Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to ShawSean

Premium Member

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Active-Sync I never saw coming at all.

That will be nice (As long as using Outlook or Exchange enabled clients)

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
said by pkarlos_76:

Is Shaw gonna give us IMAP Mail access for Residential customers in the future?

We're actually using exchange mail access (active-sync) which has even more features than IMAP.

You'll first need to upgrade your account to webmail 2.0 here:

»wmbeta.shaw.ca/

Then after your accounts been upgraded start using the new system. The mail server information is: wm.shaw.ca

Cheers.
ShawSean

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
@pkarlos_76 - Let me try and find out for you.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Is Shaw gonna give us IMAP Mail access for Residential customers in the future?

ShawCableGuy
@shawcable.net

ShawCableGuy to crazyea

Anon

to crazyea
Hi crazyea,

I absolutely agree with you, and am surprised that wasn't done. Normally when the work order is verified with the customer on the phone and the appointment being booked, the csr is supposed to let customers know what the cod will be. It could be that you got a newer csr, or one that forgot, or it might be that the call center is so busy that they are rushing and steps get missed.

Appologizes for the inconvenience this has brought you.

crazyea
join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC

crazyea to ShawCableGuy

to ShawCableGuy
Thanks for the response, but they should really be clearer about it.

The phone rep should mention this, and the installer should tell us what it is for.

Both my sister and myself were just told "we are supposed to collect $50".

ShawCableGuy
@shawcable.net

ShawCableGuy to kevinds

Anon

to kevinds
Gateway comes with complimentary install, so you are paying your first months service at is in 1 month in advance billing.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to crazyea

Premium Member

to crazyea
I've heard of being asked for first month's service, all service billed in advanced...

And/or payment for purchased hardware.

No idea why $50 though, that doesn't make sense to me, maybe someone else can chime in

crazyea
Surrey, BC

crazyea to ShawSean

to ShawSean
When I signed up for the gateway package (phone/internet/tv) , I was never informed the installer would request a $50 fee. I declined it since it was never mentioned to me prior, and the installer didnt force it on me after that.

Here's the thing, I just referred my sister to the gateway package and the installer asked them for that $50 fee. They are new to shaw and obviously had all 3 services installed at the same time.

I thought shaw never asked for any fees when doing installs. I certainly wasnt told about it by shaw prior and neither was my sister.

What gives?
ainrue
join:2011-11-30
Vancouver, BC

ainrue to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Just thought I'd share my pain since I can't even play battlefield or have a skype call tonight:
»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5553.png

Got any new info for me Sean? I've been going over all the details of both techs coming out to my place. The one curious thing is that the first tech said I was written down as BB50 in the account settings, while the billing had me down as BB100.

When I look at the graphs shown by the shaw speed test, its curious (and perhaps just coincidence) that the graph, when not completely saturated like tonight, will seem to bounce off the barriers of one of the other accounts as if I was paying for lite or some other tier of service.

crazyea
Surrey, BC

crazyea to ShawCableGuy

to ShawCableGuy
On Telus you just pay a pro-rated amount for the price of the gift if you cancel early. No different than Shaw.

ShawCableGuy
@shawcable.net

ShawCableGuy to ShawCableGuy

Anon

to ShawCableGuy
It can also be looked at this way.

If you default on a telus contract, are you able to give back the gift(xbox) to avoid paying? Don't think so.

With The visa card if a customer decides to leave and they don't use the card then there is no loss or gain as you would return the card back, and not have to pay anything out of pocket.

Hence this can't be classified as a contract.
ShawCableGuy

ShawCableGuy to crazyea

Anon

to crazyea
I would argue that it isn't a contract. It's More of a way to entice people to switch.

With telus, you are locked in a cotract for both service and the subsidized gift. If you decide to leave, you pay back for the xbox, plus a penality every month remaining on service left within the terms of the contract.

With shaw you can leave at anytime without penalty on the service however if you spend the visa card, the money must be returned back if leaving withing that 6 month period.

