share rss forum feed view:
watch
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30 · next

JerryC88

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

hi Sean

yes i've tested it at different hours using Pingtest.net as well as ShawSpeedTest (direct connection always, i turned off wireless)
it seems to get worse now

here are some numbers:

when it seem normal - 18ms (jitter 8ms)

4am in morning - 16ms (jitter 5ms)
in the afternoons - 40ms (jitter 10ms)
evening to around 1am - 80ms (jitter 60ms)
weekend evenings - 130ms (jitter 90ms)

at problematic times the ping results go up and down and are not consistent everytime.
but when i get normal ping the test result are consistent (+-4ms)

any help? =)

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to pkarlos_76

There used to be Discovery, then it was swapped for Discovery World, or whatever it is now. For a couple months, was able to watch MythBusters in HD, no idea why it was removed.

Space won't come until Shaw removes the 85% or more content must be in HD. Space's HD programming, isn't much HD content, it would be nice, only because I don't get Space in SD.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

Any idea or if its being worked on when we are getting a HD version of channel 32 and 43 i.e. Space and Discovery that is constantly being advertised on those channels. While there are discovery hd channels in the lineup, none are a HD duplicate of channels 32 or 43.

Oh and btw my PVR failed to record the NEW Merlin TV show episode on Saturday Season 4 Episode 5.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to ShawSean

@ravenchilde - Well said sir.

@JerryC88 - I've definitely encountered problems like that before. Are you able to attach or link some speeds test while directly connected to the modem at the problematic times?

@tlhIngan - If you guys have any suggestions on how we can improve the guide functionality. please send them and your account details to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. It's your suggestions that help guide(no pun intended) our decision making when improving our current products/services.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

wheeled

join:2004-12-31
Edmonton, AB
reply to tlhIngan

+1 @ tlhIngan

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to ravenchilde

said by ravenchilde:

So while your situation doesn't sound great at the moment, at least you know that over the next 16 months Shaw is working hard to upgrade their network and remove analog channels to make room for faster internet.

Bleh. I hope Shaw fixes their third-party box support then - those cableboxes are really a huge POS with UIs that seem more attuned to a rocket scientist than someone who just wants to watch TV. Or support CableCARD.

You know it's bad when it's easier to just torrent the TV show than to fight the damn cablebox.

JerryC88

@shawcable.net
reply to pcguy

hi sean
i have a latency problem right now, just want to see if you encountered it before:

i live in Richmond BC (on Granville/Garden City area)
its a new apartment, still people moving in.
during 5pm - 1am high traffic hours, my ping start to wobble SEVERELY on PingTest ....it gets 90ms ping with 70ms jitter... in a few cases (during late night) i got upwards of 300ms and have packet loss on pingtest
up and down speed also drops, sometimes just stay flat at the bottom of my plan (Highspeed....on Shaw Speedtest)

this is very annoying since it makes my BF3 completely unplayable (i have also tested on other first person shooters so its not my computers problem, and it seems to go away during low traffic hours). what i experience ingame is after moving a few step foward, the server still thinks i was at my last location so it moves me back. So im just running around jittery like that all over the place.

It also seems the problem increases when connecting to USA servers.

thx for the help, let me know if you heard of this before

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to glombica

said by glombica:

two year old neighbourhood.. what a joke. The tech that came out told me that most of the resources are being put towards the analogue switch.. so node splitting is on the back burner it seems. I'm on extreme so i have a docsis 2.0 modem.. which means channel bonding wont help me one bit.

Just a couple points of discussion. The age of your neighborhood has no impact on how popular the service is. In fact if Shaw has a promo with the builder(s) then it could even make Shaw more popular than normal. Extra channels added during the analog upgrade will actually help you. DOCSIS allows your modem to move to a less used channel even if you aren't bonding, so the analog channel removal happening will help you out when more channels are added and modems are distributed across. Channel bonding's advantage is putting frames on multiple channels at a time allowing a modem to exceed the approx 40mbps DOCSIS channel speed.

