All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

heyman

join:2012-03-25
Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Sean

I have been having speed issues on BB50 connection for about 3 months now.

Technician came by and replaced modem; but things got worse.

Now the CSR told me I am out of luck. I can either downgrade to a slower connection or live with it.

I have also sent you a PM.
Please help.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
said by heyman:

Sean

Now the CSR told me I am out of luck. I can either downgrade to a slower connection or live with it.

Please help.

It would really piss me off if a rep told me that, thats very not customer service like, and poor service. I think a rep needs a reeducation on customer service if he/she did indeed tell you that.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to heyman
said by heyman:

Sean

Please help.

Was someone able to contact you yesterday regarding this ongoing issue? let me know how things went.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

nfx
The Wire
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC
kudos:1
reply to ShawSean
Is the Extreme-I internet service no longer available for new customers?
--
nfx

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
said by nfx:

Is the Extreme-I internet service no longer available for new customers?

From what I've found so far it's still available to those that want the service. I'm triple checking now and will follow up shortly

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

nfx
The Wire
Premium
join:2001-05-21
Vancouver, BC
Also, would I need to purchase a modem for that as well? I remember reading somewhere that Shaw is now pushing people to buy their modems vs. renting.

How much is the Extreme service for new customers? IIRC, it was $10 more than the regular HSI, so around $55?

Would new Extreme customers be using the Cisco wifi modems, or the older style Surfboards? I would strongly prefer a Surfboard.
--
nfx

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
If you could pm me with your contact details, I'll have a product expert contact you so you get all the proper information. Just let me know when the best time to reach you at is.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

ramos2324

join:2012-06-14
Winnipeg, MB
Hi Sean,

Just need some feedback regarding this SHAW SMC8014WN-SHW model. Some how most of the laptops that we have are having issues with this modem. They can't get any internet connection via WiFi even though that it is connected. The laptops are the HP ProBook 4530s with an Intel Centrino Advance-N 6230 wireless adapter. In any other internet WiFi connection we have no problems eith connecting to an iPhone or even an large scale wireless network like MERU or CISCO. We did some changes on the modem and removed the DHCP server function and hooked it up to an existing network and joined the laptop via the same wireless network of the SMC modem, it picked up the IP address form the network DHCP server and it went through no problems at all.

SHAW keeps blaming the laptop and tells us that we need to make changes on the adapter settings.

Any help regarding this issues would be highly appreciated.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
Hey ramos,

I'd like to have a senior tech look into this for you. Please pm me your contact details and the best time to reach you and i'll have someone follow up.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

classical

join:2003-02-13
ca
reply to ShawSean
Hey ShawSean, when it comes to the official number of TV outlets being used, I've read elsewhere that the Gateway system counts as using only one TV outlet. For example, you can be using six Portals and the whole enchilada counts as using a single TV outlet. Can you confirm this? Thanks for your help.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
Hey classical,

Each portal requires an outlet to talk to the gateway (assuming it's in another room) so the entire gateway system counting as only using one would be incorrect.

If you have any further questions let me know.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

messupdude

join:2011-11-11
Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean
Hey Sean,

I was wondering if speeds on Highspeed 10 are suppose to get up to at least 5mb/s down cause all I ever recieve is 1.2-1.3 at the most.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
1.3 MB/s or 1.3 Mb/s? 1.3 MB/s converts to 10 Mbit/s.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
said by XT0RT:

1.3 MB/s or 1.3 Mb/s? 1.3 MB/s converts to 10 Mbit/s.

The Bytes/Bits confusion is infamous indeed. Screenshot would be helpful, or a speedtest or download.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
At least Shaw sets the modems at 102,400,000 for 100mbps, which is closer, but more than most ISPs set the speed limits. Most just use 100,000,000.

Should be 104,857,000.

50mbps is 51,200,000 should be 52,428,800.

Doesn't make a huge difference, but when we calculate what it should be, it will allways be a little lower because of this.

Hopefully @messupdude replies with the infomation though.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
quote:
50mbps is 51,200,000 should be 52,428,800.
For a brief moment in my newsgroup binary download application, I will see 52 MBit/s for a download speed. At first I was thinking it was just the Power Boost making up that number.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M (485M R.I.P) : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
52,428,800 bps is 50mbps

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
No it isn't. You're confusing binary prefixes (ki/Mi/Gi) with SI prefixes (k/M/G). The former is base-2 - 2^10/2^20/2^30, while the latter is base-10 - 10^3/10^6/10^9.

