spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Re: [ALL] Ask ShawSean

@qVAMPIREq - pm me your account details if you don't mind, i'd like to see the levels etc.

@uvic2 - 1) still awaiting an updated schedule for our Digital Network Upgrades (DNU). Once I get my hands on it i'll update this thread with that information.

2) Absolutely no idea, sorry.

@cujo74 - if you have suggestions, shawfeedback[at]sjrb.ca. Was that what you were referring to?

@lazz - Nice! no, it's all wired via coax.

Maf0
join:2005-02-10
T6X0X4

Maf0 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Hey ShawSean! Quick question. Seems the online chat nor the people on the phone can give me a straight answer. I get different answers with each person I ask at Shaw. So I thought I'd ask you here. Seems the information I've gotten from you on these forums is fairly accurate so you're my last resort, lol

Do you know an ETA of when BB250 will be available in the Sherwood Park area in Alberta? My postal code is T8C-1J7 if that helps. I'm currently on BB100 so DOCSIS 3.0 is in my area.

Thanks!

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

Sean will post when the new 250Mb plan will be available when he finds out. He has stated that a few times, nor does he know the actual answer yet. We are all excited about this new plan, but unfortunately they haven't released any information, even to their own employees.
j0tun
join:2011-09-17
canada

j0tun to Maf0

to Maf0
Might not want to post your postal code somewhere public, I may feel the need to send you useless things
qVAMPIREp
join:2011-02-28
Calgary, AB

qVAMPIREp to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Click for full size
Speedtest
Thanks Sean! Much Appreciated! A pictures worth a thousand words..

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

said by qVAMPIREp:

Thanks Sean! Much Appreciated! A pictures worth a thousand words..

haha! nice speeds, glad we could help.

Thanks Rusty, yea guys, your guess is as good as mine right now on bb250 but as I've stated before, as soon as I receive word from operations on our DNU upgrades, i'll pass it along to you.
cassijon
join:2011-09-19
Richmond, BC

cassijon

ShawSean,

im in the richmond area and the downed service we all experienced on monday, ive experienced 3 times in the last 3 weeks now. should i expect a credit on my bill?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@cassijon - I apologize about the downtime, it's definitely not what we want to deliver. We're currently undergoing a full Digital Network Upgrade (DNU) in the Richmond area that will allow us to expand our offerings there including Broadband 250 Internet. Our teams are taking the utmost care in ensuring we don't have any downtime for our customers but unfortunately are unable to guarantee this will never happen. If you have any questions about your account, please email us at ecare.help[at]sjrb.ca.

Cheers.
DanteX
join:2010-09-09

DanteX

Sean are you able to elaborate as to what parts of Richmond are being worked on?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

Don't know what exact areas DanteX, sorry.

mrock
@shawcable.net

mrock

Anon

Ok, so I recently upgraded to shaw 50, and my speetests are always fine(recent: 39ms, ~44, ~2.8), but I get huge lag spikes constantly when playing online games (both on PC and Xbox), I'm connected directly through the modem, so how can I fix this?

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to cassijon

Premium Member

to cassijon
said by cassijon:

ShawSean,

im in the richmond area and the downed service we all experienced on monday, ive experienced 3 times in the last 3 weeks now. should i expect a credit on my bill?

I, too, live in Richmond. Haven't had a down time for ages. Guess depends where you live.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to mrock

to mrock
said by mrock :

Ok, so I recently upgraded to shaw 50, and my speetests are always fine(recent: 39ms, ~44, ~2.8), but I get huge lag spikes constantly when playing online games (both on PC and Xbox), I'm connected directly through the modem, so how can I fix this?

We'd have to run a few tests to see if the poor latency is in or outside the network first. Have you run a tracert when you get the bad spikes?

derf007
@shawcable.net

derf007 to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
Hi ShawSean;
I was wondering if you would know if I can use a Cisco Model PDC3010 Cable modem with shaw internet?
My connection service is in prince george and use extreme service. I have posted the message by it's self but got know answer from anyone.
thanks
fred

tardcart
@shawcable.net

tardcart to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
ShawSean i have shaw extreme and a motorolla SB5101 modem.

When downloading files from file hosts i get a lot of lost connections and when it resumes the speed slows to a crawl. A lot of the time the file ends up corrupt with a crc error as well. This has been going on for a couple months now(i think since BB50/100/etc were introduced) and Im not the only one with this problem judging by what others have said online and It is not hardware related on the users end.

What the hell is wrong and why hasnt shaw corrected the problem?

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

2 edits

ShawSean to derf007

to derf007
@derf007 - You can only use the new Cisco modems for our BB50+ broadband packages.

@tardcart - Hey, there's a few things we need to help determine what's going on.

