join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to stolen

to stolen

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

said by stolen:

Hooray! it's not an Exo product!
»www.shaw.ca/television/shaw-go/
When do we get an android app, ShawSean??

I'm not sure Shaw can pull this one off as well as Bell. Bell also owns their own cell network. IE they can add free hours that don't count as usage on their monthly contracts. Shaw doesn't provide cell service, so unless you can find some reliable wifi, the idea of this product annihilating monthly cell phone caps is daunting....

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Not sure on when we'll see an Android app release, but it can't be too far behind.

As for data, Shaw Wifi is always expanding - and for some is already a viable solution.

Cheers.
Ambushes
join:2012-09-05
Winnipeg, MB

Ambushes to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Okay, i don't mean to be rude, but i don't know what the hell is happening.
I appreciate the help, just a few days ago i was notified that some Shaw people came by and marked some lines on our lawn. Apparently they're changing the lines or something. I wasn't there so i wasn't able to hear the specifics.. but i just ask you speed up whatever this process is!

I thought it was bad 2 weeks ago. Just a moment ago i had a 400 ms ping, 0.0 (yes, you heard that right.) download, and 0.4 upload. I actually failed the ping and download speed tests prior to that one. I didn't bother with the speedtest because i closed the browser when the site didn't load after 2 minutes.
Now i'm at about 2 down / 1.5 up.

Ouch.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

I look into your account and see what's happening. I'll pm you with an update as soon as I learn more.

Cheers.
Jordih
join:2012-09-23
Kamloops, BC

Jordih to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hey there, if you have the time, you should check out my thread and see what you think about the issue I am having.

Xison
@shawcable.net

Xison to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Hi ShawSean,

I have an issue here with my Shaw Highspeed Extreme connection.

Beginning Sept 26th, I virtually had no connection. Shaw Speedtest I'd get anywhere from 40ms 200ms PING, 2Mbps Downstream, and Upstream would always fail.

I contacted tech support in the afternoon of Sept 27th when I realized the problem wasn't going to resolve itself. After going through their processes twice (I was disconnected by the first, silly cell phone doesn't work in this house, apparently), we came to no real conclusion either conversation I had.

Here is some of my information: I live in Moose Jaw, Sask. Shaw High Speed Extreme, Moto SurfBoard Modem (not sure which model this exact moment).
I do have a router, with two wired computers. I run Gentoo Linux on both, no iptables or firewall/antivirus.

Before considering calling support I connected my primary workstation directly to the modem, same problems.

It is now Sept 28th around 1:20am. I am averaging around 18-22Mbps Downstream (Excellent)... the problem now lies in my Upstream. I'm getting around 0.35Mbps on the Shaw Speedtest, and less at other places.

Running ping requests (50+ at a time - sequentially) to various places all over the Internet (google.ca, my own server, yahoo, etc. etc.) and I seem to be getting about a 3%-5% packet loss.

Trying to scp a 10MB file to my server I have housed in a datacenter in Pennsylvania, I'm averaging about 20KB/s (~0.16Mbps) Upstream. It bursts at the beginning around 90KB/s, but immediately drops to 20's, even dips as low as 8-9KB/s. I have a 100Mbps connection on the server. When SSH'd in, using wget, I can usually max that right out (sustained ~12MB/s).

So I ask you, do you have any thoughts on things I should check? I've double checked all of the cabling inside the house, I can't really get at the cabling on the outside of the house, but from what I can see, nothing has been visually damaged in the last few days.

I personally think it's the modem... I've been debating upgrading to the BB50 plan, but am weary of the "Modem." I have my networking setup the way I want, I don't want the added "functionality." The only competitor here (Sasktel) introduced an "all in one" modem/wifi/router like that and it was abysmal, which is _why_ I switched to Shaw in the first place (and it's been great up until this hiccup).

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey Xison - I apologize for not seeing your post earlier, not sure why I didn't get a notification. Regardless, are you still experiencing this packet loss? if so please either register on the boards and pm me your contact details or send me a direct message on the Shaw Community. We'll investigate this further.

Cheers
Xison
join:2012-09-28
Moose Jaw, SK

Xison

I have registered and sent you a message.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Replied, let me know if that works.

Cheers.
Laird
join:2012-02-04
Vancouver, BC

Laird

Hey Sean,

I changed my service to BB100 up from BB50 and had some issues.(nothing from Shaw) I did a switch back to BB50 and everything is great; however, the CSR's have charged me for BB100, unbundled all my services and are charging me individually for them. I called to have it fixed, they said there was a work order was sent to some division to get codes they needed to fix the issue on my bill, it is open still as of 10/2/12. I originally called about the fixing of my bill well over a week ago. Think you can help?
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to ShawSean

to ShawSean
ShawSean, in another thread I noted that I wasn't getting a picture on one channel (Nat Geo Wild HD), to which I've been told it's MPEG-4 and my DVRs are too old to receive it (DCT3416/DCT3412).