As we've discussed before in other threads of this forum on the pro's and con's of a high-speed but shared-access system like cable is that at some point (in a normal world) you can get speeds MUCH faster than DSL (100, 250, etc). However, the con is that your access is contention-based where you are competing with other subscribers on the same node during 'peak' hours, when everyone is home from work and browsing/emailing/netflixing/downloading/youtubing/torrenting.

The metaphor we've thrown around this forums is about riding a bike all the time, or driving a sports car, but getting caught in traffic during rush hour. Some folks would rather ride a bike. Others would rather rip around in their sports car.

So while your situation doesn't sound great at the moment, at least you know that over the next 16 months Shaw is working hard to upgrade their network and remove analog channels to make room for faster internet.

As always I recommend folks read about DOCSIS from Ars Technica "The unsung hero of high speed internet"

»arstechnica.com/business/news/20···cess.ars

»arstechnica.com/business/news/20···o-30.ars

pcguy

join:1999-10-15
Winnipeg, MB
reply to ShawSean

Thanks Sean. Will see if my frustration levels decrease.

glombica

join:2011-10-16
t6t0n3
reply to ShawSean

i had a shaw tech come out on wednesday to see what was up with my connection. low and behold, the node in my area is saturated. I heard the conversation.

"from about noon to 3 am there is barely anything left"

two year old neighbourhood.. what a joke. The tech that came out told me that most of the resources are being put towards the analogue switch.. so node splitting is on the back burner it seems. I'm on extreme so i have a docsis 2.0 modem.. which means channel bonding wont help me one bit.

When i called last week and said hey.. i have half the speed of extreme which is basically around regular high speed speeds. If i switch to regular high speed will i get high speed or pretty much half of what i should be getting..?? CSR reply " pretty much half"

so what do i need to do to actualyl get the speeds i'm paying for?
when the tech pulled out his laptop and did a speed test he said.."this is disgusting" when i asked him why he is using the www.terago.ca speedtest.. "this is what we were told to use"

why not your own speedtest ?

"its finiky at best"
i dont know whether to laugh or cry.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to pcguy

said by pcguy:

Tues night after midnight I lost all internet requiring a power cycle of the modem. Around 3PM Wed I lost internet again although this time I did not have to power cycle the modem. When I went to use the computer this morning Oct 27th, at 8AM the internet was down requiring the 2nd power cycling of the modem.

Also it has been 2 days since the analog channels were supposedly removed here in Wpg which was suppose to fix the crappy primetime speeds here. Well it is 00:30AM Friday and this is an example of Shaw Extreme speeds:

»www.speedtest.net/result/1559655950.png »www.speedtest.net/result/1559656470.png

This has been going on since at least May or June and was only recently confirmed by Shaw that indeed this node does have congestion. How much longer Shaw do I have to put up with this?

Working on it now, I'll be in touch shortly.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to kevinds

PPV is not available on the Shaw Total Home Gateway it appears, it refers you to Shaw VOD

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to pkarlos_76

The best way is ordering via PPV at a cost of $5.99 for the HD new releases, and I can record them, and watch whenever instead of just for 24 hours.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

pcguy

Winnipeg, MB

4 edits
reply to ShawSean

Tues night after midnight I lost all internet requiring a power cycle of the modem. Around 3PM Wed I lost internet again although this time I did not have to power cycle the modem. When I went to use the computer this morning Oct 27th, at 8AM the internet was down requiring the 2nd power cycling of the modem.

Also it has been 2 days since the analog channels were supposedly removed here in Wpg which was suppose to fix the crappy primetime speeds here. Well it is 00:30AM Friday and this is an example of Shaw Extreme speeds:

»www.speedtest.net/result/1559655950.png »www.speedtest.net/result/1559656470.png

This has been going on since at least May or June and was only recently confirmed by Shaw that indeed this node does have congestion. How much longer Shaw do I have to put up with this?