That is where it differs.

crazyea
Surrey, BC

crazyea to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
Telus has locked people into contracts using an xbox 360 or a laptop/netbook. People have been saying "Stay away from Telus" for this very reason. If you left Telus early you have to reimburse them for the item you received.

It clearly states on Shaw's homepage that you need to keep the services for 6 months or you owe Shaw for the giftcards.

Is this not the same thing?

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to crazyea

to crazyea
Huh.....What do you mean?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to tlcscousin

to tlcscousin
Nodes should be physically wired to separate cards/ports. They shouldn't be able to jump, that defies physics. What you are describing is confusing.

crazyea
Surrey, BC

crazyea to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
said by pkarlos_76:

"Add superior TV with more HD, Internet, and Home Phone.
Each service is just $19.95/month** for 3 months. Every
Shaw service you add between December 1st and
December 23rd gets you a free $100 Visa®Prepaid Card."

So when do us loyal customers get our rewards for our patience???

I understood that Shaw was never supposed to have contracts. Now they lock you in for 6 months with these gift cards. lol.
tlcscousin
join:2008-09-19

tlcscousin to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
its not just my node rumor has it everyones modem is jumping on same card on cmts and they say 14 days to fix which is not really acceptible.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to tlcscousin

to tlcscousin
The good news is that it is probably a bug. Unlikely Shaw would have changed your nodes to have more customers. Probably just growing pains, these systems are complicated, but it will get sorted.
tlcscousin
join:2008-09-19

tlcscousin to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Salmon Arm BC apparently Internet went on Shaw service yesterday my 15/1 service is dropped tonight to 0.99/0.5 and apparently we get the chance for the 50 service level but if this is what we get on 15 what can we expect on the 50? Have 4 other people at work getting the same thing since yesterday works fine in the day 15/1 at 8 am 9/.05 at 430pm but hit 6pm 0.99/.05 and down it goes. Not a good start with the Shaw service.
eldiabloxxx
join:2011-12-01

eldiabloxxx to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hello.
I JUST got Broadband 50 from Shaw. The speed test at shaw's website shows 26 mbps. I only have one laptop in the house.

Previously, the Extreme internet also showed only around 1/2 the speed (~13-15 mbps).

The guy installing today said that the cable and splitting is fine and that people usually get the speed I am getting"

I don't think he is right because I know people who get around or over 40 mbps with this.

I am from Edmonton btw.

Anything I can do? Should I call shaw or are there things I can do to improve speed?

The new modem btw is this new wireless modem from the company called "SMC"

Help would be appriciated! Thanks.
ainrue
Vancouver, BC

ainrue to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Thanks Sean,

Anecdotally, I tried to play MW3 on launch day and that was the worst I have ever seen the network. It has gotten a bit better since then, but I am 90% certain that this has got to be a saturation issue. Just not sure how the lines can be saturated nearly 24/7 as I have never seen 100Mbit service, and haven't even seen 50+ in a while.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
Next week, I'll have more details for you then

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
"Add superior TV with more HD, Internet, and Home Phone.
Each service is just $19.95/month** for 3 months. Every
Shaw service you add between December 1st and
December 23rd gets you a free $100 Visa®Prepaid Card."

So when do us loyal customers get our rewards for our patience???

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@ainrue - The frustrations pretty understandable, considering you're not getting what you're paying for. I'm looking into things a bit more to see if there's anything else that can be done.

@Zellyn - sounds like your connection is fine. I'd do some further troubleshooting on your computer. Can you try rebooting your computer in safe mode w/ networking and running the speedtests again? also ensure you're directly connected.

Zellyn
@shawcable.net

Zellyn to Zellyn

Anon

to Zellyn
So I directly connected my modem to my computer and now I'm getting around 45mbps on Shaw's speed test ( »speedtest.shaw.ca/run ), but I can't even actually connect to speedtest.net anymore because the page just won't load completely. I can access a number of different sites with great speeds, but others are just unbearably slow. Pretty much every game I've tried has between 1 and 5 seconds of lag.
ainrue
Vancouver, BC

ainrue to Cornat

to Cornat
Not to sound all high and mighty, but honestly, as the consumer, I shouldn't have to care if its as complex as defusing an atomic bomb, or if it requires 100 man hours to complete. They advertised and sold me a service which they cannot supply or support.

