uniqs
pp1111
join:2004-09-13
canada

pp1111 to ShawSean

to ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

Hi Sean,

My SMC modem will sudden self reboot/power cycle once to few times a week (in bridge mode). Called/Chat with Shaw many times for months but they said is extremely normal. Emailed them but never got reply. They said my signal is good also.
I never have this problem with my old Motorola modem.

Many thanks inadvance.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Karthanon

Premium Member

to Karthanon
The email addresses are still on the system, on the account they were last on.

Not enough time has passed, for them to be deleted off the system to be reused by someone else.

Have to have the account holder, who had them on the last active account, contact Shaw, and release them, and have your current Shaw customer friend contact Shaw to take them onto their account.

It is not a matter of re-creating them, they need to be transfered. Logging in, and seeing your contact list, shows that they have not been deleted off the system.

Sean may be able to do this, but will need all the account details, or he'll have someone call you back But that is what needs to happen, and hopefully explains why it is not working for you.
Karthanon
join:2007-01-12
Canada

Karthanon to ShawSean

to ShawSean
I just thought I would ask this question here - although I'm no longer a Shaw customer, I'm getting conflicting information from Level 1 support over the phone.

I was originally a Shaw customer using two emails - when I cancelled Shaw, I moved them over to my brother-in-law's Shaw account so I would still have access to my email. When he decided to cancel Shaw and switch to a different provider (months later), I moved all the registrations I had to different email addresses.

Unfortunately, I forgot two - Apple iTunes and Steam.

It's been a year now since my account was deactivated, and perhaps 3 months since my brother in law's account was deactivated. A friend with Shaw said he could enter my previous emails in (as he is only using 2 of his 10 allowable mails) so I could get access to these two again, and then reset passwords/change emails so this wouldn't happen again - however, he received an error trying to recreate them - he keeps getting a "User Name Not Available".

The strange thing is I can login to Shaw Webmail with both of my previous email addresses - but only get to the contacts section. So the ID's are technically still 'there', from what I can see.

I can show that the email accounts were originally set upon my account, and then moved to my brother in laws - is there any way that they can get fully removed/deleted so I can recreate them again?

I'm not expecting anyone at Shaw to give a dang - but I'm hopeful something could be figured out.

Help!
saberon6
join:2011-05-27

saberon6 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Ah! I read that thread on NCIX, semp! =)

Sean is awesome and he'll get you sorted out, just fire him a PM with the requested info. (I like to use Speedtest.net vancouver server, it's always very accurate for me at least (in AB))

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@semp - If you can pm me the information I've requested those with connection issues above, I'll take a look into it for you.

Cheers

Semp
@shawcable.net

Semp to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Hey Sean,

I just switched from Telus to Shaw for internet, and chose you're new Broadband 50 plan. My download speeds are decent (35mb/s) but my upload speeds are absolutly horrible (0.5mb/s at best) I can get better upload speeds on the Telus 3G network on my iPhone... A member of a PC forum thought I should post here and ask you before calling Shaw directly.

Thanks.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@tlcscousin - We'll be calling all of our Salmon Arm customers before any account changeovers are done. For now you're still on the old Sun Country system so there's nothing I know yet until the changes are completed. If you do require technical/account assistance, you can pm me your account details and i'll have a local Salmon Arm rep contact you.

pkarlos_76
join:2004-08-24
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to tlcscousin

to tlcscousin
You should probably contact Shaw imho to get a better package if you have tv, internet, and/or phone for a better price most likely. Although most likely you will get auto upgraded and pay the same pricing + November Price Increases for un-bundled internet.
tlcscousin
join:2008-09-19

tlcscousin to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Salmon Arm BC apparently we start the Shaw Internet the end of November. I currently have the old service providers 15 MB service (extreme), will this get bumped to the 25mb service automatically?I also see a drop in speeds at night some nights as if the node has a small issue but will have to wait until we are totally on the shaw system to troubleshoot.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Hey everyone,

So I've been receiving a lot of pm's recently due to poor speeds with bb50+ connections. I just ask that people provide the proper information first so I can better assist.

Please make sure these steps have been completed and following information is provided:

-bypass any 3rd party hardware
-complete 3 separate speeds tests while directly connected
-ph# or account number
-best time to contact you

This is much appreciated!

Cheers.
ShawSean

ShawSean

I won't have anything for you until Nick returns from holidays
(mid Nov.). It looks like he was investigating the issue. I'll post my findings when he returns.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
ShawSean, can you please provide us with an update about "Error Checking on the SMC" »Shaw data corruption (was: Error Checking on the SMC?) and where the investigation by Shaw has lead and if there is a solution available? I believe at one point you and your team commented in the thread about per suing an investigation. We are looking to get at the root of the cause of the issue and solve it. Plenty of data in the thread is available to your engineers and admins if they actually read the thread as to where to start.

Hank Bonn
@shawcable.net

Hank Bonn to Doonz

Anon

to Doonz
I agree with you Doonz. Rusty Dusty should not say a thing if it is NOT positive !
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to ShawSean

to ShawSean
said by ShawSean:

@tlhIngan - If you guys have any suggestions on how we can improve the guide functionality. please send them and your account details to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. It's your suggestions that help guide(no pun intended) our decision making when improving our current products/services.

