prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to JustinW

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

I can answer it for you.
There's a big jump from hop 9 to hop 10 on your shaw trace.
This is not something shaw can control. In fact, you hit the same interface in both traces outside the shaw network. That router (hop 6 on shaw, hop 8 on vpn) is routing shaw traffic differently than Telus and your VPN traffic for some reason. (unless they're using anycast for interface IP addresses and it's not really the same router, which would be odd).

JustinW

join:2012-07-16
Calgary, AB
@stolen Yeah I see them both going through Seattle at relatively the same ping so I don't understand why the end result is so different.

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
kudos:1
reply to ShawSean
The difference is they're coming through different ports on the Level 3 internet exchange in seattle. The VPN uses peer1 who either paid for a better peering agreement, or just has less traffic than they agreed to, while Shaw's looks to be operating close to or at capacity.

Basically, the internet exchange is a central node to where many ISPs connect to Tier 1 ISPs (like Level 3) to zip packets to far-flung destinations - across a country, a different continent, whatever. Or to pass traffic to other ISPs that they don't have direct peering arrangements with (it's the "default route" for Shaw's packets if Shaw doesn't have a better route for them).

ISPs like Shaw would have connections to several internet exchanges - one in Vancouver is often used for packets to send to another Canadian IP address.

Your VPN service uses Peer1 as a backbone, and apparently Peer1 decided zipping the packet to New York and back was faster (perhaps because the Vancouver-Seattle link is heavily utilized). The port Peer1 uses is probably less congested than Shaw's. At this stage, the links are point to point so there's no chance a packet can arrive through another port (this is for traffic flow measurement and billing). Peer1 has a lot of private infrastructure and backbone links, so its backbone is probably reserved for its traffic only.

JustinW

join:2012-07-16
Calgary, AB
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for better peering.

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to ShawSean
Thanks stolen and tlhIngan - excellent information as always.

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to ShawSean
Seems I need to bump my thread - for those DSLR members/lurkers that require support on their Shaw services, please don't hesitate to post your questions here.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

weaselbuddha

join:2007-10-12

2 edits
reply to ShawSean

What is the Deal with Shaw and Europe?

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
Is Shaw throttling connections to Europe to 350KB? What other explanation is there for what we are seeing?
Not likely. I've hit 50 mbps to Astraweb's european servers on my BB50 connection. Who knows what one of the peering or transit networks is doing. It is their AS, they can do whatever they want.

Who does my customer speak to about his extreme speed package actually being anything but?
Shaw tech support.

weaselbuddha

join:2007-10-12
said by ravenchilde:

Not likely. I've hit 50 mbps to Astraweb's european servers on my BB50 connection. Who knows what one of the peering or transit networks is doing. It is their AS, they can do whatever they want.

Your explanation for the same speed across two different backbone providers, backbones that in testing show no problems for anyone else not on Shaw - is that it is caprice? Coincidence? Just darn mysterious?

Level 3 - 350K
Cogent - 350K
LeaseWeb - 2.5M

As a provider how does one go about solving the the customer's problem, given your "crap happens" theory?

We really do want to solve this problem for our customer, yes we are frustrated, but we have been rigorous, and systematic, identifying each possible cause, and knocking it down - at no point did we say, lets prove that Shaw is a bad actor - that is just where the evidence led us.

I have trace routes, logs, and screen captures, 5 days thick all associated with our support ticket. I am more than willing to share - and work with anyone including Shaw, to find a better explanation, and maybe a solution.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

said by ShawSean:

Seems I need to bump my thread - for those DSLR members/lurkers that require support on their Shaw services, please don't hesitate to post your questions here.

Cheers.

I'm really annoyed tonight I decided to use that free HD rental for August and instead spends the next hour and a half troubleshooting my bloody stupid gateway that refuses to accept orders from shaw gateway support, refuses to accept pin resets, and the poor techs have no bloody way to override a damn pin lockout. SOunds like a similar problem I ran into 6 months to a year ago. Get Arris to fix the piece of crap hardware with a decent software update. One of the rare times I try to use my gateway and don't get to enjoy it because I forgot a pin I havent used in months....

Solution: Remove the middleman and have shaw host focus groups with the hardware vendor of the gateway between the the actual programmers and shaw customers.....