Is there a way to swap them out or something with one that can get those channels?

derppp
@terago.net

derppp

Anon

Hello, I like the new movie central app for my iphone however I would like to see this app for my samsung tablet. When will this app be available for android?
Mike_C
join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC

Mike_C to ShawSean

to ShawSean
So when is Shaw ever going to get the rest of the channels that are supposed to come with Oasis HD? They are a 4 pack normally but Shaw only has Oasis HD...

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to Laird

to Laird
Hey guys, sorry for the delay in responding - have that nasty bug that's going around right now... hopefully you guys don't catch it.

Anyway - @Laird - responded to your pm

@tlhIngan - For equipment upgrades you'll have to contact customer service - that really isn't my area of expertise.

@derppp - We're currently working on the Android app, there's no current ETA for release however.

@Mike_C - This I don't know Mike. If you send me your account details and the channels you'd like to see added to the lineup, I can put through that request.

Cheers.
Skud
join:2002-04-22
Northfield, OH

Skud to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi Sean,

Hope you're feeling better.

Do you know if/when Shaw will be offering unlimited cable Internet packages for business? I need a static IP and the caps on the the current business connections are too low.

Riley

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey Skud - Haven't heard anything on unlimited small business offerings.

Check out: »shaw.ca/Business/Interne ··· ervices/

There are some 1TB options available.

Cheers,
Sean
Skud
join:2002-04-22
Northfield, OH

Skud

said by ShawSean:

Hey Skud - Haven't heard anything on unlimited small business offerings.

Check out: »shaw.ca/Business/Interne ··· ervices/

There are some 1TB options available.

Cheers,
Sean

Thanks for the info.

Currently, I'm at 3TB - 4TB/mo. doing off-site replication, so the 1TB limit is too low.

In my opinion, paying $249 - $349/mo. for Internet and being limited to 1TB isn't a very good deal.

I really hope this changes in the near future.

Riley

Kazul
@shawcable.net

Kazul to Mike_C

Anon

to Mike_C
Hey Mike_C

Good news for you, FX came out on October 11th.

The standard def channel is on 156 (channel 137 in Hamilton, ON).

The HD channel is on 267. You may however not have this channel yet as it is only available in areas that have gone through the DNU (Digital Network Upgrade). - You also need an MPEG4 digital box. (A lot of new HD channels as well as NFL Sunday Ticket and NHL Center Ice require these newer DCTs).

The Pace Summit, DCX 3200, DCX 3400 and the Shaw Gateway are all able to broadcast in MPEG 4 if you're wondering what can play the channel. (I sadly cannot get it due to having an older 3416).

Hope this info helps!
stryc9
join:2008-11-20
Victoria, BC

1 edit

stryc9 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Is Shaw throttling any of the uploads to streaming sites such as Twitch.TV and Own3d.TV?

My bandwidth tests that I have run everywhere get me above 2.5 Up, but to either of those services when I do a bandwidth test its just a hair over 1.

EDIT: DERP! A router reboot and some tweaking and this is now fixed... sorry.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Kazul

Premium Member

to Kazul
DNU is not a requirement, but MPEG4 hardware is.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Now just to figure out if Shaw will exchange the boxes. After all, if you got the channels, it would definitely suck if you're paying for 'em and can't get 'em. (I wonder if one could arrange for a few dollar discount on service for getting channels you can't receive...).
EK76
join:2011-10-16
Calgary, AB

EK76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
i read online that student bundle pricing is expiring tmr? (Oct 15, 2012)

is this true?

also, can you tell me what the current prices should be for someone on the student promo Sean?

I just wanted to double check my bill and see if im being charged correctly or if there is something missing

i have sent u a PM also with this...but i thought i should post here too in case the student promo expiring is legit

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

The student promo will likely be expiring, I would have thought it would before this...

If you are on it, then you have your promo, but no new signups after the 15th.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to EK76

to EK76
Hey EK - I'll have someone contact you and follow up regarding your account and pricing - I don't have details sorry.

