Search similar:

uniqs
adiabatic
join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

adiabatic to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

@ShawSean: Is there a date for Phase 2 upgrades in View Royal (Victoria)? The PDF on the Shaw site only indicates dates for a couple of areas of Victoria.
Karyudo
join:2011-03-01

Karyudo to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Sean,

An article by Gillian Shaw in the Vancouver Sun on September 14 said, "[Shaw company president Peter] Bissonnette points out that the company has never sold televisions although it provides cable service, so it’s not about to get into the business of selling devices to access its network."

While Mr. Bissonnette apparently conveniently forgets that Shaw obviously DOES sell (as a monopolistic provider, no less) the cable boxes and PVRs needed to access the cable TV network, does this new "we're not in the hardware business" attitude mean that perhaps I'll soon be able to eschew the Shaw PVR or gateway solution and buy a Ceton 4-tuner CableCard solution for my Windows Media Center PC?!

The latest Motorola boxen I've seen (specifically the DCX-3200 and DCX-3400) have a CableCard M-card in them, so presumably it's technically feasible that one could build a 7MC box that could work with Shaw cable?

Got any insights??

fedup123
@shawcable.net

fedup123

Anon

99% of the time I am happy with Shaw service but the last week has been a nightmare. Had 50% packet loss on Monday, which cost me a lot of money and headache in my home business. Tech support takes hours to get through on the phone. When you finally get through, they give you bs answers about "working on it" and when asked for any definitive timelines has no answer.

For the past few days I've had ping in the hundreds of ms. This makes work and gaming impossible. I might as well switch to dialup since it'll be much cheaper and at least i'll get what i'm paying for. I've already hooked up Telus dsl and will be cancelling Shaw if this doesn't get resolved very very soon.
ErikRP
join:2004-11-06
Winnipeg, MB

ErikRP to ShawSean

to ShawSean
What the heck has happened to Shaw's Customer Service?

I had to call the other day for a billing question. I found out that I can't speak to someone on the phone until after 9 a.m. Winnipeg time. I'm sure it was at least 8 if not 7 a.m. just a few months ago.

Yesterday mid-afternoon my internet goes down. I tried to call Shaw and the recording said I could expect a wait time of "1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours 39 minutes." To report an outage?! "Thankfully" I found out that a friend of mine was also out in her neighbourhood which meant it wasn't just me and the problem was reasonably widespread. But if it was just me, or just my street, it might have been half a day or more before Shaw found out about the problem and tried to resolve.

So I ask again, what happened? Has Shaw really taken on that many new customers? Are there that many problems occurring that are swamping the phone lines? Or has Shaw cut back on the number of frontline CSRs? Or is it a combination of the above?
scouzer
join:2007-10-15
Schenectady, NY

scouzer

This is the new standard wait time for Shaw Erik. Welcome to the party.
edwardxin
join:2011-09-17

edwardxin to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi,

im currently on telus, thinking to have shaw for better speed. However, im in high rise apartment which is not good for cable service.
i have tried shaw about 6 months ago. i had to cancle my service with shaw becuase for a 50MB plan i can get only about 10-25MB download.

Could you please tell me the avg speed of shaw today for builing :7555 alderbridge way, richmond, bc.
becuase i really dont wanna try the 2nd time to find out my best speed avaliable.

thank you very much.

edwardxin

AnonUserr
@shawcable.net

AnonUserr to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
User: marry me?
Amy: My, aren't you the charming sort? Don't get any ideas, you're dealing with a strictly G-Rated virtual lady.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@Nilism, adiabatic - I'm waiting for the most current road map from operations so I can give you a more accurate timeline.

@pkarlos - You know i'm sending you a pm once I have that ETA

@Karyudo - Sorry, I've got no information on that.

@fedup123 - I'd like to make it 100% again, just pm me your account details and I'll do whatever I can to straighten the situation out.

@ErikRP - no excuses really for the hold times Erik, they're rather long right now. Please contact me anytime (during business hours) on the boards and i'll get back to you asap as an alternative. As for front-line staff, we're busy training new agents right now, but it does take 4-6 weeks to train and ensure they're capable of taking calls efficiently.