The best part is that they won't admit that they can't offer it, they just take my money. They've offered the idea of a refund, but wont credit my account until the problem gets resolved. I have this sinking feeling that once (if?) that day comes, they'll conveniently forget about the prommises, or tell me that only a percentage is able to be credited blah blah blah. Call me a pessimist, but I just had this run-around with Rogers over my cellphone bill and frankly I'm exhausted with having to deal with it all.

I am looking forward to the 250+, but to have to wait another 9 months while paying for 100Mbps and getting 0.5-3Mbps on average is infuriating.

Right now I'm trying to grab a damn video from a client that's around 100 MB in size and I see ...about an hour remaining and my blood is beginning to boil.

Imagine driving a porsche in Toronto and loving it (rogers, 50 Mbit at the time). Now imagine buying that same porsche in Vancouver. I've paid for the porsche, yet its got the pep of a toyota echo, and the reliability of an old fiat. Also, every time you drive that it you hope it catches on fire so that you can finally get rid of it.

This is what I feel like.

(yes, i mad, bro)
Cornat
join:2011-10-17
Kelowna, BC

Cornat to ainrue

to ainrue
said by ainrue:

After trying to reason with him that since the 250+ rollout is an unknown date, that I'd like to have this splice done. He eventually told me that he would not book a tech to do this temporary fix.

When I asked for a better ETA (ballpark of course) on the 250 rollout, he said that he hadn't heard anything about UBC (my) area, so its likely that it will be in the new year, "before august, certainly."

"splitting a node" takes alot more than just booking a tech. They can't just tell the tech to go split it, it's not like adding a coaxial splitter in your home lol. Things will get worse before they get better. BB250 is gonna be like getting that sticker and sucker after getting your shot.
ainrue
Vancouver, BC

ainrue to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Me again!

Got a phone call this evening from a shaw rep (forgot to get his name) who was very polite. He ran some tests and told me what I already knew ("levels look good from here" and "you should be getting higher speeds than that")

He investigated the speeds in the area and said that there wasn't enough saturation to be causing this much of an issue. "You should be seeing 100Mbps in the mornings at least"

We chatted about the splicing solution which he said was a temporary fix, and that it would interrupt the progress on the big 250 rollout. (Even though my internet is practically unusable, I'm impeding their progress.

After trying to reason with him that since the 250+ rollout is an unknown date, that I'd like to have this splice done. He eventually told me that he would not book a tech to do this temporary fix.

When I asked for a better ETA (ballpark of course) on the 250 rollout, he said that he hadn't heard anything about UBC (my) area, so its likely that it will be in the new year, "before august, certainly."

This is insane. I need better support than this! I appreciate that shaw is busy trying to improve their network, but waiting until august will mean living with this incredibly unreliable internet service for an entire year.

I asked for any sort of next steps or ETA to solve my problem "you'll just have to wait and see" was the senior tech's advice. No deliverables, no timelines, no next steps.

I was basically told to just deal with it, and of course, because shaw owns the only network in my area, that really is my only option. (that, and complain on internet forums.)

There has to be something, some sort of avenue that hasn't been explored, that can be done about this...

Zellyn
@shawcable.net

Zellyn to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
I'm in the Victoria area and right now my download speed is atrociously bad, sitting around 300 kbps from various speedtest.net tests. My upload is completely normal at around 3mpbs so I have no idea what's going on.

Also, incidentally, I was upgraded to 50mpbs last week and I didn't notice much of a change at all from the regular broadband I had before. I figured 50mbps was an exaggeration, but based on old speedtest.net logs my download speed has only gone from 17-18mbps to around 20mbps.