It's less about the guide, and more about the UI in general. The guide's OK, sort of, but the UI just irks me because it's quite complex. I suppose one way would be to license the TiVo OCAP software, but there's still the problem that the box feels very sluggish and unresponsive.

And no proper season passes or wishlists (e.g., my TiVo will catch all new episodes of Mythbusters and skip repeats, if I tell it to, or it can record repeats, but only once so if they show up 10 times in a week, it's recorded once).

The best option though would be to use CableCARDs - which have been around in the US for 5 years now. The whole purpose of which lets Shaw secure the signal, but lets users pick their cablebox. If you want TiVo, you get TiVo. If you want Moxi, you get Moxi. If you want Windows Media Center, you get WMC. Or if you just want a TV and no boxes making a mess, they have TVs with CableCARD built in (no different than when they had regular analog cable).

And yes, each CableCARD is treated as the same as a digital box - so Shaw still collects the $3/month per CableCARD. The other benefit is the users who buy these things are all technically knowledgeable since they have to import this equipment at the moment.

crazyea
join:2006-10-26
Surrey, BC

crazyea to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

The metaphor we've thrown around this forums is about riding a bike all the time, or driving a sports car, but getting caught in traffic during rush hour. Some folks would rather ride a bike. Others would rather rip around in their sports car.

Yeh, except that Shaw isnt advertising a fast car. In your scenario they are advertising the autobahn and only letting smart cars on between 5 and 12 each night.

JerryC88
@shawcable.net

JerryC88 to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
hi Sean

yes i've tested it at different hours using Pingtest.net as well as ShawSpeedTest (direct connection always, i turned off wireless)
it seems to get worse now

here are some numbers:

when it seem normal - 18ms (jitter 8ms)

4am in morning - 16ms (jitter 5ms)
in the afternoons - 40ms (jitter 10ms)
evening to around 1am - 80ms (jitter 60ms)
weekend evenings - 130ms (jitter 90ms)

at problematic times the ping results go up and down and are not consistent everytime.
but when i get normal ping the test result are consistent (+-4ms)

any help? =)

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to pkarlos_76

Premium Member

to pkarlos_76
There used to be Discovery, then it was swapped for Discovery World, or whatever it is now. For a couple months, was able to watch MythBusters in HD, no idea why it was removed.

Space won't come until Shaw removes the 85% or more content must be in HD. Space's HD programming, isn't much HD content, it would be nice, only because I don't get Space in SD.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Any idea or if its being worked on when we are getting a HD version of channel 32 and 43 i.e. Space and Discovery that is constantly being advertised on those channels. While there are discovery hd channels in the lineup, none are a HD duplicate of channels 32 or 43.

Oh and btw my PVR failed to record the NEW Merlin TV show episode on Saturday Season 4 Episode 5.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@ravenchilde - Well said sir.

@JerryC88 - I've definitely encountered problems like that before. Are you able to attach or link some speeds test while directly connected to the modem at the problematic times?

@tlhIngan - If you guys have any suggestions on how we can improve the guide functionality. please send them and your account details to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. It's your suggestions that help guide(no pun intended) our decision making when improving our current products/services.
wheeled
join:2004-12-31
Edmonton, AB

wheeled to tlhIngan

to tlhIngan
+1 @ tlhIngan
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

1 edit

tlhIngan to ravenchilde

to ravenchilde
said by ravenchilde:

So while your situation doesn't sound great at the moment, at least you know that over the next 16 months Shaw is working hard to upgrade their network and remove analog channels to make room for faster internet.

Bleh. I hope Shaw fixes their third-party box support then - those cableboxes are really a huge POS with UIs that seem more attuned to a rocket scientist than someone who just wants to watch TV. Or support CableCARD.

You know it's bad when it's easier to just torrent the TV show than to fight the damn cablebox.

JerryC88
@shawcable.net

JerryC88 to pcguy

Anon

to pcguy
hi sean
i have a latency problem right now, just want to see if you encountered it before:

i live in Richmond BC (on Granville/Garden City area)
its a new apartment, still people moving in.
during 5pm - 1am high traffic hours, my ping start to wobble SEVERELY on PingTest ....it gets 90ms ping with 70ms jitter... in a few cases (during late night) i got upwards of 300ms and have packet loss on pingtest
up and down speed also drops, sometimes just stay flat at the bottom of my plan (Highspeed....on Shaw Speedtest)

this is very annoying since it makes my BF3 completely unplayable (i have also tested on other first person shooters so its not my computers problem, and it seems to go away during low traffic hours). what i experience ingame is after moving a few step foward, the server still thinks i was at my last location so it moves me back. So im just running around jittery like that all over the place.

It also seems the problem increases when connecting to USA servers.

thx for the help, let me know if you heard of this before
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde to glombica

to glombica
said by glombica:

two year old neighbourhood.. what a joke. The tech that came out told me that most of the resources are being put towards the analogue switch.. so node splitting is on the back burner it seems. I'm on extreme so i have a docsis 2.0 modem.. which means channel bonding wont help me one bit.

