normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to spectrum

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

@spectrum - I don't have any eta's on when the new tiers will become available unfortunately.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

rabidfox

join:2012-07-12
reply to ShawSean

Can the regular techs still not do bridge mode without your special work around? I'm having no luck finding one who can do it for my new modem. Super annoying!

Will PM you, ShawSean.

flailingbart

join:2006-06-11
Winnipeg, MB
reply to ShawSean

Is Winnipeg having lag spike issues? I've been having issues this past week or so and nothing has changed on my end, as far as I know. Here's some pings to Google: »i.imgur.com/JQ42H.png. Actually, even the first hop is getting the same spikes: »i.imgur.com/Xealg.png. Pinging the router or modem is a solid 1 ms.

Attempts to fix: I've tried restarting modem + router and directly connecting to the modem.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to rabidfox

@rabidfox - sorry to hear that - I'll arrange a call back for you.

@flailingbart - can you send me your account details again? we'll take a look and see if there's any issues we can find.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB
reply to ShawSean

Whoa, wasn't expecting a call so quickly!

Looks like my modem levels are not where they should be. A tech is coming over in a few days to take a look.

Thanks for the help.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

No problem, I was able to get some assistance sooner than expected. Let me know how things go after the service call.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

flailingbart

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
reply to ShawSean

The tech came over today and it looks like a connector on the cable going to the modem had some issues. He replaced it and so far so good. Ping times appear to be rock solid.

mike10

join:2004-03-02
reply to ShawSean

do you know if the bump up program is still going to start being enforced the last thing that I heard about it was that it would start in august and that is only 10 days away

spectrum

join:2011-01-14

Shaw's webpages now show that the bump-up program took effect starting Feb 2012. Whether or not that's actually the case though, I have no idea.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to mike10

said by mike10:

do you know if the bump up program is still going to start being enforced the last thing that I heard about it was that it would start in august and that is only 10 days away

It is in the works right now, but I've got no ETA as to when it'll be implemented. When I hear more I'll update this thread.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

tjsnide

join:2004-07-26

Dear ShawSean.

Why is shaw increasing the cost of my internet service by 3 dollars in september?

When i started with shaw about 2 years ago i was paying 47 bucks for this current plan. Now after taxes its going to be about 62 bucks a month.

The quality of your service has not improved significantly in two years. My internet speeds have not been adjusted in two years.

Why am i paying 15 dollars more for the same internet as two years ago, while internet prices and speeds are getting BETTER in other developed countries?

I think its just about time i moved on to tek savvy because this is starting to turn into a joke.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

And you want to be limited to 6Mbps on TekSavvy? I'm just saying...

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
reply to ShawSean

ShawSean you might want to contact someone regarding the web pages, as they appear to indicate that this bump up program is already in effect.

tjsnide

reply to XT0RT

im already getting slower than that for 62 bucks now. I only get about 980KB/s download max in this area on shaw.

So yes, i would be very content with 6Mbps. Im not doing a whole lot of excessive downloading lately so i do not need the fastest plan possible.

I can already stream hd fine.

I sat through your BS UBB meetings Shaw. So instead of ripping us off through that you will just raise the price of everyone's plan's every few months...

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB

1 edit

I won't doubt that TekSavvy may be better suited for you, but switching to TekSavvy is not going to be cheap for you at the beginning. Do you also want to be limited to a 75GB cap?

You'll be forced to pay a setup fee, then your modem fee. Then if there happens to be any core network problems, TekSavvy will have to submit support requests to the owner of the core network. That naturally will be TELUS or Bell, depending on where you live in Canada.

Both those providers take weeks on end to resolve core network problems. I've had my share of support calls with TELUS, and I won't go back because of that. Granted, when their network works, it's lovely. When it doesn't, you'll be in for a long wait to get it fixed.

I see that TekSavvy managed to get full speed rights from TELUS, so you can get up to 25 Mbps down now.

--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M (485M R.I.P) : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

tjsnide

I already know about Teksavvy's starter fee's. I contemplated a move over to them during the UBB fiasco.

And for 35 bucks a month i can get 6Mbps and 300GB of traffic (which is usually around the max i use a month) connection using telus' network infrastructure.

Even if i had to pay for overages, they cap it off at 25 bucks so i would still be paying less with them. Or i could do unlimited and start paying 47 bucks a month again with increased speeds.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

I was and still am seriously considering them as well, especially with the faster speeds now, and getting assigned a proper subnet is a very nice bonus.

PPPoE is my biggest hold-back, and how content I am with how well my Shaw connection performs, while I feel my Shaw connection is a fair price, the cost savings with Teksavvy is very attractive.

--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War

Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

I've been spoiled with the fact that knowing my Shaw BB50 performs as it should. I can't find myself going back to DSL unless the ILEC's decided to open up their networks to compete.
--
Core i7 2720QM : GTX 460M (485M R.I.P) : 16GB DDR3-1333 : 320GB x 2 in RAID 0 : Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
Anonymous posts are filtered.

