All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

@ShawSean, Isn't Google's fiber price/speed embarrasing to shaw?

Isn't it time for some major FTTH or curb upgrades?

scubascythan

join:2005-05-14
Doubt it. Google won't be coming to Canada to compete.

Also, as much as I hate to say this, Shaw is better than Rogers. The ridiculous high overages and low caps they have compared to Shaw makes Shaw look like the better guy here.

Similar idea with Telus vs Bell. In Ontario they really gouge you for your money so Rogers/Bell resellers are usually much better choices.

Gotspeed

join:2011-12-30
said by scubascythan:

Also, as much as I hate to say this, Shaw is better than Rogers. The ridiculous high overages and low caps they have compared to Shaw makes Shaw look like the better guy here.

Similar idea with Telus vs Bell. In Ontario they really gouge you for your money so Rogers/Bell resellers are usually much better choices.

I Doubt it too, but I would like to hear ShawSean's comments on Googles new venture. Yes Google won't be running up to Canada anytime soon but for a company to build a brand new network from scratch, then offer such fair prices.....whats Shaw's or any other Canadian incumbents excuse for not offering fiber to the curb for a fair price?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by Gotspeed:

said by scubascythan:

I Doubt it too, but I would like to hear ShawSean's comments on Googles new venture. Yes Google won't be running up to Canada anytime soon but for a company to build a brand new network from scratch, then offer such fair prices.....whats Shaw's or any other Canadian incumbents excuse for not offering fiber to the curb for a fair price?

Really. Why didn't Google run this experience in a large metropolis city? Why didn't it run it in its own back yard.

Its called a stunt. Something Google is famous for. Its a proof of concept act.

BTW Curious to see just how well Arial fiber handles our weather.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to Gotspeed
@Gotspeed - Well, I think the video they made with the cars was pretty cool - typical Google creativity. As for your first question, sorry, I've got no idea. I'm just here to support membership with their Shaw services and do my best to answer related questions.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

squag

@rr.com
I have a friend who runs Shaw in Edmonton, their internet has been giving them major issues.

From horrible ping when gaming, to yesterday when they lost connection completely literally every 5 minutes.

Is this a wider spread issue? if not, what actions can be taken? she has tried calling support and they just gave her the "unplug and replug your modem" basically.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by squag :

I have a friend who runs Shaw in Edmonton, their internet has been giving them major issues.

From horrible ping when gaming, to yesterday when they lost connection completely literally every 5 minutes.

Is this a wider spread issue? if not, what actions can be taken? she has tried calling support and they just gave her the "unplug and replug your modem" basically.

Please provide data from when there system is going from pc -> wireless -> router -> modem
pc -> wired -> router -> modem
pc -> modem

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to squag
said by squag :

Have your friend register on here and PM ShawSean.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to squag
@squag - both Doonz and ravenchilde made good suggestions. I'll need some additional information before I can provide you with any better ideas of the cause.

First off - how is his network setup? if he's not directly connected to the modem have him connect that way and retest. First thing we want to do is eliminate the router from the equation and retest.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
BROADBAND 50 or higher NO LONGER INCLUDES PERSONAL TV, so is my Broadband 50 +Personal TV for $89.90 now a grandfathered package? Thats what it seems like on the website.... If I get bumped up with the bump up program will I get bumped out of this grandfathered plan? Personally, the website has a $15 difference now between my current plan and the new combo of broadband 50 plan and personal TV package..........?

And having to pay for a modem to own that goes obsolete is just ridiculous when it used to be included in the plan and we can get much better and cheaper wifi routers for around that price. Quite frankly the modem's wifi router is archaic in features and abilities in this day and age, and NOW we have GIGABIT Wifi 802.11ac routers coming out in this last half of the year, is Shaw going to upgrade their modem hardware to new modems with Gigabit wifi? I know the company needs to make money, but this is getting a bit silly with the changes.

P.S. Still not happy with the abilities of the gateway hardware and its software ui configuration. And when do I GET the 5 mb upload promised with the digital switchover in phase 2?

Happiness with Shaw: 1-10 is a 5
Happiness with its customer service: 8
Happiness with you is: 10

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to ShawSean
Shaw currently has the "Shaw Friends" program. If you're a triple play customer you get an extra 50gb of bandwidth. When I view my usage on Shaw's Customer Care website it states I have 400gb a month (I'm on BB50). Do I need to contact shaw to get them to manually had the extra 50gb, or does shaw already see that in the background?

With all the talk of the bump up program rolling out, I thought I should check.