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
A reset works on the other terminals - I know there is a seperate command to just erase the pins, do neither work on the Gateway? That is interesting to know.

Are the pins set seperately on each portal? Or on the Gateway for all the Portals to be the same?

I used my credit, for PPV instead, that way I could record it

To be fair to Arris, it might not be their fault. It could be the firmware customizations done by the provider.

Is this still broken? Or did they eventually get your pin removed?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

pkarlos_76

join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB
reply to ShawSean
still unresolved, no command or seperate command erases the terminals pins that they have access too.

Anonytech

@shawcable.net
reply to pkarlos_76
@pkarlos,

There is a pin reset through the arris back end portal (provisioning system). Post your question onto the shaw community site since you are registered there and someone will help you. There are also video system engineers on there that can get er done.

Kevinds: recording now is an option in 7.0.4. Your should be able to order directly from your gateway and record. Have you tried this with the new firmware?

TAKN

join:2003-09-21
Calgary, AB
reply to ShawSean
Hi Sean. I sent you a PM a bit over a week ago but I have yet to hear anything back. I just wanted to double check and see if you received it. Thanks.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to Anonytech
Recording VOD? That might be a good reason to get a Gateway system now.

@pkarlos
I believe you are a member already, but...
»community.shaw.ca/thread/1335
Mark says he knows the process to reset a pin, and details some of it.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

AnonyTech

@shawcable.net
Hi kevinds,

No not vod, only ppv. This wasn't an option pre 7.0.4.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
reply to TAKN
said by TAKN:

Hi Sean. I sent you a PM a bit over a week ago but I have yet to hear anything back. I just wanted to double check and see if you received it. Thanks.

I'm sorry if I missed your pm, I'll double check and be in touch.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean
Sean, i upgraded to BB100 the other day.
Sometimes i peak at about 70mb download speeds but sometimes it dips super low!
I just did a Shaw speedtest and got:
31 ping, 5.62 download, 4.51 upload. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'd like an answer as to why the hell my speeds are so bad.
Thanks.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
said by Ambushes :

Sean, i upgraded to BB100 the other day.
Sometimes i peak at about 70mb download speeds but sometimes it dips super low!
I just did a Shaw speedtest and got:
31 ping, 5.62 download, 4.51 upload. Absolutely ridiculous.

I'd like an answer as to why the hell my speeds are so bad.
Thanks.

Would have to get quite a bit more info before I could provide you with a reasonable answer. If you could register and dm me with you account details - I'll investigate the issue further.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

join:2012-09-05
Winnipeg, MB
I messaged you, thanks.
Let me know if i have to give you any more info.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
Sounds good - the info you provided was great. We'll be in touch.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
Just wondering, would you be contacting me via DM on this website, eMail, Phone or something along those lines?
Thanks.

Wow. Just ran a Speedtest after i couldn't buffer a 360p video on Youtube.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2172160568.png

Speechless.. on BroadBand 100..

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
We'll be contacting you via phone. I'll set something up today for after 4pm CST as per your request.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

Winnipeg, MB
I apologize. I won't be home on 5:30-8:00 CST on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Sorry for the trouble. Hopefully i won't receive a call between those times today.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
Just pm me with the available times we're able to reach you at tonight and i'll see if we can accommodate.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit
Ok thanks. PMed.
Received my phone call. Support was much more helpful and nicer than others, at least that's how it seemed to me personally.
However he was still pretty dumbstruck as to why i was getting speeds lower than 5MB down.
On the bright side, he's noticed something and says he needs a few days to investigate it further.

Thanks for the help Sean.

deathray

join:2012-01-26
reply to ShawSean
Hi ShawSean,

Any info on whether nntp/usenet is being throttled? There are a few of us whose connections on usenet (giganews for me anyways) have really slowed down in the last while.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by deathray:

Hi ShawSean,

Any info on whether nntp/usenet is being throttled? There are a few of us whose connections on usenet (giganews for me anyways) have really slowed down in the last while.

Not being Throttled Hitting 26MB/s

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean
Sean,

Thanks for all your help yesterday, as well as Nathan. Appreciate how you two go the extra mile to things like modem swaps.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC
No problem man - glad we could help.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 21 · 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next