Cheers.
kaugustino9
join:2003-06-07
Edmonton, AB

kaugustino9 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hello ShawSean,

I've been having some really poor speed issues here in Edmonton for the past couple of weeks. I think I might have tracked the problem to a lossy router of a transit provider Shaw is peered with. Here is an mtr from myself to my server:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------- -|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|----- -|
| 192.168.2.1 - 0 | 101 | 101 | 0 | 0 | 16 | 0 |
| No response from host - 100 | 101 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 | 0 |
| tl11ni.ed.shawcable.net - 0 | 101 | 101 | 0 | 14 | 63 | 15 |
| 66.163.78.170 - 0 | 100 | 100 | 15 | 27 | 47 | 16 |
| rd1he-ge4-3.rd.shawcable.net - 0 | 100 | 100 | 15 | 31 | 47 | 31 |
|ix-3-1-0-0.tcore1.00S-Seattle.as6453.net - 0 | 100 | 100 | 62 | 72 | 109 | 78 |
| if-14-2.tcore1.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net - 0 | 100 | 100 | 78 | 86 | 141 | 78 |
| if-2-2.tcore2.PDI-PaloAlto.as6453.net - 1 | 100 | 99 | 62 | 73 | 125 | 62 |
| Vlan3254.icore1.SQN-SanJose.as6453.net - 14 | 100 | 86 | 62 | 75 | 94 | 78 |
|te0-7-0-2.ccr22.sjc03.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 100 | 100 | 78 | 94 | 110 | 94 |
|te0-2-0-3.ccr22.sjc01.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 100 | 100 | 78 | 84 | 94 | 78 |
|te0-0-0-4.ccr22.sfo01.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 100 | 100 | 78 | 85 | 110 | 93 |
|te0-1-0-2.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com - 0 | 100 | 100 | 78 | 95 | 157 | 93 |
| te4-3.ccr01.stl03.atlas.cogentco.com - 13 | 100 | 87 | 78 | 137 | 359 | 203 |
| 38.104.162.66 - 24 | 100 | 76 | 78 | 88 | 187 | 78 |
|static-ip-209-239-125-4.inaddr.ip-pool.com - 25 | 100 | 75 | 93 | 96 | 110 | 94 |
| dragon305.startdedicated.com - 9 | 100 | 91 | 78 | 93 | 110 | 94 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|_____ _|
WinMTR - 0.8. Copyleft @2000-2002 Vasile Laurentiu Stanimir ( stanimir@cr.nivis.com )

I know mtr isn't really fool proof since a lot of backbone routers prioritize traffic directed at them differently than what is routed through them. However I believe the as6453.net routers to be the source of this problem. I did some further testing using looking glasses from both as6453.net and cogentco. From the as6453 looking glass pinging back to me there was packet loss in 2 out of every 5 runs, but no packet loss when I ran the test going forward to the server I mtr'd. Using the cogentco looking glass pinging back to me there was also packet loss pinging back to me, but no packet loss pinging toward the server again. So I'm fairly certain the problem lies with as6453.

If you could help me with this issue I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

Jumpy
@shawcable.net

Jumpy

Anon

said by kaugustino9:

Hello ShawSean,

I've been having some really poor speed issues here in Edmonton for the past couple of weeks. I think I might have tracked the problem to a lossy router of a transit provider Shaw is peered with. Here is an mtr from myself to my server:

[snip]

I know mtr isn't really fool proof since a lot of backbone routers prioritize traffic directed at them differently than what is routed through them. However I believe the as6453.net routers to be the source of this problem. I did some further testing using looking glasses from both as6453.net and cogentco. From the as6453 looking glass pinging back to me there was packet loss in 2 out of every 5 runs, but no packet loss when I ran the test going forward to the server I mtr'd. Using the cogentco looking glass pinging back to me there was also packet loss pinging back to me, but no packet loss pinging toward the server again. So I'm fairly certain the problem lies with as6453.

If you could help me with this issue I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

I took a look at your destination from my connection in Calgary. While I don't end up routing through as6453.net I still end up with a large amount of packetloss near the end of cogentco's network (more than you were seeing). Wanting to avoid any re-prioritization of ICMP packets I re-ran my test using TCP SYN packets to port 80, followed by a RST packet, by the bucketful (assuming a bucket is 100 packets for each respective TTL :P) I didn't want more than 100 since that could be seen as a SYN flood. The same principle applies with the default *nix UDP traceroute though; when a packet expires an ICMP packet should be sent back indicating the original packet expired in transit.

You can have a look at my results (and the command I ran) here »pastebin.com/q4W4eVSe - its pretty huge and I didn't want to clutter up this forum.

What I see is that around hop 15 ("around" because there are different routes used for each packet right from the get go [I enforced a start TTL of 4, and even then we had divergent routes], not that different routes are necessarily a bad thing) the 'time exceeded in-transit' packets were starting to be reliably unseen.