I'm also curious about the previous posters inquiry. How is the bump up going to work? The new bundles are more expensive than the old ones? They used to be spread out by $10/month. Would they just tack $10/month onto the bill for every threshold you exceed?

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
My knowledge of the bump-up program isn't very extensive - so i'll have to get back to you guys on that. Once I can do better than "I don't know" I'll post up a response.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

captnhammer

join:2011-02-01
Calgary
reply to ShawSean
What is the status of the being able to put new modems into bridge mode? Is this able to be done easily now, or should I be prepared for difficulties.

I am having shaw internet/gateway tv/phone installed at the end of the month and will definitely need to set the modem to bridge mode.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
From my understanding we're able to once again code bridged modems without any hiccups - shouldn't be an issue for you.

Just make sure to request the modem bridged on install and it'll be setup prior.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

BumpMeUp

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean
Do you at least have an ETA for when bump-up will begin? First it was February, then August, which is here. But I haven't seen any sign of it.

TAKN

join:2003-09-21
Calgary, AB
reply to ShawSean
Hi Sean. I'm in Calgary with the 50/5 plan. However I've been capped at 50/3. Is there any way to get the 5mbps upload speed as it is advertised? Or must I wait for the "digital upgrade"?

If the answer is the latter, then why is it advertised as 50/5?

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
@BumpMeUp - No ETA's as of yet, sorry. As soon as I hear more on the Bump up program I'll post it here.

@TAKN - Can you dm me with your account details so I investigate further?
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

BumpMeUp

@telus.com
That's really too bad. With an ironic twist of timing my Internet was suspended today because I'm exceeding my BB50 monthly limit.

Now I'll probably have to bump myself up and lose my grandfathered discount. =(

JustinW

join:2012-07-16
Calgary, AB
reply to ShawSean
Hi Sean, can you explain why my Vancouver VPN is getting ~20ms lower latency to many west coast servers from Calgary? It seems to me that it would be an extra layer and it's extremely annoying to have the higher latency in some online games. Telus Optik users are also getting around the same as the VPN latency.

No VPN

Tracing route to 107.6.89.37 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 12 ms 11 ms 20 ms 64.59.132.33
3 27 ms 26 ms 24 ms rc2wh-pos0-8-2-0.vc.shawcable.net[66.163.76.10]
4 28 ms 33 ms 28 ms 66.163.76.150
5 29 ms 28 ms 27 ms xe-8-2-3.edge1.Seattle3.Level3.net[4.59.232.81]
6 71 ms 31 ms 29 ms sea-b1-link.telia.net [80.239.128.197]
7 70 ms 75 ms 68 ms sjo-bb1-link.telia.net [213.155.134.210]
8 46 ms 44 ms 45 ms internap-ic-140172-sjo-bb1.c.telia.net [213.248.81.134]
9 48 ms 48 ms 49 ms border4.pc1-bbnet1.sje011.pnap.net [66.151.144.16]
10 73 ms 82 ms 71 ms inapvoxcust-4.border4.sje011.pnap.net [75.98.84.246]
11 78 ms 79 ms 80 ms 0.te2-2.tsr1.sjc2.us.voxel.net [107.6.91.253]
12 78 ms 81 ms 78 ms 107.6.89.37

VPN

Tracing route to 107.6.89.37 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 28 ms 28 ms 28 ms 199.167.18.3
2 * 26 ms 27 ms 199.167.18.1
3 28 ms 26 ms 30 ms 64.34.110.226
4 29 ms 29 ms 28 ms oc48-so-3-0-0.nyc-telx-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187.115.130]
5 28 ms 30 ms 30 ms 10ge.xe-5-0-0.van-spenc-cor-1.peer1.net [216.187.89.205]
6 33 ms 32 ms 30 ms oc48.so-2-0-0.sea-coloc-dis-1.peer1.net [216.187.88.214]
7 30 ms 31 ms 32 ms xe-10-0-0.edge1.Seattle3.Level3.net [4.59.232.1]
8 33 ms 32 ms 30 ms sea-b1-link.telia.net [80.239.128.197]
9 53 ms 55 ms 50 ms sjo-bb1-link.telia.net [213.155.134.80]
10 50 ms 49 ms 53 ms internap-ic-140172-sjo-bb1.c.telia.net [213.248.81.134]
11 52 ms 54 ms 52 ms border3.pc2-bbnet2.sje011.pnap.net [66.151.144.85]
12 58 ms 60 ms 60 ms inapvoxcust-3.border3.sje011.pnap.net [75.98.84.242]
13 58 ms 57 ms 57 ms 107.6.89.37

nidx

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean
Hi Sean, I am in downtown Calgary and I would check every week or so to see if BB250 was being offered yet, those links disappeared a few months ago. Is there a list somewhere I can see where BB250 is available? I want to switch to it as soon as it is available

