normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next

ShawSean

join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC
kudos:12
reply to Ambushes

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Sounds good - the info you provided was great. We'll be in touch.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

join:2012-09-05
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

Just wondering, would you be contacting me via DM on this website, eMail, Phone or something along those lines?
Thanks.

Wow. Just ran a Speedtest after i couldn't buffer a 360p video on Youtube.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2172160568.png

Speechless.. on BroadBand 100..

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

We'll be contacting you via phone. I'll set something up today for after 4pm CST as per your request.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

Winnipeg, MB

I apologize. I won't be home on 5:30-8:00 CST on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Sorry for the trouble. Hopefully i won't receive a call between those times today.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Just pm me with the available times we're able to reach you at tonight and i'll see if we can accommodate.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

Ok thanks. PMed.
Received my phone call. Support was much more helpful and nicer than others, at least that's how it seemed to me personally.
However he was still pretty dumbstruck as to why i was getting speeds lower than 5MB down.
On the bright side, he's noticed something and says he needs a few days to investigate it further.

Thanks for the help Sean.

deathray

join:2012-01-26
reply to ShawSean

Hi ShawSean,

Any info on whether nntp/usenet is being throttled? There are a few of us whose connections on usenet (giganews for me anyways) have really slowed down in the last while.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

said by deathray:

Hi ShawSean,

Any info on whether nntp/usenet is being throttled? There are a few of us whose connections on usenet (giganews for me anyways) have really slowed down in the last while.

Not being Throttled Hitting 26MB/s

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean

Sean,

Thanks for all your help yesterday, as well as Nathan. Appreciate how you two go the extra mile to things like modem swaps.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

No problem man - glad we could help.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to ShawSean

My sister says thanks as well. They are now flying with an old SB5102 and a DI-655 and no more SMC garbage!

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01
kudos:2
reply to deathray

said by deathray:

Any info on whether nntp/usenet is being throttled?

Shaw's AUP specifies it is not being throttled as they do not throttle downloads, and only throttle P2P non-realtime applications that use a 'disproportionate' amount of upstream bandwidth, with NNTP does not.

»www.shaw.ca/Terms-of-Use/

(under Acceptable Use Policy - Internet)

Last updated: June 7, 2011
Shaw uses traffic management policies to ensure proportional access to its network for all Shaw Internet customers. Some Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications used for non real-time file sharing can consume a disproportionate amount of upstream bandwidth causing disruption to other customers on Shaw's network. Shaw's traffic management policies were introduced to quickly address any upstream congestion caused by these P2P applications while standard network expansion activities are undertaken to increase the bandwidth availability for all users.
Shaw's traffic management policies come into effect only if upstream network congestion occurs on a network segment. If congestion occurs, the traffic management policies reduce the amount of upstream bandwidth available for P2P applications completing non real-time file transfer activity to 80 kbps per end-user.
Shaw's traffic management policies do not affect download speeds and will not affect real-time interactive activities such as on-line gaming, banking, e-mail or VoIP services. For the majority of Shaw customers the Internet experience is unaffected by our traffic management policies and both upstream and downstream bandwidth will be available to ensure the full operation of any application.
The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw use IP addresses to make real-time traffic management decisions in relation to Shaw's network. Since IP addresses have the potential to be linked to an individual's customer account, IP addresses could be considered personal information. The traffic management policies implemented by Shaw do not involve capturing, storing or archiving this information in any way.

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
reply to ShawSean

Heres some Sab speeds

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
reply to ShawSean

Just to help out. I'm not experiencing any issues with NNTP. I'm running full speed on bb50.

jasonreid

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Curious, is it possible to bridge a DPC3825 on a HS20 plan like I have? Had a tech on the online chat who said they can definitely do it for BB50 or higher plans, but not for HS20 plans as in DOCSIS 2 mode it can only do wireless (which seems strange, as in router mode I can turn the wireless off).

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit

All my current information says no, HS20 with the gateway modems, can not be bridged.

While the DPC3825 will bond channels, making it a better modem, you should see if you can get it swapped for the SB51xx modems if you need a bridge-modem.
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Kevinds is right, you can't bridge if you're on HS20 - your best bet is to swap it for a wired Motorola.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

mike10

join:2004-03-02
reply to ShawSean

do you know if there are any plans for a android app on this new Shaw Go service

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

Is "Shaw Go" even anything different?
(I haven't heard about it until just now).

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

Hooray! it's not an Exo product!
»www.shaw.ca/television/shaw-go/
When do we get an android app, ShawSean??

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by stolen:

Hooray! it's not an Exo product!
»www.shaw.ca/television/shaw-go/
When do we get an android app, ShawSean??

