uniqs

ninn
join:2008-01-26

ninn to FaxCap

to FaxCap

Re: [ALL] Ask a Shaw Rep

hi shaw_Alex

please allow me to ask you the following questions:

when we buy (not rent) a digital box from shaw do we get a new or a refurbished box

between the technical department (when we call for help)
and shaw retail store (where we visit in shopping mall) who has
the final words in digital box warranty replacement (after 30 days from the date of purchase) issue

what are the proper procedure to make a claim during warranty period (a digital box gets 3 years warranty) will you send a technician to location and physically check and test the box or we can just pack it up and take to a retail store near us after we talked to and follow technical department suggestion

thanks much in advance

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep
join:2010-12-16

Shaw_Alex

Hey Ninn,

1. When you purchase a Digital Box from Shaw, it will be brand new.

2. In most cases, the Service Call Technician will have the final say for warranty replacements. In some cases (such as known issues), a phone representative can get approval.

3. When you have an issue with your hardware, contact technical support first. If the issue cannot be resolved over the phone, we will book a tech. They will have a replacement ready if need to swap the box.

ninn
join:2008-01-26

ninn

thanks so much for your reply shaw_Alex
all questions were well answered
have a good day

Spence
@shawcable.net

Spence to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
I'm running
Model Name: SMCD3GN
Software Version: 1.4.0.40-RES
Hardware Version: 1C

Port forwarding doesn't work at all. When I run nmap on a rule, it comes back as 'filtered'.
I've read the manual, and tried everything.

Googling around I see everyone is running into this, how has this not been fixed? Why was I charged 100$ for a low end router?
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by Spence :

Why was I charged 100$ for a low end router?

Because it is a 4x4 modem and a router.
don00
join:2004-07-22
Victoria, BC

don00 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
WHEN is the upload speed UPGRADE coming to BB50/BB100/BB100+ packages for Victoria? Some of the country has it, some doesn't. You have finished the necessary upgrades for the entire city, yet I still get 5 mbit upload on BB100.

Here is another user from Victoria without the upgraded upload speed:
said by adiabatic:

I've all but given up on seeing my 10 Mbps upload speed on BB100 here in Victoria (View Royal). Although Shaw never made a formal announcement of the service date, the DNU was done long ago (at least 6-7 months). What is the delay?

It's a shame because 100 Mbps down deserves better upload for what is essentially a premium service. 5 Mbps is laughable. My cloud backups are painfully slow, Slingbox streaming impacts the network for others in the house, and so on.

I was told "September" by a tech back in June or July or whatever. I bet if I called Shaw right now, they could give me 250/15 no problem. Press of a button. How come existing users never benefit? I don't believe it's difficult to upgrade BB50/100 users to the new 5 and 10 mbit upload speeds that we were promised way back when. Can you shed some light on this?
afiddy
join:2013-01-01

afiddy to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hi, I was just wondering if there was some sort of system put in place where if you're the one in your area that is congesting the network, then you'll be capped at a certain speed for awhile until congestion is over.

Because yesterday I've downloaded much more than I usually do in a day (about 15 GB more) and now some specific applications that I use are going at 70KB/s while others have 'OK' speeds of about 500KB/s. And whenever I do decide to download something it goes at about 1.8MB/s.

If this system is in place: how long do I have to wait until this speed cap is removed?

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Basically, no.

Downloads will not be shaped.

Uploads can be for non-time-sensitive stuff (however sometimes the system has different opinions what non-time-sensitive traffic is).

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex to don00

to don00
Victoria is still undergoing upgrades. It really depends on the area, as there are a number of factors that are involved. Existing users are the ones that benefit the most from these upgrades as they will automatically have their internet speeds upgraded without changing packages.

Thanks for being patient.

rawrblam
@shawcable.net

rawrblam

Anon

I've been having issues for the last few weeks with severe slowdown during evening hours in the Wolseley area of Winnipeg. I'm consistently getting sub 1 Mb/s down on the shaw speedtest and the upload portion generally times out or fails. This issue is not unique to my area of town and others I have spoken with are having similar issues (some dating back to the fall). I contacted phone support twice and was told both times that there is extreme node saturation during peak hours and that the only thing that can be done to fix it is a node split. Both reps I spoke with were unable to provide me with a timeframe other than to say "that sort of thing is up to Operations and can take some time" which is completely unacceptable. Obviously not every situation is the same but in your experience how long has it taken this sort of thing to be resolved?
WiFiRobbery
join:2013-01-07
Victoria, BC

WiFiRobbery to Shaw_Alex

to Shaw_Alex
Shaw_Alex:

Vic West is brutal during a longer and longer peak period (no seems to run from 7-10:00 PM. This is making my work VPN sessions and any gaming painful. Any idea when the network upgrade is going to happen here.

