Search similar:

uniqs
adiabatic
join:2009-01-24
Victoria, BC

adiabatic to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Thanks Sean for the prompt action. I really like dealing with tech issues this way rather than going through the front line support staff

Nathan called me this afternoon... I had to ask him to call back later and by the time he did I'd run 25-30 tests of 100 pings each and everything was back to normal. He did however put a note on my file so I can swap my modem if the trouble returns.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Good to hear, I can't always guarantee that quick of a turn around but I'll always do my best.

Cheers.
SUPERMONKEY
join:2012-03-20

SUPERMONKEY to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi,

I just got BB50 last night and the connection began to drop even though the modem lights were still on. Googled the problem and seems to be some what common occurrence. Kind of regretting switching from extreme but hopefully a fix exists. I am gonna go try the DHCP lease time change and see what happens. If anyone else has any other advice would appreciate it.

Thx.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey,

Are you connection drops while you're connected wirelessly or wired? have you contacted support yet to troubleshoot?

I'd contact »shaw.ca/chat to see if those folks could help you out.

Cheers.
ShawSean

ShawSean

Hey guys,

Just a quick heads up I'm on vacation until Monday so you know why i'm not responding to PM's and threads.

If you guys have any issues you need assistance with, definitely contact the guys on Twitter @shawhelp or chat (»shaw.ca/chat).

Have a good week/end.

Cheers,
Sean
Lesaonar
join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Lesaonar

Enjoy your holiday, Sean!
dave778
join:2012-03-24
Vancouver, BC

dave778 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
It's Mar 24th today & for the last week my Broadband100 has dropped from an already slow 30-40Mbps to between 1&4 Mbps. This is happeneing on wifi & while directing plugged into the modem. Whats worse is that the Shaw speed test is telling me I'm getting 30Mbps but all the other speedtests i've done (Rogers speed test, Bell, Bandwidthplace, Speakeasy speedtest & speedtest.net) are all indicating nothing above 4 Mbps. Thats really fishy & Its leaving me w a bitter taste in my mouth as I cant watch my Apple TV anymore. It is majorly lagging & My son can no longer watch Youtube as it lags & freezes as-well.
A Shaw tech was here 2 weeks ago for an appointment that I had to wait 3 weeks for, but after 5 mins the tech left after replacing the Cisco D3 modem. I called Shaw again & asked what the problem is & nobody knows. I asked that they send a Senior tech out who knows whats he's doing & they are telling me it'll be another 4 week wait. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? After waiting 3 weeks for the first tech, + putting up w bad internet service for another week (total of just over a month now) they are telling me that I will have to wait another 4 weeks (making a total of 2 months of crap service)? ShawSean I'm looking in your direction. your my last resort before I switch providers. Can you please work some magic as I am getting nothing but a run around. I've been a customer since Shaw setup shop in Vancouver some 15 years ago. Also is there anything going on in the Sunset area of Vancouver that could be causing this that you know of?
Is anyone else on Broadband 50/100 having this problem in this area? (Main st@57th ave) or in Vancouver in general?

heyman
@173.180.194.x

heyman

Anon

dave - i am very close to your area (Main and 58th) and I am having exact same issue.

the tech i spoke to gave me a story about network being upgraded and it will be like this for 2 weeks.

i do not think he knew what he was talking about
dave778
join:2012-03-24
Vancouver, BC

dave778

Hi "Heyman", Thats very interesting that they told you that. I wonder if any of it is true. My neighbor called today & the level 1 customer service person told him that as well, Well sort of. Shaw told him that the digital upgrades start in july & will be going on for 4 months. ShawSean, any input on this? are the network upgrades in Vancouver starting in july & ending in november or have they already started & are going to last 2 weeks from now (as Heyman was told)?
heyman2
join:2012-03-25
Vancouver, BC

heyman2

even if shaw is going through an upgrade - it is not acceptable to let the current customers suffer for weeks or months.

can you imagine any other business suggesting their customers to keep paying for a sub-standard useless product while the business is busy is improving their infrastructure or processes?
bisk6
join:2002-06-15
Binbrook, ON

bisk6 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hey Sean,
Any idea what's going on with Shaw Hamilton? In their Bulletins section it says that something exciting is coming on April 1st.
»www.shawhamilton.ca/inde ··· ulletins

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey guys,

I received your pm's and I'll look into this situation asap. Sorry I wasn't around earlier to help.

Cheers.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76

Shaw Business told me they cannot provide a CISCO modem on a Business 5 internet plan, they said it is not technically compatible and it requires a Business 25 plan. I told them I did not want a a SMC modem for many reasons. They said the Business 5 plan only comes with the Motorola Docsis 2 modems. They initially wanted to charge $500 install fee for a short term commercial installation which I found redicolous considering Telus was willing to do it for $75. I had to argue that many of us were Shaw customers already that would be using this service temporarily, and we finally agreed on a $49.95 install fee. Is this all true i.e. the modems? Or can I pick up a cisco modem at the local office and replace the the Motorola one? (Reason for Cisco is for Wireless feature.) Otherwise we'll just get a router to hook up to the old motorola modem if worse comes to worse.