1. Method of download (http/torrent/ftp)
2. If http/ftp, the site. Torrents?
3. Size of file.
4. Is modem in bridged or wireless.
5. 3rd party router, do you have one?

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to ShawSean

to ShawSean
Sean, since switching to my Business BB50, my VOD has been flaky. Both STB's keep giving this error once in a while. Called in once and half way through the conversation with the rep it started working again (of course, right?).

VOD ordering is not enabled on your DCT

Error number: 22471

tardcart
@shawcable.net

tardcart to ShawSean

Anon

to ShawSean
@tardcart - Hey, there's a few things we need to help determine what's going on.

1. Method of download (http/torrent/ftp)
http

2. If http/ftp, the site. Torrents?
filesonic, oron, hotfile, rapidshare, etc.

3. Size of file.
30MB to 8GB, size doesnt matter.

4. Is modem in bridged or wireless.
connects into wireless router

5. 3rd party router, do you have one?
yes, linksys wrt54gl, but i've tried downloading without the router and get the same results.

like i said im not the only one thats been having this issue since the new plans got introduced. i've already tested my hardware to make sure nothing has gone bad and all is good on my end. it sucks having to download files over and over again hoping it doesnt end up corrupt.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to rustydusty

to rustydusty
@rustydusty - hmm, strange you'd get a ordering not enabled message, let me look into it for you.

@tardcart - Thanks for the info, there's a chance your modem may be faulty. If you could register on the site and PM me your account details, we'll be in touch.
newcdn4
join:2011-09-30
Canada

newcdn4

ShawSean i sent you a PM 3 days ago but you haven't replied yet. Please check.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@newcdn - Sorry about that! pm'd you back.

Matt1101
@142.66.38.x

Matt1101

Anon

I ordered shaw 100 back at the beginning of August and I'm wondering why I still don't have my modem. Every time I call (even with the long waits!) i get the same answer "oh right away, by the end of next week".

It's getting frustrating, how long can I expect this to go on for?? I'm being charged quite a bit of money, my account history states +10, +10 -10 for shaw extreme, why do they charge for that at all? The customer service reps just say "the history doesn't reflect your account actually" then what's the point of the history??? Then on top of that I have a fee for internet.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@Matt1101 - Don't know, I'd have to look at your account to get a better understanding at what's going on. PM me your details.
lunatic16
join:2011-10-04
Victoria, BC

lunatic16 to ShawSean

to ShawSean
@ShawSean - Only had Shaw for 2 weeks and the service has been terrible. First they limited my extreme plan to just 10mb which I had to call in to fix and now my since 5pm Monday my Motorola Surfboard SB5102 modem has the receive light blinking. I called into technical support after waiting after waiting 3+ hours last night to just be disconnected. I managed to get a technical rep eventually this morning and he had no idea what was wrong with my modem - couldn't even connect to it or get a response from it - and that a technician would be sent in 24-48 hours. I am at a loss for words here that I have to wait. Shaw used to be so consistent 3 years ago and now it is just constant headaches. If there is anything you could do please help.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to ShawSean

to ShawSean
ShawSean,

I have a question - is there a reason why Shaw doesn't activate non-Shaw equipment anymore?

The reason I ask is I just recently learned that the Motorola M-Stream CableCARDs can be acquired quite cheaply (under $20 shipped). Apparently these cards basically work like a DCT2500 cablebox, but allow connected equipment to be able to decode Shaw's digital TV.

These cards still require a Shaw activation like you have with a real cablebox, but let you use PCs and other DVRs. The only part Shaw loses out on is the sale of the box.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean

@ lunatic16 - If the receive light was flashing and the tech on the phone couldn't get anything from the modem, it sounds like a definite signal issue. A service call is your only solution. Please let me know how things go after the service call though, and if problems persist i'd be happy to help.

@tlhIngan - I'm not sure, my best guess is for support reasons. If you had a signal issue our service techs are only trained/authorized to support our products. We do not support any 3rd party hardware.
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan

@ShawSean - would it be possible to activate such equipment though? Signal issues I don't care about - there are other Shaw PVRs in the house. If there's a signal problem I can see those boxes failing. If it's a problem with the box and the others are fine, then it's not a Shaw problem but my own equipment...

AnonShawGuy
@shawcable.net

AnonShawGuy

Anon

@tlhIngan - there is no way to activate third party equipment. Trying to support third party equipment creates false and failed expectations especially when it doesn't work. You won't find many companies that will allow this any more. Always purchase native equipment from cable providers.

ShawSean
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to tlhIngan

to tlhIngan
No, unfortunately not. We only activate Shaw hardware.

Mukesh
@shawcable.net

Mukesh to lunatic16

Anon

to lunatic16
My parents are here from India and I am looking for the south Asian bundle.

Whats the best deal out there?