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to pkarlos_76

said by pkarlos_76:

When is Shaw going to lower the price on its HD Movies from 7.99 to a more competitive pricing in the industry? For example for the same movie on Shaw, Apple offers the HD rental for $5.99. I was considering purchasing it from Shaw but after seeing the price I went directly to my Apple TV.

P.S. I am referring to new releases BTW!

Good suggestion, would you mind emailing those comments to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca w/ your account number or ph#?

Thanks.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pcguy

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
reply to ShawSean

pls delete

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

When is Shaw going to lower the price on its HD Movies from 7.99 to a more competitive pricing in the industry? For example for the same movie on Shaw, Apple offers the HD rental for $5.99. I was considering purchasing it from Shaw but after seeing the price I went directly to my Apple TV.

P.S. I am referring to new releases BTW!

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean

Thanks Sean, as always! Appreciate everything you do for us.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to Doonz

said by Doonz:

So any update on enabling the ports on the gateway for network streaming of content?

Edit: Any ETA on the 250 rollout to my town?

Nothing yet on either of those questions Doonz, Trust me, as soon as I hear more about the network upgrades, i'll be happy to share with you guys.

Cheers
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

pkarlos_76

Edmonton, AB
reply to Doonz

said by Doonz:

said by rustydusty:

Read the website.

Broadband 250 and Unlimited 250 packages are currently available in Ironwood, Cranbrook, Okotoks, St. Albert, Airdrie, Selkirk and
Squamish, with many additional markets coming soon. By Fall 2012 these services will be available to the majority of Shaw customers.

FALL 2012 it will available virtually everywhere. Until then, check the website. They will be posting newer areas on the website same time Sean hears about it. He has enough on the go, harassing him on when more areas will be available is a waste.

Thanx Boss, You should go take some midol!

How about you take take some ex lax and relax, he was right in what he said.

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean

Learn to read, ladies .

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Read the website.

Broadband 250 and Unlimited 250 packages are currently available in Ironwood, Cranbrook, Okotoks, St. Albert, Airdrie, Selkirk and
Squamish, with many additional markets coming soon. By Fall 2012 these services will be available to the majority of Shaw customers.

FALL 2012 it will available virtually everywhere. Until then, check the website. They will be posting newer areas on the website same time Sean hears about it. He has enough on the go, harassing him on when more areas will be available is a waste.

Thanx Boss, You should go take some midol!

rustydusty

Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean

Read the website.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to ShawSean

So any update on enabling the ports on the gateway for network streaming of content?

Edit: Any ETA on the 250 rollout to my town?

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

Anytime!

bisk

join:2002-06-15
Binbrook, ON
reply to ShawSean

Thanks for getting back to me Sean.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to bisk

@bisk - Looks like it'll be early next year, as the billing system needs to be converted from the old Mountain Cable installation. There are several technical obstacles we're facing as well, so we appreciate your patience during this conversion.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

bisk

join:2002-06-15
Binbrook, ON
reply to ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

@bisk - I'm making some inquiries so I can hopefully shed more light on what's happening in Hamilton.

Any updates on the situation in Hamilton? I'd really like to know why it's taking so long for them to completely integrate with Shaw and when we might expect to finally be able get the Gateways.

Thanks

Laird

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Everything has returned to normal, appears it was a pretty wide spread network outage. Thanks at least making the attempt at customer service.:)

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@glombica - Pm me your details and the best time to reach you and we'll investigate the issue.

@crazyea - I agree, also send me your account details and best time to connect.

@Laird - Like the others above you, please pm me.

@cslusarc - The phone hold times are something we're very aware of and working hard towards lowering. As for the programming situation you described, i'm not sure if it was an error, but I do apologize for the programming interruption. If something like this happens again, please pm me closer to the date it occurred and i'll investigate further.

@nidx - please pm me w/ your details and best time to contact you.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 · 28 · 29 · 30 · next