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
reply to JustinW
I can answer it for you.
There's a big jump from hop 9 to hop 10 on your shaw trace.
This is not something shaw can control. In fact, you hit the same interface in both traces outside the shaw network. That router (hop 6 on shaw, hop 8 on vpn) is routing shaw traffic differently than Telus and your VPN traffic for some reason. (unless they're using anycast for interface IP addresses and it's not really the same router, which would be odd).

JustinW

Calgary, AB
@stolen Yeah I see them both going through Seattle at relatively the same ping so I don't understand why the end result is so different.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to ShawSean
The difference is they're coming through different ports on the Level 3 internet exchange in seattle. The VPN uses peer1 who either paid for a better peering agreement, or just has less traffic than they agreed to, while Shaw's looks to be operating close to or at capacity.

Basically, the internet exchange is a central node to where many ISPs connect to Tier 1 ISPs (like Level 3) to zip packets to far-flung destinations - across a country, a different continent, whatever. Or to pass traffic to other ISPs that they don't have direct peering arrangements with (it's the "default route" for Shaw's packets if Shaw doesn't have a better route for them).

ISPs like Shaw would have connections to several internet exchanges - one in Vancouver is often used for packets to send to another Canadian IP address.

Your VPN service uses Peer1 as a backbone, and apparently Peer1 decided zipping the packet to New York and back was faster (perhaps because the Vancouver-Seattle link is heavily utilized). The port Peer1 uses is probably less congested than Shaw's. At this stage, the links are point to point so there's no chance a packet can arrive through another port (this is for traffic flow measurement and billing). Peer1 has a lot of private infrastructure and backbone links, so its backbone is probably reserved for its traffic only.

JustinW

Calgary, AB
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for better peering.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
Thanks stolen and tlhIngan - excellent information as always.

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
Seems I need to bump my thread - for those DSLR members/lurkers that require support on their Shaw services, please don't hesitate to post your questions here.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

weaselbuddha

join:2007-10-12

2 edits
reply to ShawSean

What is the Deal with Shaw and Europe?

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
Is Shaw throttling connections to Europe to 350KB? What other explanation is there for what we are seeing?
Not likely. I've hit 50 mbps to Astraweb's european servers on my BB50 connection. Who knows what one of the peering or transit networks is doing. It is their AS, they can do whatever they want.

Who does my customer speak to about his extreme speed package actually being anything but?
Shaw tech support.

weaselbuddha

join:2007-10-12
said by ravenchilde:

Not likely. I've hit 50 mbps to Astraweb's european servers on my BB50 connection. Who knows what one of the peering or transit networks is doing. It is their AS, they can do whatever they want.

Your explanation for the same speed across two different backbone providers, backbones that in testing show no problems for anyone else not on Shaw - is that it is caprice? Coincidence? Just darn mysterious?

Level 3 - 350K
Cogent - 350K
LeaseWeb - 2.5M

As a provider how does one go about solving the the customer's problem, given your "crap happens" theory?

We really do want to solve this problem for our customer, yes we are frustrated, but we have been rigorous, and systematic, identifying each possible cause, and knocking it down - at no point did we say, lets prove that Shaw is a bad actor - that is just where the evidence led us.

I have trace routes, logs, and screen captures, 5 days thick all associated with our support ticket. I am more than willing to share - and work with anyone including Shaw, to find a better explanation, and maybe a solution.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

Seems I need to bump my thread - for those DSLR members/lurkers that require support on their Shaw services, please don't hesitate to post your questions here.

Cheers.

I'm really annoyed tonight I decided to use that free HD rental for August and instead spends the next hour and a half troubleshooting my bloody stupid gateway that refuses to accept orders from shaw gateway support, refuses to accept pin resets, and the poor techs have no bloody way to override a damn pin lockout. SOunds like a similar problem I ran into 6 months to a year ago. Get Arris to fix the piece of crap hardware with a decent software update. One of the rare times I try to use my gateway and don't get to enjoy it because I forgot a pin I havent used in months....

Solution: Remove the middleman and have shaw host focus groups with the hardware vendor of the gateway between the the actual programmers and shaw customers.....
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 20 · 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next