Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to ShawSean

Premium Member

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Hi, Shaw Sean. Could you answer me this question please. I got Shaw Phone installed about a month ago. It work well, actually great, except for one annoying occurrence. It sometimes just drops the signal and the phone goes dead. Lasts about 15 mins-1 hour. If I connect directly with the Phone Modem there is no problem.

The Phone modem is hooked up via a SPLITTER with the Internet Modem. The Internet is never affected. If I did not have an Alarm System I would not mind.

Does anyone with a Shaw Phone have signal drops like mine? Say every week or two. Is it normal. The Tech is at a loss to explain the reason. Don't blame him cause the Phone is fine when he comes.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

1 edit

pkarlos_76

said by capdjq:

Hi, Shaw Sean. Could you answer me this question please. I got Shaw Phone installed about a month ago. It work well, actually great, except for one annoying occurrence. It sometimes just drops the signal and the phone goes dead. Lasts about 15 mins-1 hour. If I connect directly with the Phone Modem there is no problem.

The Phone modem is hooked up via a SPLITTER with the Internet Modem. The Internet is never affected. If I did not have an Alarm System I would not mind.

Does anyone with a Shaw Phone have signal drops like mine? Say every week or two. Is it normal. The Tech is at a loss to explain the reason. Don't blame him cause the Phone is fine when he comes.

You said when you connect directly to the phone modem and it is fine, therefore this is not a problem with the Shaw Phone modem nor Shaw's service up to the modem. However, if the phone modem is tied into your former telus outlets network that you use to plug our phone in and your alarm is tied into the same outlets network there may be a conflict in the former telus outlets throughout the house that may have something to do with your alarm system. And when computers and electronics detect conflicts they tend to not work for awhile, or there is a intermittent connection issue between your former telus phone outlets circuit.

* P.S. Shaw or your Alarm company may be able to help with this but they must be willing to send a tech as soon as the problem occurs as I doubt they can detect intermittent telus outlet circuit issues when it is not occurring. One way to to test yourself is to know the layout of the telus outlets circuit and test each outlet when the issue occurs and trace the issue by determining which outlets out of all the outlets in the house are working and not working which could pinpoint or narrow the scope to where the issue is. The other way of resolving the issue might involve a time consuming third party company, if you are desperate enough.

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. i have no idea how the phone line works.
However, the tech last week, disconnected all the jacks that were non-operational. I only use 2 outlets for Shaw. Then it happened again about 2 hours after he left. Drats.

Its like a stalling car. Never stalls in the repair shop.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

There's either a problem with your house wiring or something conflicting with your alarm system. If you pm me your account details we can setup another service call to see if it's something we're able to pinpoint.

Cheers.

anon35
@shawcable.net

anon35

Anon

ShawSean, I have home phone with Shaw and one of the phone jacks in the house dont work. Most other work, but there is one in the basement that doesnt work and I want to use it. Will Shaw fix it for me? Is there any charge?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

It depends on what needs fixing. If it's something that can be done by removing the cover and rewiring we can definitely assist with that. If the outlet itself is not wired properly(house wiring) then you'd have to contact an electrician.
qVAMPIREp
join:2011-02-28
Calgary, AB

qVAMPIREp to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: About to give up all hope...

said by ShawSean:

Thanks for the kind words guys, much appreciated.

@qVAMPIREq - just let me know how things turn out.

I would say BB100 is a total fail so far...

I did get a CISCO router (Good) that was not set in Bridged Mode (Bad) that now gives me a ping of 85 ms double my old Extreme (Bad) and I only get 24.96 Mbps D/L and 4.16 U/L

The tech did not set my modem to bridged mode because he said things need to stabilize??? Then he told me that I should only expect 80% of my speed. Last time I went to school 25/100 ain't 80%..... I've tried Terago, Giganews with 50 connections etc. she's a dawg... woof woof

I'll try some more testing later tonight and tomorrow. Maybe the broadband fairy will visit me if I sleep with my old router under my pillow tonight and give me another 75 Mbps...

uvic2
@shawcable.net

uvic2 to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

1) ETA for phase 2 rollout in Victoria, BC?

2) With regard to the "non-realtime P2P" (80kbps limit) throttling, what sort of conditions are necessary for it to kick in? It seems to be applied 24/7.
cujo74
join:2011-09-16
Surrey, BC

cujo74

Strange, the feedback address wouldn't come up. Tried googlin it as well. Definitely have some suggestions.
lazz0
join:2011-09-27
Winnipeg, MB

lazz0 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Getting my gateway + 4 portals installed next friday. Can't wait to try it out.

Question though, does the gateway speak to the portals wirelessly? or is there an option to hardwire? Asking because I already have cat6 running to every room in my house all with a starting point of a sort of "server room" (walk-in closet) in the basement.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@qVAMPIREq - pm me your account details if you don't mind, i'd like to see the levels etc.

@uvic2 - 1) still awaiting an updated schedule for our Digital Network Upgrades (DNU). Once I get my hands on it i'll update this thread with that information.

2) Absolutely no idea, sorry.

@cujo74 - if you have suggestions, shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. Was that what you were referring to?

@lazz - Nice! no, it's all wired via coax.

Maf0
join:2005-02-10
T6X0X4

Maf0 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hey ShawSean! Quick question. Seems the online chat nor the people on the phone can give me a straight answer. I get different answers with each person I ask at Shaw. So I thought I'd ask you here. Seems the information I've gotten from you on these forums is fairly accurate so you're my last resort, lol

Do you know an ETA of when BB250 will be available in the Sherwood Park area in Alberta? My postal code is T8C-1J7 if that helps. I'm currently on BB100 so DOCSIS 3.0 is in my area.