A few hops further, however, (around 17) we start to see reliable 'time exceeded in-transit' responses again. This means that while these cogentco routers are not sending the 'time exceeded in-transit' packets (either load related or design related), they are not seeing much packetloss; the TCP SYN packets are making it through when the TTL is high enough.

The last hop (18) is supposed to be your target (dragon305.startdedicated.com), but due to the differing paths 209.239.152.4 shows up for ~50% of the responses. Since it is listening on port 80 we should see SYN ACK packets back from it (i.e. packets that would not be re-prioritized or preferentially dropped by the network in between). The 209.239.125.4 responses there are the same-old 'time exceeded in-transit'. If we prune out the divergent route responses (and only focus on the SYN ACK responses we need to look at), I count 52 responses and 2 lost packets, just shy of 4% packetloss right at the destination.

If you have a linux machine, or can get a linux VM running, I would try to run the same test from your location to see if your results match mine.
kaugustino9
Edmonton, AB

kaugustino9

Thanks for taking the time to help test.

I ran an mtr from the server to the first hop listed in your test to see if the return route would be much different than the forward route. It was, it does use as6534 going back to you (well as close as I could get back to you since I don't know your IP):

Packets Pings
Host Loss% Snt Last Avg Best Wrst StD ev
1. static-ip-69-64-35-253.inaddr.ip-pool.com 0.0% 101 2.5 2.7 1.3 7.2 1 .5
2. static-ip-209-239-125-2.inaddr.ip-pool.com 0.0% 100 0.5 3.6 0.4 54.3 10 .3
3. te3-7.ccr01.stl03.atlas.cogentco.com 0.0% 100 18.2 46.0 0.6 460.6 75 .9
4. te0-2-0-5.ccr22.ord01.atlas.cogentco.com 0.0% 100 7.7 7.6 7.4 8.0 0 .1
5. te0-5-0-3.ccr22.ord03.atlas.cogentco.com 0.0% 100 7.8 7.8 7.6 8.1 0 .1
6. ix-1-3-1-0.tcore1.CT8-Chicago.as6453.net 7.0% 100 18.4 24.3 17.7 71.5 10 .7
7. 66.110.14.14 4.0% 100 29.7 24.7 19.0 34.4 3 .6
8. rc2ec-tge0-0-1-0.il.shawcable.net 3.0% 100 22.4 22.1 18.9 72.5 5 .6
9. rd2cs-tge1-1-1.ok.shawcable.net 3.0% 100 38.1 38.4 34.3 42.4 2 .3
10. rc2so-tge0-3-0-0.cg.shawcable.net 7.0% 100 73.5 72.8 70.8 77.3 1 .3

I haven't done a forward test like you did yet, but will shortly.
kaugustino9

kaugustino9 to Jumpy

to Jumpy
Here is the tcptraceroute from home to the server: »pastebin.com/hjnZdgD7

Looks like it gets bad toward the end of as6534 again... I don't know if this is really a reliable test since we are still sending packets directly to routers...they may still deprioritize tcp packets sent to them.

Please tell me your thoughts on these results.

Thanks.

Jumpy
@shawcable.net

Jumpy

Anon

You aren't sending them directly to the routers; you're still addressing your packets to your destination (dragon305). The only difference between the tcptraceroute and a tcp connection is that tcptraceroute artificially limits the TTL of the packet, causing the normal packet handling of each router along the way to encounter an 'expire' condition which _should_ be dealt with by sending an ICMP packet in response. This ICMP response packet is what is used to determine the route the packets are taking.

Looking at your paste, I see the same thing I saw in mine. One router (66.198.97.10, hop 10) shows a bunch of timeouts. This simply means that the ICMP response packet was never seen. The very next hop (11, 154.54.12.21) shows no timeouts. This means that your TCP packets are making it through just fine and the SYNACK response is making its way back just fine.

Actually, it is only hop 10 that is showing any sort of issue. Since we know that it is relaying the TCP packets properly, and that there are no timeouts that occur after it, I don't think we can blame anything on a network issue. I added a longer wait (add -w 10 somewhere in that command) to my trace and the final hop for me showed no loss (some 3 second + responses that were not seen prior to that final hop though). I'd start by opening a ticket with your hosting provider (I assume that dragon305 is your host).
kaugustino9
Edmonton, AB

kaugustino9

I have opened tickets with the server host, they think that its a problem with as6453 too, but they don't have a peering agreement with them so they can't complain about it. Shaw does have a peering agreement with as6453 though, so I was kind of hoping they could complain about the loss. I can download fast from that server using other servers that don't route through as6453.