Kiyan

@shawcable.net

Hi ShawSean,

I'm actually on hold with Shaw as I'm typing this. I'm having some issues with the cancellation of an account. The last time I called to cancel, I was told I needed to provided a 10 day notice to cancel; I'm calling today and the pleasant girl that I'm speaking to, wants to charge an extra 22 days citing a change in policy effective May 1st.

Can there be an amicable solution to this? Or am I stuck either paying the bill?

Thanks,

Kiyan

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean

@tjsnide - I can't comment on rate increases - that's not my area of expertise. I do my best to provide DSLReports membership with support on their services specifically. Sorry I can't be more help.

@Kiyan - Please register and contact me via pm, I'll see if there's anything I can do.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30

@ShawSean, Isn't Google's fiber price/speed embarrasing to shaw?

Isn't it time for some major FTTH or curb upgrades?

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14

Doubt it. Google won't be coming to Canada to compete.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, Shaw is better than Rogers. The ridiculous high overages and low caps they have compared to Shaw makes Shaw look like the better guy here.

Similar idea with Telus vs Bell. In Ontario they really gouge you for your money so Rogers/Bell resellers are usually much better choices.

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30

said by scubascythan:

Also, as much as I hate to say this, Shaw is better than Rogers. The ridiculous high overages and low caps they have compared to Shaw makes Shaw look like the better guy here.

Similar idea with Telus vs Bell. In Ontario they really gouge you for your money so Rogers/Bell resellers are usually much better choices.

I Doubt it too, but I would like to hear ShawSean's comments on Googles new venture. Yes Google won't be running up to Canada anytime soon but for a company to build a brand new network from scratch, then offer such fair prices.....whats Shaw's or any other Canadian incumbents excuse for not offering fiber to the curb for a fair price?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by Gotspeed:

said by scubascythan:

I Doubt it too, but I would like to hear ShawSean's comments on Googles new venture. Yes Google won't be running up to Canada anytime soon but for a company to build a brand new network from scratch, then offer such fair prices.....whats Shaw's or any other Canadian incumbents excuse for not offering fiber to the curb for a fair price?

Really. Why didn't Google run this experience in a large metropolis city? Why didn't it run it in its own back yard.

Its called a stunt. Something Google is famous for. Its a proof of concept act.

BTW Curious to see just how well Arial fiber handles our weather.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to Gotspeed

@Gotspeed - Well, I think the video they made with the cars was pretty cool - typical Google creativity. As for your first question, sorry, I've got no idea. I'm just here to support membership with their Shaw services and do my best to answer related questions.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

squag

@rr.com

I have a friend who runs Shaw in Edmonton, their internet has been giving them major issues.

From horrible ping when gaming, to yesterday when they lost connection completely literally every 5 minutes.

Is this a wider spread issue? if not, what actions can be taken? she has tried calling support and they just gave her the "unplug and replug your modem" basically.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by squag :

I have a friend who runs Shaw in Edmonton, their internet has been giving them major issues.

From horrible ping when gaming, to yesterday when they lost connection completely literally every 5 minutes.

Is this a wider spread issue? if not, what actions can be taken? she has tried calling support and they just gave her the "unplug and replug your modem" basically.

Please provide data from when there system is going from pc -> wireless -> router -> modem
pc -> wired -> router -> modem
pc -> modem

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to squag

said by squag :

Have your friend register on here and PM ShawSean.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to squag

@squag - both Doonz and ravenchilde made good suggestions. I'll need some additional information before I can provide you with any better ideas of the cause.

First off - how is his network setup? if he's not directly connected to the modem have him connect that way and retest. First thing we want to do is eliminate the router from the equation and retest.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

BROADBAND 50 or higher NO LONGER INCLUDES PERSONAL TV, so is my Broadband 50 +Personal TV for $89.90 now a grandfathered package? Thats what it seems like on the website.... If I get bumped up with the bump up program will I get bumped out of this grandfathered plan? Personally, the website has a $15 difference now between my current plan and the new combo of broadband 50 plan and personal TV package..........?

And having to pay for a modem to own that goes obsolete is just ridiculous when it used to be included in the plan and we can get much better and cheaper wifi routers for around that price. Quite frankly the modem's wifi router is archaic in features and abilities in this day and age, and NOW we have GIGABIT Wifi 802.11ac routers coming out in this last half of the year, is Shaw going to upgrade their modem hardware to new modems with Gigabit wifi? I know the company needs to make money, but this is getting a bit silly with the changes.

P.S. Still not happy with the abilities of the gateway hardware and its software ui configuration. And when do I GET the 5 mb upload promised with the digital switchover in phase 2?

Happiness with Shaw: 1-10 is a 5
Happiness with its customer service: 8
Happiness with you is: 10

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next