P.S. When is shaw getting EXO WIFI in Capilano Mall?
gary92
join:2011-11-11
canada

gary92 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
hey sean is it possible if i forward you my information you could put a note on my account that i can trade my SMC modem for a cisco one? i don't think i can just exchange it in unless a tech or you says its ok?

the reason why i want to try cisco is because i can only hit 3.5mb/s on torrents, but i am on BB100, which should be able to go over 10mb/s.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

hey gary,

pm me your account info and i'll see what can be done.

Cheers.

anon34534643
@184.66.75.x

anon34534643

Anon

My internet went to crap last night, lots of packet loss and 0.3mbs or less speeds.

I called Shaw tech support and the person I spoke too couldn't help me and setup a time for a tech to come out but I don't think this is a problem on my end.

Heres a tracert »imgur.com/muAlD
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

Unfortunately your ping plotter doesn't tell us if the problem is between you and the modem, the modem and the CMTS, or elsewhere on the network.

The packet loss appears to start at the first hop, so it could be anything from a bad network connection in your home, to a bad modem, bad wiring, noise on the plant, etc etc etc.

If you have a router, I'd pingplot your default gateway IP address for a while to see what the results on your LAN are. If that is clean, then it is something after the router, and you can move forward checking your connection to the modem, then the coax, etc.
SirMaple
join:2011-01-26
Calgary, AB

1 edit

SirMaple to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hey Sean,

Just had a tech over to fix my PVR. That's all good now.

I also asked the tech when I would be getting my 10Mbps upload speed on my Broadband 100 package. He said it was mostly a config change on my modem that was needed. So he requested the config change and left which is fine. Just got a call from the tech telling me that Shaw.ca info is wrong and Broadband 100 will not come with 10Mbps upload.

Is this true and why have you been advertising it for months?

EDIT:

My problem has been solved. Looks like the tech just wanted to brush it off and not check his facts. Guys on the @Shawhelp twitter account gave me the correct info. Broadband 100 will be coming with 10Mbps just my area is not upgraded yet. You should tell your techs to check the info they are telling customers.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey John,

Good to hear the pvr is fixed. What's the ph# on your account (PM me)? I'll follow up and ensure the tech is coached so we're not giving out incorrect information.

Cheers.
gary92
join:2011-11-11
canada

gary92 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
im not sure if my PM got through to you sean, my firefox crashed on me while it was sending. let me know

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

I got it gary, thanks.

crazyea
join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC

crazyea to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I upgraded to the Gateway. I have 4 portals.

By doing this I pretty much made my brand new PVR obsolete in my household.

Could I transfer it to my Dads account, but continue to make the payments on my account? I mean the thing is just sitting in my closet collecting dust and its brand new. The least I could do is let my Dad benefit from it.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Yes you could do that. How are you liking the gateway so far?

crazyea
Surrey, BC

crazyea

I like the gateway. It's easy when you have kids who all watch different things. I have had it since sept..

So how could I transfer the pvr to my dad? Will it be an issue that I am still making payments on it?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

We could make it work. Just need to make sure your dads around so he authorizes the PVR on his account (unless you have access) and we can do the transfer.

crazyea
Surrey, BC

crazyea

So I can just take it over to his house. Hook it up for him, and then call in? Maybe I can use shaw concierge to save time?
ilianame
join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC

ilianame

I got a question for ya:

When's my internets gonna be back?

Victoria
@uvic.ca

Victoria

Anon

Seconded. When is this outage going to be over? What is it caused by? I've heard rumour it's due to the installation of new government spyware.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to crazyea

to crazyea
@crazyea - That would work fine, pm me if you still need help getting it taken care of.

@ilianame - Tell that interweb to stop leaving without letting you know. That's bad behavior.

@Victoria - Seems legit.

All jokes aside, there was an outage last night that affected multiple areas, i'm unsure as to what cause it, but everything should be resolved and working fine now. If you're still having problems getting online, pm me and we'll get it figured out asap.

Cheers.
undeadotaku
join:2012-04-04
Surrey, BC

1 edit

undeadotaku to ShawSean

to ShawSean
In the past week my cable drop has been disconnected two times.
The first time was last Wednesday, was reconnected on Friday. The drop was disconnected from the tap on the pole and locked.
The second time was this past Monday.
This time it was disconnected from the tap and locked again, but this time they also cut 4 feet of cable off the drop at the pole and then cut it again on the pole in front of my house.
A tech came out on Tuesday to try to fix it, but with all the cuts it needs a new drop.
Then today a supervisor came out to look at the damage. It will be a few days to get it fixed as they need to bring in flaggers so they can run the new drop over the 4 lanes of traffic.

What is funny is that this is a new account for internet, only active for 2 weeks. Also there is no work orders to disconnect anything.

-----------
Posting from a friends computer.