For communications, it's always been base-10.

Your 64kbps ISDN is 64,000 bits/sec - 8 bits at 8000samples/sec, or a standard phone connection. (Trivia - a 56kbps modem came about because the line is "bit-robbed" - the least significant bit is replaced with a control bit. Since the link only has 7 bits to play with, you get 7bits * 8000samples/sec, or 56kbps).

A standard 10Mbps Ethernet card runs at 10,000,000bits/sec. Ditto FastEthernet/GigE (100,000,000 and 1,000,000,000 bits/sec, respectively). It's the same as your 3GHz CPU is 3,000,000,000Hz. Or your 2TB hard drive is 2,000,000,000,000 bytes.

Only semiconductor memories are measured properly in binary prefixes, e.g., 1GiB/2GiB/4GiB/8GiB. Though flash often uses the difference for storage management.

60Mbps connections are thus truly 50,000,000bits/sec. If Shaw gives a little more - great, enjoy it, but other providers aren't wrong in giving you that much.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to messupdude
said by messupdude:

Hey Sean,

I was wondering if speeds on Highspeed 10 are suppose to get up to at least 5mb/s down cause all I ever recieve is 1.2-1.3 at the most.

I think XT0RT, ravenchilde and kevinds summed it up -If you could attach some speed tests we'll be able to better assess your connection speeds (please make sure you're directly connected to the modem).

Cheers.
--
Sean
Twitter - @Shaw_Sean

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
reply to ShawSean
The Shaw website no longer advertises areas of availability for BB250. Does that mean that the roll-out is complete?

I'm at UBC and have been eager to upgrade for quite a while.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
It doesn't seem that way.

My area recently went through the DNU, and apparently BB250 still isn't available.

I did an online chat with Shaw and they confirmed that BB250 is not yet available in my area.

Laird

join:2012-02-04
Vancouver, BC
Hey Sean,

I have a Friend that has been a shaw customer for like 10+ years. He finally has decided to jump from Extreme + Cable/movie packages for an amount of approx $150. He wants to stick with the same TV package and bundle it with BB50, customer service is saying he cannot get the free cisco modem in bridge mode and is telling him he has to pay like $25 more a month. Is this fact, or can he get some help?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
There is no charge for bridge mode.

After it is put on the account, contact tech-support, and it will be done. Some customer service reps do not know what it is or means.

-Posted from my phone.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
Hey guys,

There have been some recent changes to our system and account coding - currently we're unable to handle bridge mode requests until further notice.

I'll update you guys once I receive further information.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Yojimbo413

join:2012-06-21

1 edit
Hello ShawSean, I recently upgraded to BB 50 and the first few days I was getting good speeds (40-48 Mps) but now after like 1-2 weeks I"m down to 18-25, this is even during none peak hours. Tried different cables, different computers, different speed testing sites, and its pretty much all the same.

How can I fix this? Want to get what I paid for. I have the SMC model in bridge mode connected to my own router.

Edit - I accidently hit the power switch from my wall outlet and the router reset I guess. I tested again and now its getting 35-45 speeds). So I don't know what was going on. Perhaps the SMC was over heating? That sucker is warm.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
This may need to go in it's own thread,

But, you said you hit the power switch on your wall outlet, and your router reset.

It is possible your router needed a reboot. This switch may have reset the modem as well?

It is normal for the SMC and the Cisco to run warm.
Don't stack anything on top of them, or they may overheat (from experience), or on-top of something else that is warm

Let us know if it comes back.

-Posted from my phone.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
said by ShawSean:

Hey guys,

There have been some recent changes to our system and account coding - currently we're unable to handle bridge mode requests until further notice.

I'll update you guys once I receive further information.

Cheers.

I am quoting myself... feels strange - anyway, was able to find a temporary work around until we've completed our system updates. Please pm me and we'll get your modem in bridge mode.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Is it by chance,

using the actual admin login, which adds Bridged to the drop-down with Static or DHCP IP?

(Just my guess)

-Posted from my phone.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
No, it's still done on our end Kevin, not on the modem itself.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

ilianame

join:2002-06-05
Burnaby, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Shaw
SO I was playing my usual game, way past bedtime yesterday (today), then the Internet cut out... (For 3 minutes)

Thanks for ensuring I get my beauty rest

IaintEvenMad.jpeg
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 18 · 19 · 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next