Thanks!

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

Sean will post when the new 250Mb plan will be available when he finds out. He has stated that a few times, nor does he know the actual answer yet. We are all excited about this new plan, but unfortunately they haven't released any information, even to their own employees.
j0tun
join:2011-09-17
canada

j0tun to Maf0

to Maf0
Might not want to post your postal code somewhere public, I may feel the need to send you useless things
qVAMPIREp
join:2011-02-28
Calgary, AB

qVAMPIREp to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Click for full size
Speedtest
Thanks Sean! Much Appreciated! A pictures worth a thousand words..

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

said by qVAMPIREp:

Thanks Sean! Much Appreciated! A pictures worth a thousand words..

haha! nice speeds, glad we could help.

Thanks Rusty, yea guys, your guess is as good as mine right now on bb250 but as I've stated before, as soon as I receive word from operations on our DNU upgrades, i'll pass it along to you.
cassijon
join:2011-09-19
Richmond, BC

cassijon

ShawSean,

im in the richmond area and the downed service we all experienced on monday, ive experienced 3 times in the last 3 weeks now. should i expect a credit on my bill?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@cassijon - I apologize about the downtime, it's definitely not what we want to deliver. We're currently undergoing a full Digital Network Upgrade (DNU) in the Richmond area that will allow us to expand our offerings there including Broadband 250 Internet. Our teams are taking the utmost care in ensuring we don't have any downtime for our customers but unfortunately are unable to guarantee this will never happen. If you have any questions about your account, please email us at ecare.help[at]sjrb.ca.

Cheers.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

Sean are you able to elaborate as to what parts of Richmond are being worked on?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Don't know what exact areas DanteX, sorry.

mrock
@shawcable.net

mrock

Anon

Ok, so I recently upgraded to shaw 50, and my speetests are always fine(recent: 39ms, ~44, ~2.8), but I get huge lag spikes constantly when playing online games (both on PC and Xbox), I'm connected directly through the modem, so how can I fix this?

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq to cassijon

Premium Member

to cassijon
said by cassijon:

ShawSean,

im in the richmond area and the downed service we all experienced on monday, ive experienced 3 times in the last 3 weeks now. should i expect a credit on my bill?

I, too, live in Richmond. Haven't had a down time for ages. Guess depends where you live.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to mrock

to mrock
said by mrock :

Ok, so I recently upgraded to shaw 50, and my speetests are always fine(recent: 39ms, ~44, ~2.8), but I get huge lag spikes constantly when playing online games (both on PC and Xbox), I'm connected directly through the modem, so how can I fix this?

We'd have to run a few tests to see if the poor latency is in or outside the network first. Have you run a tracert when you get the bad spikes?

derf007
@shawcable.net

derf007 to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Hi ShawSean;
I was wondering if you would know if I can use a Cisco Model PDC3010 Cable modem with shaw internet?
My connection service is in prince george and use extreme service. I have posted the message by it's self but got know answer from anyone.
thanks
fred

tardcart
@shawcable.net

tardcart to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
ShawSean i have shaw extreme and a motorolla SB5101 modem.

When downloading files from file hosts i get a lot of lost connections and when it resumes the speed slows to a crawl. A lot of the time the file ends up corrupt with a crc error as well. This has been going on for a couple months now(i think since BB50/100/etc were introduced) and Im not the only one with this problem judging by what others have said online and It is not hardware related on the users end.

What the hell is wrong and why hasnt shaw corrected the problem?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

2 edits

ShawSean to derf007

to derf007
@derf007 - You can only use the new Cisco modems for our BB50+ broadband packages.

@tardcart - Hey, there's a few things we need to help determine what's going on.

1. Method of download (http/torrent/ftp)
2. If http/ftp, the site. Torrents?
3. Size of file.
4. Is modem in bridged or wireless.
5. 3rd party router, do you have one?

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Sean, since switching to my Business BB50, my VOD has been flaky. Both STB's keep giving this error once in a while. Called in once and half way through the conversation with the rep it started working again (of course, right?).

VOD ordering is not enabled on your DCT

Error number: 22471

tardcart
@shawcable.net

tardcart to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
@tardcart - Hey, there's a few things we need to help determine what's going on.

1. Method of download (http/torrent/ftp)
http

2. If http/ftp, the site. Torrents?
filesonic, oron, hotfile, rapidshare, etc.

3. Size of file.
30MB to 8GB, size doesnt matter.

4. Is modem in bridged or wireless.
connects into wireless router

5. 3rd party router, do you have one?
yes, linksys wrt54gl, but i've tried downloading without the router and get the same results.

like i said im not the only one thats been having this issue since the new plans got introduced. i've already tested my hardware to make sure nothing has gone bad and all is good on my end. it sucks having to download files over and over again hoping it doesnt end up corrupt.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to rustydusty

to rustydusty
@rustydusty - hmm, strange you'd get a ordering not enabled message, let me look into it for you.

@tardcart - Thanks for the info, there's a chance your modem may be faulty. If you could register on the site and PM me your account details, we'll be in touch.
newcdn4
join:2011-09-30
Canada

newcdn4

ShawSean i sent you a PM 3 days ago but you haven't replied yet. Please check.