My account is covered through work - basically more than 20 accounts, and with the complaints my boss is starting to make noises about going Telus. I do not want to go to Telus for internet......

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex to rawrblam

to rawrblam
It really depends. The engineers know far in advance when nodes need to be split, so when areas become saturated it's because we haven't been able to solve the issue on schedule. I wouldn't know exactly what the delay would be, but if you send me your account number i'll do my best to find an ETA.
Shaw_Alex

Shaw_Alex to WiFiRobbery

to WiFiRobbery
If you could send me your account number or address, i'll ask one of the local techs for more information.
WiFiRobbery
join:2013-01-07
Victoria, BC

WiFiRobbery

While not my address, this one will suffice:

750 Front Street
Victoria BC
eject
join:2013-01-23

eject to ShawSean

to ShawSean
How reliable is your bandwidth usage monitor? It's documented through both first hand experience as well as archived and recent forum postings across the Internet as useless, hence your well known soft cap and consistent fluctuations in formatting the presentation of secure.shaw.ca in attempt to remedy the situation as opposed to ostensibly making it more user friendly.

Your current offering displays a broad stroke one month period that either rounds up or down decimal percentiles with no daily breakdown leaving an incredibly vague and inaccurate measurement, so vague that it cannot be taken serious for your impending bump up program and also likely why Shaw opted against implementing Usage Based Billing.

Now here is my problem with it, your inability to track statistics to a high degree of accuracy has left many people with a false sense of security that going over is casually accepted, but they will soon come to find out that is not the case, instead they will find themselves being pestered by a bandwidth enforcement member that will initially be understanding even to individuals deflecting responsibility by blaming malware, unsecured networks or whatever excuse seems plausible. I have recently received one of these calls, and I acknowledged I'd exceeded my package limit with things like torrents, Shaw and a premium newsgroups along with high quality video streaming.

Now with all cards on the table and sunlights disinfecting properties shining bright on my situation I knew I would have to scale back well within the paltry perimeters of my 25mbit service, and since I feel I've been honest about my usage I hope you can put a modicum of credence into my next observation about Shaw's broken bandwidth monitoring.

Since the start of this months recurring billing cycle I have kept heavy tabs on my usage to compare and contrast against Shaw. Currently Shaw has me pegged at approximately 93 gigabyte usage over the course of 6 days while I show 53 as monitored through Network Connections. The past day I made a conscious effort to sparsely utilize my connection which ultimately resulted in 2 gigabyte usage, Shaw tabulated it at 7. So while tying up some loose end downloads that were ceased after being admonished I am shown to have used nearly half my monthly allotment in less than a week. That is unacceptable, just like I acknowledge my excess was, but this is particularly bad embellishment that will likely happen to more people so long as Shaw demonstrates a glaring deficiency in stat tracking.

And while this statement has gone on for too long I must say Shaw has failed to provide a suitable package for pragmatic consumers, as a "power user" I've yet to experience a single scenario of 25mbit not being sufficient to download or stream hd content or be competitive in online gaming, only the data bandwidth requires a substantial boost, a boost that would happily be paid for so long as it didn't involve acquiring another modem and unnecessary throughput.

As for the egregious and maybe criminal stat padding, I will play it by ear, I suspect another phone call soon enough but I will be sure to have my ducks in a row to combat baseless allegation. Unfortunately Shaw holds the cards and like most ruling bodies acknowledging mistakes at the micro level cannot be allowed so to prevent de-stabilizing a ecosystem and plunging it into chaos through diminished consumer confidence. As such I don't foresee a happy outcome unless your service is sorted on a delivery basis, such as implementing an appealing package at the middle tier price points for users not enticed by a thrill of the first user/keeping up with the jones/carnival mark mindset that you're banking on with your fastest Internet promotion, or permanently fixed statistics tracking.

Shaw is without a doubt the best Canadian ISP, they haven't betrayed their customers privacy, they maybe the last or second to last to offer their own usenet server, but they've failed spectacularly at delivering packages to all kinds.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

said by eject:

As for the egregious and maybe criminal stat padding, I will play it by ear...