@edwardxin - there's really no way for me to see what the average speed of a building is Edward. We always want to ensure the speed you subscribe to is the speed you're getting. If it isn't, I'm available on the boards to make sure we do our best in ensuring it is.
MatrixRS
join:2001-11-12
Kelowna, BC

MatrixRS to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Sean,

Are there any issues with the smtp mail.shawcable.com?

Not receiving emails sent using this server. No error messages.

Thanks!

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

what outgoing/incoming mail servers are you using? and what outgoing is the person using that's sending you mail.
MatrixRS
join:2001-11-12
Kelowna, BC

MatrixRS

I'm trying to send myself an email...

Incoming: shawmail.ok.shawcable.net
Outgoing: mail.shawcable.com

Also tried: shawmail.ok.shawcable.net as the outgoing.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

well shawmail.ok.shawcable.net is correct for incoming and outgoing. if you want to dm me your details (email address etc.) we can do some further testing.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
shawmail.ed.shawcable.net

That would be for Edmonton, obviously, and is the SMTP and POP address.

shaw_student
@shawcable.net

shaw_student to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
i put this question in the student promo thread but it remains unanswered

»Re: Shaw Student Rates on Broadband Plans?

right now i have digital tv + extreme internet which comes out to ~ $65/month but someone stated it should be $44.40/month (not interested in the SPP packages)

so i guess my question is, is the poster correct with the above mentioned student package?

also, it says that extreme internet alone should be $22.45 however my bill says im paying around $34 or so for internet alone

can i message/email someone to look into this and fix up my account pricing/billing, or would i have to call in and wait on hold for a few hours ??
SpongeGuard
join:2009-08-09
Port Alberni, BC

SpongeGuard to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Would it be possible to get some info as to when the new tiers will be rolled out on vancouver island, specifically Port Alberni area?

Been waiting a while, and was told mid august ages ago

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

All dates are tentative over the next 18 months, so be patient. It's gonna happen when it happens.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to shaw_student

to shaw_student
Please pm me with your contact details, I'll have someone contact you regarding your packaging.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Is the eta for 250mbit internet in Richmond the same as Surrey which is Dec ? if not do you know when ?
abatrour
join:2008-05-24
canada

abatrour to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I signed up for 15-15-15 promo and my internet is set to the wrong speed. Can you help me out?

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
When is Shaw getting Space HD channel, and I hope it don't cost menany more extra then what I pay for the Space channel?
mr nobody
join:2004-12-02

1 edit

mr nobody to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi sean,

I have a question about PVR's. Me and many others who have shaw HDPVR's box's, have noticed that on many channels they don't Flag properly new shows on channels like showcase, discovery network and the E channel. these new shows are not recorded as a result. shaw has done nothing to explain why this happens or ever try to fix this problem.

worse yet some people over at digitalhome.ca forum's have pointed out that this has been going on for over 5 years.

Does shaw know about this problem and are they ever going to fix the channel listings so they will record right? because to me this sorta makes having a PVR pointless if it will not record new programs.

»www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· t=143209

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to DanteX

to DanteX
@DanteX - Not sure until I receive the new schedule from operations.

@abatrour - Sure, pm me your account details and i'll take a look

@pkarlos_76 - We (employees) usually find out about channel additions the same day they're announced to the public. As for cost, that could only be known if we had the channel already.

@jarrycanada - Interesting, I'll take a read through that thread and look into this further for you. send me an email if you don't mind to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca with details and put ATT: Sean in the subject line. Thanks.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

Awesome Thank you cant wait to here. Currently on telus Optik living with the inlaws , moving out soon and am looking at Shaw 250

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to mr nobody

Premium Member

to mr nobody
It is the guide infomation,

If you look at the sitcoms for example,

The first part is New,
or
Repeat,

That is the infomation the PVR goes off of,
That is why it happens,

What causes it, not sure if it is the channel not providing the infomation, or if it is Shaw not sending the infomation to the guide.
But being that most channels get the New/Repeat flag, I'm thinking its not Shaw stripping it out, I'm thinking they are not getting that detail from the channel.

If you check out Bell's PVR, the infomation can also tell you when the episode first aired, and the episode number, which is really neat.

But to simplify, its a guide infomation problem.
kevinds

kevinds to pkarlos_76

Premium Member

to pkarlos_76
Space HD will not happen, unless Shaw removes the 85% of content must be in HD.

Very little of the SpaceHD stuff is HD.