I'm not sure Shaw can pull this one off as well as Bell. Bell also owns their own cell network. IE they can add free hours that don't count as usage on their monthly contracts. Shaw doesn't provide cell service, so unless you can find some reliable wifi, the idea of this product annihilating monthly cell phone caps is daunting....

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Not sure on when we'll see an Android app release, but it can't be too far behind.

As for data, Shaw Wifi is always expanding - and for some is already a viable solution.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Ambushes

Winnipeg, MB
reply to ShawSean

Okay, i don't mean to be rude, but i don't know what the hell is happening.
I appreciate the help, just a few days ago i was notified that some Shaw people came by and marked some lines on our lawn. Apparently they're changing the lines or something. I wasn't there so i wasn't able to hear the specifics.. but i just ask you speed up whatever this process is!

I thought it was bad 2 weeks ago. Just a moment ago i had a 400 ms ping, 0.0 (yes, you heard that right.) download, and 0.4 upload. I actually failed the ping and download speed tests prior to that one. I didn't bother with the speedtest because i closed the browser when the site didn't load after 2 minutes.
Now i'm at about 2 down / 1.5 up.

Ouch.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

I look into your account and see what's happening. I'll pm you with an update as soon as I learn more.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Jordih

join:2012-09-23
Kamloops, BC
reply to ShawSean

Hey there, if you have the time, you should check out my thread and see what you think about the issue I am having.

Xison

@shawcable.net
reply to ShawSean

Hi ShawSean,

I have an issue here with my Shaw Highspeed Extreme connection.

Beginning Sept 26th, I virtually had no connection. Shaw Speedtest I'd get anywhere from 40ms 200ms PING, 2Mbps Downstream, and Upstream would always fail.

I contacted tech support in the afternoon of Sept 27th when I realized the problem wasn't going to resolve itself. After going through their processes twice (I was disconnected by the first, silly cell phone doesn't work in this house, apparently), we came to no real conclusion either conversation I had.

Here is some of my information: I live in Moose Jaw, Sask. Shaw High Speed Extreme, Moto SurfBoard Modem (not sure which model this exact moment).
I do have a router, with two wired computers. I run Gentoo Linux on both, no iptables or firewall/antivirus.

Before considering calling support I connected my primary workstation directly to the modem, same problems.

It is now Sept 28th around 1:20am. I am averaging around 18-22Mbps Downstream (Excellent)... the problem now lies in my Upstream. I'm getting around 0.35Mbps on the Shaw Speedtest, and less at other places.

Running ping requests (50+ at a time - sequentially) to various places all over the Internet (google.ca, my own server, yahoo, etc. etc.) and I seem to be getting about a 3%-5% packet loss.

Trying to scp a 10MB file to my server I have housed in a datacenter in Pennsylvania, I'm averaging about 20KB/s (~0.16Mbps) Upstream. It bursts at the beginning around 90KB/s, but immediately drops to 20's, even dips as low as 8-9KB/s. I have a 100Mbps connection on the server. When SSH'd in, using wget, I can usually max that right out (sustained ~12MB/s).

So I ask you, do you have any thoughts on things I should check? I've double checked all of the cabling inside the house, I can't really get at the cabling on the outside of the house, but from what I can see, nothing has been visually damaged in the last few days.

I personally think it's the modem... I've been debating upgrading to the BB50 plan, but am weary of the "Modem." I have my networking setup the way I want, I don't want the added "functionality." The only competitor here (Sasktel) introduced an "all in one" modem/wifi/router like that and it was abysmal, which is _why_ I switched to Shaw in the first place (and it's been great up until this hiccup).

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Hey Xison - I apologize for not seeing your post earlier, not sure why I didn't get a notification. Regardless, are you still experiencing this packet loss? if so please either register on the boards and pm me your contact details or send me a direct message on the Shaw Community. We'll investigate this further.

Cheers
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Xison

join:2012-09-28
Moose Jaw, SK

I have registered and sent you a message.

ShawSean

Vernon, BC

Replied, let me know if that works.

Cheers.
--
Sean
Shaw Community Manager

Laird

join:2012-02-04
Vancouver, BC

Hey Sean,

I changed my service to BB100 up from BB50 and had some issues.(nothing from Shaw) I did a switch back to BB50 and everything is great; however, the CSR's have charged me for BB100, unbundled all my services and are charging me individually for them. I called to have it fixed, they said there was a work order was sent to some division to get codes they needed to fix the issue on my bill, it is open still as of 10/2/12. I originally called about the fixing of my bill well over a week ago. Think you can help?

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 22 · 23 · 24 · 25 · 26 · 27 ... 29 · 30 · 31 · next