi Sean

yes i've tested it at different hours using Pingtest.net as well as ShawSpeedTest (direct connection always, i turned off wireless)
it seems to get worse now

here are some numbers:

when it seem normal - 18ms (jitter 8ms)

4am in morning - 16ms (jitter 5ms)
in the afternoons - 40ms (jitter 10ms)
evening to around 1am - 80ms (jitter 60ms)
weekend evenings - 130ms (jitter 90ms)

at problematic times the ping results go up and down and are not consistent everytime.
but when i get normal ping the test result are consistent (+-4ms)

any help? =)

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to pkarlos_76

There used to be Discovery, then it was swapped for Discovery World, or whatever it is now. For a couple months, was able to watch MythBusters in HD, no idea why it was removed.

Space won't come until Shaw removes the 85% or more content must be in HD. Space's HD programming, isn't much HD content, it would be nice, only because I don't get Space in SD.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

Any idea or if its being worked on when we are getting a HD version of channel 32 and 43 i.e. Space and Discovery that is constantly being advertised on those channels. While there are discovery hd channels in the lineup, none are a HD duplicate of channels 32 or 43.

Oh and btw my PVR failed to record the NEW Merlin TV show episode on Saturday Season 4 Episode 5.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@ravenchilde - Well said sir.

@JerryC88 - I've definitely encountered problems like that before. Are you able to attach or link some speeds test while directly connected to the modem at the problematic times?

@tlhIngan - If you guys have any suggestions on how we can improve the guide functionality. please send them and your account details to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. It's your suggestions that help guide(no pun intended) our decision making when improving our current products/services.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

wheeled

join:2004-12-31
Edmonton, AB
reply to tlhIngan

+1 @ tlhIngan

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

So while your situation doesn't sound great at the moment, at least you know that over the next 16 months Shaw is working hard to upgrade their network and remove analog channels to make room for faster internet.

Bleh. I hope Shaw fixes their third-party box support then - those cableboxes are really a huge POS with UIs that seem more attuned to a rocket scientist than someone who just wants to watch TV. Or support CableCARD.

You know it's bad when it's easier to just torrent the TV show than to fight the damn cablebox.
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 ... 28 · 29 · 30 · next