share rss forum feed view:
watch
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

detoam

join:2008-02-19
Campbell River, BC
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

I know you have been asked this before, but I will ask again. Is Shaw going to raise the upload speeds?

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
reply to JohnH1
It will be the same cable coming from the street, and split to the upstairs and basement
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

JohnH1

@telus.net
reply to kevinds
Can two Shaw accounts run across the same coaxial cable or will I need to pull another cable?

The basement is being rented out and they are using Shaw for TV.

The whole house is wired for Cable/Ethernet and everything goes back to the closet. Their connection goes from the basement up to the closet, connects to another coaxial cable in the closet that goes outside the side of the house, down a conduit all the way to the garage into the smart panel.

There's a spare coax from the closet to the side of the house but terminates there. There's a fishing line in the conduit from the house to the garage so I could pull an extra coax cable and connect it to the spare coax. But is it necessary or is it all going to travel down the same line anyways?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to 18286719
I've been getting conflicting responces from Shaw lately, Phase 2 is now removing all the analog stations, not just the Tiers
--

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
reply to jtl999
+1 but more specifically, where is my bb250, phase 2 is already done here lol
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to Shaw_Alex
4) Wheres my Phase 2?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to gitaroo
That's been there since last January

gitaroo

join:2010-08-03
reply to ShawSean
I saw "Subject to Bump-up‡."

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to gitaroo
Not seeing anything that indicates that... Other than the + plans are also listed with the non-plus plan (on the same page)
--

gitaroo

reply to ShawSean
the new plans looks like bump up program is in place now?

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
reply to Shaw_Alex
said by Shaw_Alex:

1) Bandwidth transfer costs more than pennies. You are paying for the delivery system, not just the cost of data. Apples grow on trees, yet they cost money at the grocery store. It's the delivery of services you are paying for. Costs continue to go up for many reasons, including of course inflation.

so basically shaw is saying ," were cheap and we dont wanna upgrade people untill we rip them off for a bit to make up for the cash were gonna loose". that is called the cost of business, shaw cant jack prices just because telus's superior plans and pricing is forcing them to roll out upgrades sooner, you need to spend money to make money, not jack customers up to makeup for the money your about to loose, these raised prices would not be necessary if shaw didnt waste money on stupid shit like shaw go wifi, so were basically paying for that
--
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

AmRoD11

@shawcable.net
reply to Shaw_Alex
@Shaw_Alex
What happened to Unlimited 100 and 250?

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1
reply to Gotspeed
Hopefully I can provide some insight to your questions.

1) Bandwidth transfer costs more than pennies. You are paying for the delivery system, not just the cost of data. Apples grow on trees, yet they cost money at the grocery store. It's the delivery of services you are paying for. Costs continue to go up for many reasons, including of course inflation.

2) The network is a vast and growing system. Some areas are under more stress than others. If you are in an area that is experiencing issues, we will need to expand our resources for that section. Remember the internet is built on physical connections. When you connect to the internet in your home, that connection was built over years and years of expansions and upgrades to keep up with the latest technology. When demand increases, all of those parts need to change and upgrade to meet the new needs. In some cases entire roads need to be dug up to replace cables or investments in equipment worth hundreds of thousands of dollars need to be purchased to upgrade an area. It is a very expensive and time consuming business.

3) Similar to question 1, the demand for more data and faster speeds requires constant investment and resources. Our internet product has evolved constantly over the last 5 years that I have been with Shaw. When I started, 7.5mbps download speeds were the standard and now we are seeing 50mbps become a regular package. You may not notice it every day, but your internet connection is constantly improving and it's incredible.

I hope that helps.

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
reply to ShawSean
Shaw_Alex,

1) Is Shaw's internet only for the Rich with your new pricing on packages? how can anyone with an average income pay for your internet? Can you explain the logic with these prices, as per bandwidth transfer costs are just pennies?

2)Has Shaw maxed out it's network, considering the problems implementing broadband 250mbps even after neighborhoods completed the dnu for phase 2? This is what I've been told by one of your frustrated Foreman's, Hence the slow implementation of services for broadband 250, frustrating many that have been promised by certain dates

3)Can you explain the annual increase on package prices and when asked why, saying they are for network upgrades but yet we don't see them or benefit from them? Only a lighter wallet.

AmRoD11

@shawcable.net
reply to Doonz
What happened to Unlimited 100 and 250?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to ShawSean
So,

Any explanation on the new packages and their ridiculous pricing?

Crunchyfrog

join:2006-05-04
Nanaimo, BC
reply to ShawSean
What does it feel like "Sean"?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to gitaroo
Don't worry about it, there is no bump-up program yet, and if you are only going over by that much, bandwidth team shouldn't be bothering you
--

gitaroo

reply to kevinds
no I mean going over by 10 gb.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to gitaroo
No, no bump up program yet.

10 gb this month? Thats nothing... I think 100 mbps plan starts at 500GB
--

gitaroo

reply to ShawSean
Hi, has shaw started enforcing the bump up program yet if you go over your monthly bandwidth? I think I might hit over 10 gig this month, just curious. From Edmonton Alberta with bb100 btw if that makes any difference.

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to BxB
According to »www.shaw.ca/terms-of-use/

Traffic Management Policies
Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to BxB
said by BxB:

Shaw_Alex:

Please give me a straight answer as whether Shaw throttles torrent traffic?

They Throttle traffic on congested nodes. Its in their TOC's please read them

BxB

join:2006-01-16
k1r5d6
reply to Shaw_Alex
Shaw_Alex:

Please give me a straight answer as whether Shaw throttles torrent traffic?
Expand your moderator at work

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

join:2010-12-16
kudos:1
reply to Zhand

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

Hi Zhand,
I would recommend contacting a support agent via our regular support channels, Facebook (www.Facebook.com/Shaw) or Twitter (www.twitter.com/Shawhelp) for immediate assistance.

Zhand

@rsac.com
reply to ShawSean
Is the shaw service down in Edmonton Area August 19, we have no phone/internet or cable
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next