My experience differs from yours. When I was graphing my routers traffic using Cacti to SNMP the routers interfaces, I found that Shaw was slightly under-reporting usage. Not over-reporting. I'll fire it back up and have another look. I remember at the time other users also reporting under-reporting by the Shaw bandwidth usage page.
eject

eject

Your comment only solidifies my stance on their inability to track, you're just on the other side of the spectrum thanks to their ineptitude like I was prior to my courtesy call. Many experience that until you're on their radar, then you'll find tremendous stat bloating which is why I call into question the laid back attitude most customers have grown accustom only to find out this year they'll be charged extra by being bumped into new packages off the back of shoddy tracking, hence the soft cap reference.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yours is the first I have also seen which indicates it over-reporting. I have only seen it under-report.

The information is not being used for anything at this point, if they start using that data for billing, or anything else, then I would be concerned about how accurate it is.

Right now, it is only used for you to look at it... Bandwidth team usually looks for the top users on a busy node.
eject

eject

I'll definitely be providing detailed information by the end of my next billing cycle for posterity since this so called irrelevant and highly inaccurate information is Shaw's only point of reference for reprimanding and inevitable plan bumping. I was more then pleased to operate from an ignorance is bliss stand point prior to my outing and I don't mean to hinder others taking advantage but it seems like a good time to open a dialogue on the topic.

Shaw_Alex
Official Shaw Rep

Shaw_Alex

Hi Eject,

What services are you using to monitor your home network traffic?
Is it installed on your router or PC?

Would you be able to send me a screen shot of your findings?
I'd like to compare it with our reports and with the help of our Network Analysts find out where the differences are coming from.

If you could PM me with that information along with your account number, i'd be happy to look into it ASAP.

Cheers,

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

1 edit

capdjq

Premium Member

I want to upgrade my Internet from High Speed 25 to Broadband 50. Currently I'm using a Motrola Surfboard Modem 5100 which has given excellent service. Do I have to change my modem?
Thanks.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

Yes, the fastest plan that the SB51xx series modems would work on is the 25 mpbs internet.

50 and faster require a different modem.

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Thanks. What type of modem does Shaw use for Broadband 50? I read some horror stories about these new modems. Are they true?
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

All the horror stories I've heard have been about when they're configured as a router/wi-fi gateway. I've had my DPC3825 in bridge mode for quite some time and have had one problem with it (had to reset it once).

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Thanks. Never had a problem with my modem for years so that's the only reason I'm being reluctant to change.

The DPC 3825 sure has some poor reviews on Amazon.

»www.amazon.com/Cisco-DPC ··· 08C4HDQA
Lesaonar
join:2000-07-25
Victoria, BC

Lesaonar to adiabatic

to adiabatic
said by adiabatic:

Interesting. Roughly when did that happen? I'm in View Royal near the hospital and BB100 is still 5 Mbps up.

The area of Gordon Head we're in, about 8 blocks from UVic, was finished in spring of last year.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to capdjq

Premium Member

to capdjq
Bridge it, the Cisco is good as a good modem...

The ISP can make whatever changes they want to it as well, not all of them are good...
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to capdjq

to capdjq
said by capdjq:

Thanks. Never had a problem with my modem for years so that's the only reason I'm being reluctant to change.

The DPC 3825 sure has some poor reviews on Amazon.

»www.amazon.com/Cisco-DPC ··· 08C4HDQA

That's because its an all in one device. The Cisco is a pretty good modem, but its router features kind of suck. If you get shaw to put the router in Bridge mode, you can connect your own router to it. Which is awesome.

The Cisco when run in Bridge mode is an excellent modem. It's a bit lacking if you run it as an all in once device.

JesterDoobie
@shawcable.net

JesterDoobie to Shaw_Alex

Anon

to Shaw_Alex

Request For an update on Nelson, BC saturation problems.

"We estimate this new connection will be available as early as mid December 2012, and worst case scenario by mid February. I’ll be sure to provide some updates as we enter December on how things are coming along."
by Shaw_Alex, 2012-11-05 12:52:05.
No update yet?

ALSO: I hadda tech @ my home today and HE said that the finish date for upgrades in Nelson has been pushed back to EARLY MARCH? can someone confirm this? Cuz it WAS early Jan. when I signed up, then it was early Feb., then I was TOLD A DATE!!! Of Feb 16th, at the LATEST!! Now it seems I was lied to?
Please clarify. cuz rite now (and since i signed up 2 months ago!) I'm VERY lucky if i get more than 5Mbps, even @ 3AM!!! Speedtest.net said .87Mbps down, .49Mbps up @3am this morning? with a 26ms ping?

Emko
@70.28.245.x

Emko

Anon

When will it get fixed?

Every day for the last month and a half my Internet goes down for a few hours between 11am to 2pm I called Shaw they said it was congestion and that they are working on it, how much longer will this take. I'm in NE calgary. Oh and how does it get congested at that time I thought peek time was at like 7pm to 10pm?