I went through a 24 hour period, the day I checked, 5 hours was HD, the rest was SD.

I would like it, because I have all the HD channels, but basic SD cable, I don't get Space from Shaw.
Slack0
join:2011-09-09
Vancouver, BC

Slack0 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Just wanted to say, ShawSean rocks.

Wasn't having any luck going through regular customer support/tech support, until posting here.

I'm not sure who Sean reports to, but he (and his web team) deserve raises.

Thanks Sean.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by Slack0:

Just wanted to say, ShawSean rocks.

Wasn't having any luck going through regular customer support/tech support, until posting here.

I'm not sure who Sean reports to, but he (and his web team) deserve raises.

Thanks Sean.

Amen!
qVAMPIREp
join:2011-02-28
Calgary, AB

qVAMPIREp

About to give up all hope...

Trying to get a hold of Shaw is pretty much impossible. I've been sitting on hold and waiting for an online chat for over 1 1/2 hours so far today. Lasted for almost 2 hours before giving up the other day... All I want to do is to upgrade my service to Broadband 100 and get a CISCO modem in bridged mode. I'd like to just pick one up from the main branch in downtown Calgary to ensure I don't get a crappy SMC modem mailed to me. Why is this so hard?

I've tried the walk in approach on the weekend before but they didn't even have any SMC's in stock...

Shaw is making it very hard for me to be their customer......
qVAMPIREp

qVAMPIREp

I finally got through! I am guessing my odds of getting what I wanted are less than 50%... I know I should have more faith but trust is earned...

Here is the transcript of what has been promised. I was almost sent to a retail location without stock for a second time.....

GoToAssist:
Your representative has arrived.

Jessica #7779 (10:46:37):
Thank you for choosing Shaw Chat Support Services. My name is Jessica. One moment please, while I retrieve your account.
Jessica #7779 (10:49:32):
You want to upgrade to Broadband 100?

qVAMPIREp (10:49:41):
Yes
qVAMPIREp (10:50:06):
I would like to upgrade my Internet account to Broadband 100. However, I absolutely do NOT want an SMC modem. I would like a CISCO DP3825 set to Bridged-Mode.

Do you have any of the CISCO DP3825 routers in stock at the main Calgary office location at 630 3 Ave SW? If so, can you please contact them and get them to set one aside for me to pickup today?

Jessica #7779 (10:50:40):
Yes, we have stock. You can go there and pick it up anytime.

qVAMPIREp (10:51:47):
You are positive? Last time I went I waited in line for 30 mins and they had nothing in stock. That is why I would like to get them to hold one for me today

Jessica #7779 (10:52:00):
yes
Jessica #7779 (10:52:08):
We can have one sent out to you if you want.

qVAMPIREp (10:53:16):
No, I would rather just pick it up. In regards to the bridge mode is that done at the time of provisioning? I don't want to wait on line for 2 hours to get it done.

Jessica #7779 (10:53:45):
yes. One moment pls. I'm just going to check with the Calgary retail right now.
Jessica #7779 (10:54:10):
qVAMPIREp, Cgy is low in stock right now for the Cisco router. But, it is better chance of you getting the router if we mail it out to you.

qVAMPIREp (10:54:56):
Ok, can you guarantee me that I won't be mailed an SMC router?

Jessica #7779 (10:55:01):
No, you won't.

qVAMPIREp (10:55:38):
Ok, then that would be fine.

Jessica #7779 (10:56:00):
Ok. You'll get one in 3-5 business days.
Jessica #7779 (10:56:02):
Anything else, qVAMPIREp?

qVAMPIREp (10:57:43):
No that's everything. Can you please make sure it is in bridged mode. I already have a business class CISCO network router and do not want the WIFI.

Jessica #7779 (10:58:44):
Yes. we will make sure.
Jessica #7779 (10:58:48):
An order has been placed already.
Jessica #7779 (10:58:53):
Have a great day, qVAMPIREp.

qVAMPIREp (10:59:13):
Thanks Jessica

GoToAssist (10:59:35):
qVAMPIREp has left the session.

GoToAssist (10:59:35):
Your session has ended. Thank you for contacting us.
If our Customer Survey did not open automatically, please click the following link:
Take our 1-minute Customer Survey.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

@qVAMPIREq - just let me know how things turn out.