Just a couple points of discussion. The age of your neighborhood has no impact on how popular the service is. In fact if Shaw has a promo with the builder(s) then it could even make Shaw more popular than normal. Extra channels added during the analog upgrade will actually help you. DOCSIS allows your modem to move to a less used channel even if you aren't bonding, so the analog channel removal happening will help you out when more channels are added and modems are distributed across. Channel bonding's advantage is putting frames on multiple channels at a time allowing a modem to exceed the approx 40mbps DOCSIS channel speed.

As we've discussed before in other threads of this forum on the pro's and con's of a high-speed but shared-access system like cable is that at some point (in a normal world) you can get speeds MUCH faster than DSL (100, 250, etc). However, the con is that your access is contention-based where you are competing with other subscribers on the same node during 'peak' hours, when everyone is home from work and browsing/emailing/netflixing/downloading/youtubing/torrenting.

The metaphor we've thrown around this forums is about riding a bike all the time, or driving a sports car, but getting caught in traffic during rush hour. Some folks would rather ride a bike. Others would rather rip around in their sports car.

So while your situation doesn't sound great at the moment, at least you know that over the next 16 months Shaw is working hard to upgrade their network and remove analog channels to make room for faster internet.

As always I recommend folks read about DOCSIS from Ars Technica "The unsung hero of high speed internet"

»arstechnica.com/business ··· cess.ars

»arstechnica.com/business ··· o-30.ars

pcguy
join:1999-10-15
Winnipeg, MB

pcguy to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Thanks Sean. Will see if my frustration levels decrease.
glombica
join:2011-10-16
t6t0n3

glombica to ShawSean

to ShawSean
i had a shaw tech come out on wednesday to see what was up with my connection. low and behold, the node in my area is saturated. I heard the conversation.

"from about noon to 3 am there is barely anything left"

two year old neighbourhood.. what a joke. The tech that came out told me that most of the resources are being put towards the analogue switch.. so node splitting is on the back burner it seems. I'm on extreme so i have a docsis 2.0 modem.. which means channel bonding wont help me one bit.

When i called last week and said hey.. i have half the speed of extreme which is basically around regular high speed speeds. If i switch to regular high speed will i get high speed or pretty much half of what i should be getting..?? CSR reply " pretty much half"

so what do i need to do to actualyl get the speeds i'm paying for?
when the tech pulled out his laptop and did a speed test he said.."this is disgusting" when i asked him why he is using the www.terago.ca speedtest.. "this is what we were told to use"

why not your own speedtest ?

"its finiky at best"
i dont know whether to laugh or cry.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pcguy

to pcguy
said by pcguy:

Tues night after midnight I lost all internet requiring a power cycle of the modem. Around 3PM Wed I lost internet again although this time I did not have to power cycle the modem. When I went to use the computer this morning Oct 27th, at 8AM the internet was down requiring the 2nd power cycling of the modem.

Also it has been 2 days since the analog channels were supposedly removed here in Wpg which was suppose to fix the crappy primetime speeds here. Well it is 00:30AM Friday and this is an example of Shaw Extreme speeds:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5950.png »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6470.png

This has been going on since at least May or June and was only recently confirmed by Shaw that indeed this node does have congestion. How much longer Shaw do I have to put up with this?

Working on it now, I'll be in touch shortly.

pkarlos_76
Edmonton, AB

pkarlos_76 to kevinds

to kevinds
PPV is not available on the Shaw Total Home Gateway it appears, it refers you to Shaw VOD

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to pkarlos_76

Premium Member

to pkarlos_76
The best way is ordering via PPV at a cost of $5.99 for the HD new releases, and I can record them, and watch whenever instead of just for 24 hours.

pcguy
join:1999-10-15
Winnipeg, MB

4 edits

pcguy to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Tues night after midnight I lost all internet requiring a power cycle of the modem. Around 3PM Wed I lost internet again although this time I did not have to power cycle the modem. When I went to use the computer this morning Oct 27th, at 8AM the internet was down requiring the 2nd power cycling of the modem.

Also it has been 2 days since the analog channels were supposedly removed here in Wpg which was suppose to fix the crappy primetime speeds here. Well it is 00:30AM Friday and this is an example of Shaw Extreme speeds:

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 5950.png »www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6470.png

This has been going on since at least May or June and was only recently confirmed by Shaw that indeed this node does have congestion. How much longer Shaw do I have to put up with this?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to pkarlos_76

to pkarlos_76
said by pkarlos_76:

When is Shaw going to lower the price on its HD Movies from 7.99 to a more competitive pricing in the industry? For example for the same movie on Shaw, Apple offers the HD rental for $5.99. I was considering purchasing it from Shaw but after seeing the price I went directly to my Apple TV.

P.S. I am referring to new releases BTW!

Good suggestion, would you mind emailing those comments to shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca w/ your account number or ph#?

Thanks.